Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
No, not what some of you smutty minded individuals are thinking. :clap2::clap2:

The bed squeaks like crazy in the upright position when I am driving, and I mean squeaks, when it is at its worst we have to shout to communicate, and its one of those "gets in your head" noises that becomes the total focus of your attention.

I have tried oiling all the anchor points, and the last try was to spray teflon spray like I had shares in the company, but still the bloody infuriating noise persists.

At the weekend i took down the end curtains and sprayed the teflon everywhere, holding a cloth underneath to catch the runoff, I absolutely saturated all the moving and fixed parts, checked the bolts were tight and cleaned the struts.

After about half a mile the squeak slowly returned a i took bends in the road and within 5 or 6 miles was back at full strength. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The only thing left to do that I can think of is to remove all the fixings one by one and grease them but, as anyone with a dropdown bed can imagine, I am reluctant to do this as it will be a b*gger of a task.

Any (useful?) suggestions for a remedy gratefully accepted before i go the rest of the way to insanity, the wife always says I am barking but this has got me howling.:Grin::Grin::Grin:

TIA,

Hymie

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Thanks Dux, I'll have a look on amazon/ebay for a can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Is the bed moving side to side when driving? On mine there is a bolt either side to reduce the movement. I find that if the bolts have slackened, the bed rattles when driving.

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Did not know there was a specific bolt for that but did check all bolts were tight, which bolts are these Detnor?

Found Lithium grease in Halfrauds for a fiver a can Dux.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you can make it squeak with the van stationary, perhaps by wobbling it, then use a helper to feel each joint. The squeaking joint will vibrate. Incidentally there are bushes where the rear support tube passes through the ends of the bed - did you lubricate them as well as the rest?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I will more than likely be the van walls ie frame that is squeaking screws in wood etc resonating
Make your own brackets if all else fails to take out sideways movement as already hinted at.or simply wedge the bed both sides, movement is the most likely cause. not tight or dry fittings
place pillows at each end to pack out and make sure retaining strap is tight
G

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Are you sure its the bed? We had a dreadful squeak that sounded like it was the bed but it turned out to be the hinges on the driver's door.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Good point from Geo. In our case we easily traced it to dry joints (MMM reported same issue when they road tested this model) and careful spraying using the "straw" in all joints worked. Rocking the bed when stowed showed what was happening

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
On mine, there is a patch of material on either side of the bed base. It matches up with a bolt that has a rubber cap. The bolt is screwed into the frame and has a nut to adjust in and out. 13mm from memory.
I started off by stuffing a sponge up the side, this stopped the squeaking on mine, then looked at the bed adjusters.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
If you can make it squeak with the van stationary, perhaps by wobbling it, then use a helper to feel each joint. The squeaking joint will vibrate. Incidentally there are bushes where the rear support tube passes through the ends of the bed - did you lubricate them as well as the rest?

Did that with our S650...and that's were the squeaking was coming from...cured it with a few drops of engine oil as it's a bit thicker and stays there.

Allen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back