Split charge system when on mains hook up (1 Viewer)

JGriff

Free Member
Sep 24, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Renault Master LWB Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I've recently purchased a converted van and have totally redone the 12v electrics but I have a query.

I have fitted a smartcom unit to charge the leisure battery when the engine is running. And the previous owner fitted a "interpower 10amp" charger from a swift caravan to charge the leisure battery when on mains hookup.

Would it be ok to fit a second smartcom unit but swap the input and outputs so that when on the mains hook up the "interpower 10amp" unit can charge the main van battery and the leisure battery simultaneously.

Thank you for your help

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No reason why a voltage sensitive relay wouldn't work in the way you propose.
The only problem I see is that with having two such devices, the 10 amp mains charger might not keep up with your leisure battery discharge in such circumstances. Both batteries would effectively become one big leisure battery wit both being connected to each other under mains charging conditions.
Take out more than 10 amps over a period and you might well find you have 2 flat batteries rather than just the leisure battery.
Therefore, no way of starting the engine until the mains charger has replenished both batteries to sufficient capacity.
I would suggest you do away with the voltage sensitive relay for split charging and replace it with a conventional d+ alternator fed split charge relay. Then, use your redundant voltage sensitive relay in the way you describe to split your mains charging between the starter and leisure battery.
This will ensure you can't discharge your starter battery whilst on site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back