Sprinter van front axle weight issue. (1 Viewer)

The2i's

Free Member
Nov 7, 2016
Appleby, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2016
We have a lwb Mercedes Sprinter PVC (Lunar Landstar). Before stumbling across MHF, I had no idea that it would be so easy to go over the permitted gross weight for the vehicle, so decided to get it weighed last week.
The van has a towbar fitted, and with the two of us in our seats, a full fuel tank and most of the paraphernalia that we normally take still on board, but no water at all, no bikes, no dog, no clothing and no food, beer & wine, the weight was 3,480kg. So, I reckon I've been driving around at about 200kg overloaded during the last few months when travelling. Replating it is then.
The big surprise was that the front axle weight was 20kg overloaded. Our joint weight is 165kg, yes, we could shed a few pounds and reckon that's possibly the best plan to relieve the load at the front. There's a towrope, jumpleads and first aid kit at the front that could be moved back, but nothing else. Putting the bike rack and bikes onto the towbar will help reduce the front load. After that, we have to load everything right at the back where we have a potential 300+kg capacity.
I've been in touch with SV Tech, hoping to get things sorted out as quickly as possible. The reply from them suggested that this is a common problem on Sprinters and VW Crafters. In fact, they have upgraded the front suspension on over 200 VW's for this issue, not a paper exercise but a very expensive job involving many replacement parts.
The main reason for posting is to warn Sprinter owners to check axle weights as well as gross weight, particularly those with an over cab bed used as a storage area.
(I've posted this as a reply on another thread, but felt it was worth starting a new one)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hope it goes through OK for you :)(y)

I think the clue with paper exercise or physical changes depends on the axles weights as registered, if you have spare weight it is a paper exercise, otherwise suspension work or other physical change is needed

Ours had 500kg 'unused' so was nice and easy :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My front axle loading is close to maximum too. Probably a problem with the larger 3L engine, plenty on the back axle so the more on the bike rack the better. SWMBO won't let me have a scooter though. Reckons they're dangerous. I used to carry one years ago, handy to get the bread in the mornings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The2i's

The2i's

Free Member
Nov 7, 2016
Appleby, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2016
My front axle loading is close to maximum too. Probably a problem with the larger 3L engine, plenty on the back axle so the more on the bike rack the better. SWMBO won't let me have a scooter though. Reckons they're dangerous. I used to carry one years ago, handy to get the bread in the mornings.
Mine's got the 2.2L so probably has a lower capacity on the front axle, which is 1650kg. A scooter sounds to be a good idea, I think.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back