LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have a laptop with a smallish ssd drive for OS etc, and a 1TB hard drive.

Whats the easiest way to clone the ssd onto a 1tb internal ssd?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I use Macrium Reflect Free for this kind of thing however if it's Windows 10 this has an inbuilt cloning tool for exactly this.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
You'll need to change boot order from SSD to HDD in the BIOS.
Are you doing this to subsequently replace the SSD? If not, booting from the HDD will be slower than the SSD.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I use Macrium Reflect Free for this kind of thing however if it's Windows 10 this has an inbuilt cloning tool for exactly this.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
You'll need to change boot order from SSD to HDD in the BIOS.
Are you doing this to subsequently replace the SSD? If not, booting from the HDD will be slower than the SSD.
Im thinking of changing the 128g ssd for 1tb, clone and replace..

Whats the cloning tool in w10?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Im thinking of changing the 128g ssd for 1tb, clone and replace..

Whats the cloning tool in w10?

If you're doing that I would use a 3rd party cloning tool, eg Macrium Reflect that takes a current snapshot of the 128Gb SSD which you save to an external drive, eg USB stick \ HDD.
You then change over the SSD \ HDD and boot from the Macrium Reflect recovery \ cloned drive.
Note you still have the original installation if any goes wrong but I've never had this happen!(y) First time for anything right enough!:eek:
Once you done the clone to the new drive it will look just like the current installation but on the larger drive. It should automatically re-activate (if required?) when connected to internet.
The Macrium site has full details on the process.(y)
We've used it on XP, Vista, W7 and W10 machines over a number of years (since v4.something).
As an side you can then use this clone to re-install anytime further down the road as a disaster recovery plan. We take mirrors of our OP systems fairly regularly to cover virus infection, hardware failure, etc.

The "cloning" option in Windows 10 is really a re-installation of the original factory default installation done by creating a recovery drive and then installing that. After done you then need to re-install \ remove any software updated after the factory default.

Hope this helps.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
There is an alternative which is more of a faff and that is a clean install which has the advantage of not taking any 'junk' with it. Take an image after you have installed either W10 and or W10 plus apps.

MS has ful details of the process and you will need a USB and also set up an MS account then there are no digital licence issues.

Definitely more time consuming than cloning though!

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
I´ve recently replaced a 250gb ssd with a 500gb ssd (on a desktop), and just used the cloning software from the manufacturer of the new ssd - simple and quick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Acronis is the software often provided by the manufacturers for this. But to work you will need a way of mounting the new drive and old drive. Very few laptops have space internally to mount a second HDD or SSD, so usually you'll need a USB case for that second drive. Instructions to clone with Acronis are fairly straightforward as Acronis itself will boot from a USB or CD so you can then start the process. Can't remember for certain but I think the new drive should be installed in the laptop, and the old drive is put into the USB holder to clone from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back