Split chargers? (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
Ok here we go again! Not having dealt with one before I am not 100% sure on the workings of mine.

Autocruise Vista 2001

(recovering from flu so unable to go and look, but bored and need something to occupy my mind)

I have a panel with a light for the charger when connected the mains.? There is a switch for van and car.

If I am plugged in does this means I can charge either battery depending on the switch position?

Van is the leisure battery and car is the starter battery, I think.
When the engine is running it will charge the starter battery. Does it switch to the Leisure battery when the starter battery is charged?
Does it make a difference where the van/car switch is set, or is it automatic.

Well basically, how the hell does it all work, so that I don't end up with a flat leisure battery?

It's all a mystery to me!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Get a German van, does everything automatically. :Grin:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the switch has been wired correctly it will charge, via the mains charger, whichever battery is selected
If no mains available (wild camping etc) you can select either battery to power the habitation electrics but you may end up with a flat engine battery if you select that battery.
I would ONLY use it as a last resort if the leisure battery went flat.

Split charge is a separate thing and will begin charging the leisure battery as soon as the engine is started.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes the switch determines which battery to use and charge whilst on hook up

the split charge in a basic system like yours relies on a relay to take power from the alternator to charge the leisure battery. the alternator simultaneously charges the van battery regardless of whether the leisure battery is being charged or not

OP
OP
J
Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
So if I start the engine and put a meter on the leisure battery it should show charge straight away, no matter what the switches on the panel are set at?

As for buying German, maybe I would if I could afford to, but this van is the perfect size for us at the moment, with a brilliant spec (if a little worn) in a Tardis like space, at a price we could afford.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So if I start the engine and put a meter on the leisure battery it should show charge straight away, no matter what the switches on the panel are set at?

As for buying German, maybe I would if I could afford to, but this van is the perfect size for us at the moment, with a brilliant spec (if a little worn) in a Tardis like space, at a price we could afford.
sometimes there is a brief delay in the relay opening, but yes the voltage at the battery will rise with the engine running

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back