Squeeky clean new fulltimer (1 Viewer)

Which ISP should I select for Europe wide reception?

• Best for France

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best for Spain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Europe wide

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Mobile network!

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

roger loiselle

Deleted User
Having now taken delivery of a brand new Auto Trail Cheyenne 660, we only await my retirement from teaching in December before we leave sunny Weymouth to go fulltime touring in Europe, France first, then make it up as we go along. I have researched for almost a year now but am still behind the 8 ball on communication, I have bought a laptop with wireless ability, I dont know which ISP to select or how to get connected, any suggestions.

This is our first motorhome experience so we are absolute virgins but as an ex submariner I have had experience in living in confined spaces, my wife Jackie, and the cat Bunty have not had any experience at all. Take care all.
With one foot on the slippery slope, Regards Roger Loiselle.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Roger, unfortunately there is no one ISP that can help you. You could spend about £3500 and then £500 a year and have internet everywhere in Europe If this is not beyond your reach thenn see the>> Link Removed. If, like me, that price is beyond you then the next best thing is to get a "Dongle". You can get these unlocked and this enables you to buy a Sim for the country you are in. This is the cheapest way by far.

Meanwhile, welcome to the fun:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Roger,
And welcome from another newbie from Weymouth..
I am sure your question`s will be answered from some members,, I have learned a lot since I joined.
Enjoy the club/site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
In my opinion you need an e-mail account that is independant of an ISP - googlemail is fine. You can then access, and send e-mail from anywhere.

The ISP doesn't matter except at home! In fact you dont need one at all.I am currently using free wireless (wifi) at a campsite in the Pyrenees. Many (not all) camp sites have wifi, some are free, some charge very little and some are quite expensive. Some work all over the site, some just in the bar (not a huge problem!).

Failing that, there are wireless hotspots in other places, and in France I found you could use internet free in some town halls. (But sadly french keyboards are not the same as UK, which takes some getting used to).

As a back up you can connect using a mobile phone as a modem. Expensive for web browsing, but I find I can check e-mails for about 60p from spain using the mobile. If you do this you must remember first to switch off all the automatic windows updates, virus updates etc that most laptops have, otherwise over a mobile phone it will take ages and cost a fortune.

Hope this helps.

colonel

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Roger

We are doing the same thing early next year and having spent some time looking, I agree with motorhomer. There should be many wifi points on campsites and other internet cafes etc. So unless you want to keep in touch on an hourly basis or for your business then you won't need more than that.

Good luck Roger, we should be setting off about the same time but we're doing UK first just so Tina can get acclimatised.:thumb:

tyrangie1

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Welcome

Hi Roger and Jackie welcome to the fun we are hoping to do the same next year. E:thumb:njoy the freedom

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back