Stainless steel fixings in aluminium brackets? Seems like you can... (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vintage
Exp
Can you use stainless screws into aluminium brackets, such as when mounting your solar panels onto some aluminium angle brackets? Does the risk of bimetallic corrosion outweigh the benefits of your screws not rusting?

<Broken link removed>

Stainless steel fasteners in aluminium plates or sheets are normally considered safe, whereas aluminium rivets or bolts holding stainless steel parts together is an unwise combination, as there is a practical risk of corrosion.

So from reading that it seems that using stainless self tappers to fix you solar panels to your aluminum angle brackets is fine.

Just don't use your drill/impact driver with those stainless steel fixings, they may as well be made of aluminum the way they snap!

I was recently "reminded" that I do have hand screwdrivers too :)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Despite being told similar, I installed our large 200watt solar panel with 4 corner, & two side UPVC Brackets by drilling straight through ali sides of the solar panel, and then buying some decent sized SS Pan Head self taping screws.:eek:
Screwed in by hand, as they were just the right length.
No Rust, no Corrosion thus far after 2.5 years.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Jan 7, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vintage
Exp
Steve and Denise My screws were reassuringly expensive thank you, as was my inappropriately used impact driver! Actually getting the pilot hole the right size was key.

Silver-Fox I wanted to be able to remove the panels, and using rivets would have prevented this. There is a raised lip down the side of the roof which meant I wouldn't have been able to get a drill in to take out the rivets. The panels are quite close to that lip, but using hex head screws I can get a spanner on them if required.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Steve and Denise My screws were reassuringly expensive thank you, as was my inappropriately used impact driver! Actually getting the pilot hole the right was important was key.

Silver-Fox I wanted to be able to remove the panels, and using rivets would have prevented this. There is a raised lip down the side of the roof which meant I wouldn't have been able to get a drill in to take out the rivets. The panels are quite close to that lip, but using hex head screws I can get a spanner on them if required.

I can see where your coming from.
But screwing into Ali tends to be a one time process.

Keep doing and you’ll lose the “thread” 😊

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
What about using some copperslip on the screws to help isolate the two metals? Just an idea. No science behind it.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I still would not use SS fixings in aluminium externally unless using a Duralac a coating which eliminates the galvanic risk and is used by yacht riggers. Simple to apply like locktite.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I still would not use SS fixings in aluminium externally unless using a Duralac a coating which eliminates the galvanic risk and is used by yacht riggers. Simple to apply like locktite.
Yacht riggers are contending with the possibility of continual exposure to salt water. Roof mounted on a mh a fastener has a much easier life. Having said that I tap the holes in the panel to accept an M5 Allen head fastener. Tapping for this purpose can be done with the tap in a drill/driver at low speed. When I removed a panel from a van I was selling it had been on 4 years. It came off as though I had fitted it the day before. All I do to protect the fastening is spray the screw with white chain grease before assembly. I don't like self-tappers for anything if there's a better alternative. MS self-tappers are worse than stainless for corroding in aluminium.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
For info:-

I fitted my 130 W solar panel about 7/8 years ago to my B544.
I used s/s self tappers to secure the aluminium frame of the solar panel to the aluminium brackets.
I have removed the panel twice and would have used the next size self tappers if the threads had been stripped.
I have found no evidence of corrosion during this period or when the panels were removed.
Will be doing my annual 'security' check next week.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Ok, whats wrong with using rivuts and ss machine screws/ bolts?
Apart from the "expense "

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
What about using some copperslip on the screws to help isolate the two metals? Just an idea. No science behind it.
I don’t think that would work as it might conduct. There is a product called Duralac made for this purpose. Widely used on yacht rigging where stainless fittings are fitted to aluminium masts. You don’t need a lot but it’s expensive stuff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back