SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE ... nah! (1 Viewer)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We drove past the tunnel as our £35.00 Chinese truck sat nav that everyone discredits was set to "coach" and saw lot of black lines and noticed the dangly chain is very close to the tunnel mouth. I would imagine it's a nightmare trying to back out of there.:eek:
I hope your Moho is easily fixed. :)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We narrowly missed it a couple of years ago, managed to divert just in time - I have now vowed never to go through Rouen again. Thanks to Keith Chesterfield for the suggestion of going to LA MAILLERAYE SUR SEINE AIRE and his great YouTube videos. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've been through Rouen many, many times but I can't picture this tunnel you're all on about.
The one in our case goes off the side of a big road, and according to the signs and sat nav is a straight on at a roundabout, you have no need to take it at all, just carry on to the roundabout in the normal way, but if you are in the inside lane it sort of puts you on the slip to go under the roundabout, which is straight on but you don't need it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
So sorry to hear this. We've had two close shaves in our early days of visiting France. One was on a campsite where a tree leaped out and tried to smash the roof. Fortunately was only doing about 3 mph so stopped before any damage was done. Second, SatNav (bless her) tried to take us through a tunnel with a height barrier in Dieppe in the rush hour. Heavy braking and then reversing back up the slope - other motorists merrily honking and waving at us with two fingers.

Apr 7, 2013
Middlesex
Funster No
MH
VWT5
Exp
I'm a newbie
I feel your pain! I had a close shave in a multi storey car park in Carnavon (sorry can't spell it right). You know, one of those where you can't see the height restriction until it's too late and the choice is between backing up (not good at going backwards) and risking it. This car park had really low concrete ceilings. I found myself hunching low over the steering wheel which surprisingly made no difference at all. I got out of there as quick as possible.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been along the road in Rouen and you do have to have your wits about you to avoid using the tunnel which is where you are directed to by the sat nav (if it doesn't know your height), but so long as you don't go belting along like a nutter you do have time to manoeuvre to where you are safe to go, ie via the roundabout instead of under it. I think there are other places that have the same set-up but they tend to have lower underpasses so the gap is bigger, but could still catch out those with high MHs especially those with sat domes on!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I feel your pain! I had a close shave in a multi storey car park .

My work sent a minibus full of guys away on a course, there was a multi storey next to the hotel and they just managed to fit the bus into it. On day three, as they turned the corner to the car park on their return, Big Lawrence the twenty stone sparky asked to be dropped off to buy a paper, they carried on into the multi storey and ripped the roof rack off on the entrance :LOL:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
We've been along the road in Rouen and you do have to have your wits about you to avoid using the tunnel which is where you are directed to by the sat nav (if it doesn't know your height), but so long as you don't go belting along like a nutter you do have time to manoeuvre to where you are safe to go, ie via the roundabout instead of under it. I think there are other places that have the same set-up but they tend to have lower underpasses so the gap is bigger, but could still catch out those with high MHs especially those with sat domes on!

Hi Minxy Girl.
"Belting along like a nutter"........ YOU promised me! That was to be our secret,last time i tell you anything!
Tea Bag An Oyed.
Edit. THAT's the *****&&%%*** n Bridge LOL

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Minxy Girl.
"Belting along like a nutter"........ YOU promised me! That was to be our secret,last time i tell you anything!
Tea Bag An Oyed.
Edit. THAT's the *****&&%%*** n Bridge LOL
I did say LIKE a nutter ... so didn't tell people your real secret that you ARE a nutter!!! :)

Ooop!!!! :rolleyes:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@Madeinengland Hope you are ok and still able to travel , or are you on your way home? Is the van holding up and no more bits loose?
Safe travels.

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
@Madeinengland Hope you are ok and still able to travel , or are you on your way home? Is the van holding up and no more bits loose?
Safe travels.

Hi Anthea, van still holding out ok thanks. Informed insurance company and they were very nice, said to contact them once home, and they hoped it wouldn't spoil our holiday.
We're the France side of the Pyrenees tonight and should be in Spain tomorrow unless we find another stop we like.
We're getting used to everything now, so not quite so daunting... We'll be pro's soon. Lol (y):)

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Really sorry to hear about your experience. Hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.
What was the headroom on the tunnel and how tall is ( was ) your van

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
An old friend came home after a trip away, saw his wife had left the garage door open so he thought he'd drive straight in.

Trouble is, the trip away was cycling. His (extremely expensive) brand new bike was on it's roof carrier. So that's a claim for a new bike, a new bike carrier, a new rear windscreen for the car and a new garage door then.......

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Really sorry to hear about your experience. Hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.
What was the headroom on the tunnel and how tall is ( was ) your van

The MH is 10ft Height.....(not quite so tall now :( ) And the problem was I didn't know the height of the tunnel (underpass) :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back