Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
A young fit man like you buying an electric bike:eek:

Don't know about the make but electric bikes sure are great when you get into your 50s and start becoming unfit.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Can't help with that store, but if you're heading further south this may help.
Bought ours in Germany in May whilst there, good price and great discount!
The shop we went to was in Bad Worishofen in Bavaria, Trubenbacher cycles, owner speaks perfect English. Hope that may be useful.
I bought a seriously heavy lock and chain from a motorcycle shop, much more secure than bicycle chains !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Can't help with that store, but if you're heading further south this may help.
Bought ours in Germany in May whilst there, good price and great discount!
The shop we went to was in Bad Worishofen in Bavaria, Trubenbacher cycles, owner speaks perfect English. Hope that may be useful.
I bought a seriously heavy lock and chain from a motorcycle shop, much more secure than bicycle chains !
Thanks for that but we aren't going that far over this year

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
What took you so long? ☺️
It was watching you showing off and flying past those Segways going uphill!

We hired some yesterday to clime 600m up one of the 'hills' in the Vosges Mountains.

It was 4 miles (approx) none stop up hill, that easily sold Bets on the idea

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Only to make sure and try a few first.
I don't know why, but I found the geometry different to a standard bike, and that made it difficult to find one that was comfortable.
When looking at the motors, bosch and yamaha are both good, but there are different models from each so make sure you are comparing like with like.
@BreweryDave has more experience of the German market.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We brought an ebike from Trimpe in Neustadt which is about 30 mins from Mannheim. Large store about 15 different e-bikes to try and really good service.

Last edited:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Try to pedal one without the power on. I had a go on a Bosch Mid Drive not the easiest to pedal. Watch out for weight some of the cheaper ones are heavy. I converted my MTB using a Bafang kit. Worked out cheaper as I already had the bike. Just stripped the Bafang kit off our old bikes and fitted them to a couple of fold up bikes that fit nicely in the garage. If you go down the kit route you are not restricted as you can play with the speed settings. Manufactured ones are fixed at 250w ..

DSC03258.JPG

The Bafang motor drives the front chain wheel. Nice thing about them is you can buy parts should you break something. 9 speed gearing on the back means they will climb hills happily.

They also have electric bikes with a motor in the wheel. These are Ok on the flat but not that good on hills. The motor in the wheel has to be able to deliver power over a very wide range where as the mid drive only has to turn the crank at about 70 rpm max.

These weigh just under 20kg with the batteries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We got ours from https://www.fahrrad-xxl.de must be the biggest dealers in germany you will not believe how many bikes they have, and they have them in all sizes, unlike some of the smaller shops. :eek: :LOL: Bob.
Yes that is the other large dealers we have found, but I didn't realise that the had a branch in Mannheim,we will look at both

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back