Star Wars vs Star Trek or both (1 Viewer)

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I love both.............
I grew up with Star Wars & was introduced to Star Trek in my Late Teens

How about you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I love both.............

The exact opposite. I watched Star Trek from 1969, aged 10, then Star Wars came along when I was 18 and too old for all the wonderful toys.

However, I made a goodly sum selling them as collectables during the 90s. I managed to put a whole set of sealed packaged action figures together on the cheap, then sold them to fund my windsurfing kit. I wish I'd kept them to supplement my pension instead - some of them command three figure prices now.

Personally I prefer the original Star Trek because it was so ground-breaking at the time, on a par with 'Dr Who'. The final episode was broadcast in the USA just before the first moon landing. I don't have much time for all the later spin-off series, although STTNG was for the most part watchable just the once. I found the first three Star Wars movies entertaining and visually very impressive - they helped make Sci Fi respectable, but I thought the last three movies were a waste of time - just Lucasfilm showing off their fancy computer graphics.

In 1989 I spent a weekend behind a dealer's table at a Star Trek Convention in Liverpool. It was like being kidnapped by a religious cult. This classic sketch says it all:

(Shatner got in real trouble with the hardcore fans for that).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I grew up with all of that stuff including every single Dr Who episode. Absolutely love it. I'm a definite science fiction addict.
I even used to watch blakes seven which was rubbish really.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the early star trek with william shatner was excellent and also the first 3 star wars film. Then they sought of ruined it until the new star trek film a few years ago which was brilliant. Haven't seen the very latest film yet but reviews were mixed so not expecting too much.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I never really got Star Wars. I still don't get it.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The recent Star Trek re-boot movies with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Kirk and Spock are very well put together, but they're falling into the trap of rehashing old storylines for the sake of hardcore fandom, instead of developing new and original ideas to attract a new generation of fans. The parallel with the elders of an established religion insisting on sticking to the holy scriptures and the old ways is quite startling.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I never really got Star Wars. I still don't get it.

Farm boy rescues princess imprisoned in impregnable fortress by evil dark lord, with the help of old wizard, pirate, lion, tin man and comedy sidekick. Pretty standard stuff really :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Farm boy rescues princess imprisoned in impregnable fortress by evil dark lord, with the help of old wizard, pirate, lion, tin man and comedy sidekick. Pretty standard stuff really :)

It's all clear to me now:D

Why do they screen the films in reverse though? The first film I saw had Luke Skywalker as an adult and the last film when he was a young boy.

Confuses the hell out of me.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Star wars was ruined by prequals and whatever. Someone who has not seen one can now watch it from episode 1 so that it run coherently together instead of trying to work out who is who where and when. Loved start trek and its follow ons

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
how do you upload pictures in here - upload url ? what n how ?? wheres basic uploader gone to copy pics from my lappy to here ??? :mad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Star trek original and follow on next generation were the dogs daggly bits.

Spin-offs such as deepspace 9 and voyager were the pits.

Once Kirk and Picard etc had beamed up to the after life the whole concept should have been shelved.

As for starwars.....a bit of entertainment once the paint had dried and nowt else to do.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Hilldweller for your Journey into Space with Jet Morgan and Lemmie I raise you Dan Dare pilot of the future from the Eagle! My pals lad thinks that they invent science fiction with Star Trek etc. in addition he didn't realise Dr. Who was sooooooo old!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hilldweller for your Journey into Space with Jet Morgan and Lemmie I raise you Dan Dare pilot of the future from the Eagle!

Eagle, Beano and Dandy wasn't it, long ago.

Fancy a kids comic called Dandy or Beano for that matter. But from memory there was a whole lot of reading and not so many pictures in those days.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Eagle, Beano and Dandy wasn't it, long ago.

Fancy a kids comic called Dandy or Beano for that matter. But from memory there was a whole lot of reading and not so many pictures in those days.
There was Beezer and Topper with cartoons,and Lion,Tiger and Victor for those who can read.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I love both.............

I remember the Star Wars return of the Jedi
Brother in law had a pirate copy and gave it to our son
Daughter had Mary poppins

1 or the other was always on
They used to fight for who's turn it was

The telly and video recorder were on rental
Got so fed up with it
And the constant arguments went and cancelled the contract

Bought a black and white portable telly
Plonked it where the colour telly used to be

Should of seen the faces

Long as a day trip to London
I'd been warning them it would happen

Peace and tranquility returned
We gave in and got a colour portable 13 months later

Wouldn't get a recorder for 4 years

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you like Star Trek enough to watch whole seasons and haven't yet seen the comedy film 'Galaxy Quest', it's worth a look.

..and Star Wars fans might like to take a look at 'Pink Five':

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I loved Star Trek when I was a youngster, me and my friends use to enjoy playing on our 'alien' landscape which was where some old prefabs had been demolished - I was always Mr Spock and had some 'short' trousers and plastic boots plus an old tape recorder microphone that was like one of the communicators complete with a flip up cover ... happy days! :) The first few films were good - especially the 'Wrath of Kahn' - but the last ones were abysmal with such crappy story lines they were just bad comedies! The 'new' Star Trek films though are quite good however I think the worst casting award goes to whoever thought it was a good idea to have Simon Pegg as Scotty and the young lad a Chekov ... their accents are just crap!

Unfortunately I didn't see all of the original Star Treks though as it was shown when it was my Girls' Brigade night ... :mad: so had to catch up with them when I could on our black and white telly (ever tried to watch 'Pot Black' snooker on a B&W telly?).

As for Star Wars - the 'original' 3 were great, especially C3PO (or is it CP3O?) and R2D2, couldn't stand Luke Skywalker though ... what a wimp! Don't like the 3 prequels, they just don't appeal especially since Ewan McGregor as Obi does NOT work!!!

I also used to watch Blake's 7 ... I remember 'Avon' (who the hell thought of that name for a man!) and the weasely wimpish bloke who was always whinging .. it was so bad it was good!!!! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Personally I think the last two Star Trek Films are an absolute blast, yes they are repeating some old stories however they are indulging in alternate realities which makes for a nice twist.

I also like the Star Wars prequels as they explain the story beforehand but I do agree some of the special effects are OTT & thus spoil it a bit.

The original Star Wars blew my mind away when I was a child & I never grabbed the Star Trek till Nxt Gen came along & then I watched them all with the exception of Enterprise which had the Quantam Leap guy in it, I never saw the point in the whole program.

Im itching to see what is instore for us next............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back