Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Only recently acquired a 2004 Starline 680 with 6 speed Sprintshift. First thing is that I absolutely love driving it and although only had it weeks, were on the Costas having a 'shakedown' trip. It's performing perfectly I'm pleased to say.

So now the question; the handbrake is not great and I have to fairly pull on it to keep it on levelling ramps when needed. No doubt needs some adjustment when home. With having no park to select I'm slightly concerned about the sailing from Bilbao in a few weeks. I believe though I can request a couple of chocks when parking up on the ship. Is there any mileage in leaving in gear, 1st or reverse when turning off engine? I have read about issues with Sprintshift getting stuck in gear.

On that learning curve with new van so any thoughts and opinions helpful.

Cheers Dave

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes you can still leave it in gear, our euramobil was sprintshift and always left it in gear. (y) Bob.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Dave, we always used the chock that is in the garage whilst on levelling ramps. We've also used the Santander ferry, amongst others on many occasions, leaving the sprintshift in neutral, the handbrake on and never had an issue. Anthony seems to think from memory that they may use chocks or chains on the Spanish ferry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Yes you can still leave it in gear, our euramobil was sprintshift and always left it in gear. (y) Bob.

Thanks Bob and Janie that's handy to know. Hope you two are both well and good :). Just trying to remember who it was we asked about you both...think it was Jock and Rita that told us you were enjoying Portugal (y).

Hi Dave, we always used the chock that is in the garage whilst on levelling ramps. We've also used the Santander ferry, amongst others on many occasions, leaving the sprintshift in neutral, the handbrake on and never had an issue. Anthony seems to think from memory that they may use chocks or chains on the Spanish ferry.

Kim, yes I've used the chock a couple of times and it's fine. It's probably fine with the handbrake just well firmly applied. It's my OCD kicking in...I generally checked the handbrake about 4 times and put old Harry in gear...then checked that again, then again...before leaving the car deck...then probably said to Ginny going up the stairs "did I put it in gear?". ;););)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Always left my Mercs in gear and never had a problem. Fiat say you should not leave their auto in neutral.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
With mercedes handbrakes if its the shoe in disc set up always buy gen Merc shoes as it can be very difficult to get good performance with non gen shoes . JMHE
Dont they tie em down on ferries any more ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back