Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I have a squeak coming from my rear end, wife has looked for it internally even when we are on the move but can’t track it down.

It’s a short high pitched squeak and doesn’t happen when I am sitting still but almost every time I hit a bump or pot hole it happens.

Any ideas?

FYI it’s a 2012 Bessacarr E562 on Ducato Alko.

I have read something about grease and shims but no idea if that’s for 2012 models.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We had a similar noise in our 2014 Bailey with the Alko AMC chassis - the squeak went away after having it greased. The only reason I knew it needed greasing though was because there was an Alko book in with all the manuals which mentioned it.

I'm still not sure how to tell if the chassis is one that needs greasing or not just by looking at it - so if anyone has any tips I'd be happy to hear them because I'm still trying to work out whether our Rapido one needs it or not!

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Im in no way an expert some Alko axles require annual greasing. Mine had a similar squeak at one year old which went away when the rear axle was greased. BTW the vehicle has to be jacked up for the greasing or it doesn’t spread sufficiently. I think there are old threads on the process but might be easier to get a garage to do it
tk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Informative
Reactions: M-J

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
We had a similar noise in our 2014 Bailey with the Alko AMC chassis - the squeak went away after having it greased. The only reason I knew it needed greasing though was because there was an Alko book in with all the manuals which mentioned it.

I'm still not sure how to tell if the chassis is one that needs greasing or not just by looking at it - so if anyone has any tips I'd be happy to hear them because I'm still trying to work out whether our Rapido one needs it or not!
There are two nipples, one at either end of the ones that need greasing. I think the annual greasing is essential not just for squeak elimination but torsion rods can fail (expensive, they say) if its neglected.
tk

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Any suspension bit with rubber bushes is prone to squeak in dry hot weather. In summer in the 60's when I was an apprentice (earning £3.25 a week) at a Jag main dealer I became expert at lubricating the bushes for anti-roll bars after customers complained of squeaking. We used brake fluid as lubricant. I don't know why we didn't use oil or grease but maybe it was because 55 years ago the bushes were actually rubber rather than today's neoprene/silicone or some such modern compound material.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
DangerMousy Here’s an article taken from Practical Motorhome May be useful?😊🤔

Servicing and care​

In terms of servicing, guidance is provided in the handbook, which suggests that the axle should be greased every 20,000km or 12 months, whichever comes first. Each side of the axle will require three to four squirts of grease into each nipple, to keep everything inside the axle tube properly lubricated, or until resistance in the pump is felt.

“AL-KO recommends use of the following grease for lubricating the bearings on the axle tube: Klüber Stabutherm GH 461 or Fa CONDA – Cardex 3746 SP.” It might be old technology, but a hand grease gun is sufficient. However, this must take place when the axle is unladen, that is, with the motorhome raised and safely supported with stands under the chassis, so the axle is free of weight. The grease nipples can be found on the lower side of the axle tube, pointing downwards one either side and protected by a plastic cap.

At no time should the motorhome be jacked up using this tube. So if at any time post-warranty, you are using a non-franchise garage, do warn them of this fact.

It’s also worth noting that AL-KO chassis lubrication would not be included in the base vehicle manufacturer’s scheduled service criteria. Regarding other service requirements, the chassis components do not need any servicing and unless the vehicle is involved in a collision or is damaged through misuse while in operation, it is unlikely that any premature failure will occur.

When checking for maintenance-free axles (that is, no grease nipples), these can be identified by the AL-KO axle type plate, which is located on the right-hand axle housing and will have a ‘CA’ designation

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I’ve got the manual out and it’s the Alko AMC chassis and in there it says grease every 20k or annually. Just rang the garage that looks after it hoping to book in for next week. Waiting for a call back as it would be a slot in job because they are so busy.

Thanks all.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
DangerMousy Here’s an article taken from Practical Motorhome May be useful?😊🤔

Servicing and care​

In terms of servicing, guidance is provided in the handbook, which suggests that the axle should be greased every 20,000km or 12 months, whichever comes first. Each side of the axle will require three to four squirts of grease into each nipple, to keep everything inside the axle tube properly lubricated, or until resistance in the pump is felt.

“AL-KO recommends use of the following grease for lubricating the bearings on the axle tube: Klüber Stabutherm GH 461 or Fa CONDA – Cardex 3746 SP.” It might be old technology, but a hand grease gun is sufficient. However, this must take place when the axle is unladen, that is, with the motorhome raised and safely supported with stands under the chassis, so the axle is free of weight. The grease nipples can be found on the lower side of the axle tube, pointing downwards one either side and protected by a plastic cap.

At no time should the motorhome be jacked up using this tube. So if at any time post-warranty, you are using a non-franchise garage, do warn them of this fact.

It’s also worth noting that AL-KO chassis lubrication would not be included in the base vehicle manufacturer’s scheduled service criteria. Regarding other service requirements, the chassis components do not need any servicing and unless the vehicle is involved in a collision or is damaged through misuse while in operation, it is unlikely that any premature failure will occur.

When checking for maintenance-free axles (that is, no grease nipples), these can be identified by the AL-KO axle type plate, which is located on the right-hand axle housing and will have a ‘CA’ designation
That sounds very similar to what was written in the Alko book we had with the Bailey, the instructions are pretty clear and we have a garage locally that can do it. Unfortunately though the Rapido manual doesn't make any mention of whether our axle needs greasing (or not) :frowny: - some are apparently sealed and don't need it.

What has stumped me so far is knowing what to actually look for on the axle - I think I've found a picture though:
WP_20160624_002-550x737.jpg

And thanks to Wagoneer's tip:
If the AL-CO chassis has 2 nipples on the rear axle...it needs greasing. My nipples face forwards and about 30cm inboard from the wheels on each side. Mine are covered with a yellow dust cover.
I think I know where and what to look for now (y)

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Alko grease done, didn’t need much but the mechanic had a good luck underneath and noticed a small amount of play in the fresh water tank brackets so that was dealt with too.

Squeak gone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back