TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
At the moment my leisure battery is completely independent of the van's charging system - I just top it up before I go out and it usually does me fine.

I want to put it into the charging system and I'm thinking of the Brocott self Switching Relay. Has anybody any thoughts on this - is it as simple as it seems?

Thanks.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi relays are around £6 single or 8 quid for the twin ie l / batt and fridge, that sounds like a posh one at 14 quid and yes it is as simple as that :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would say it's worth the small extra cost .. :thumb:

This intelligent self switching split charge relay is used for charging a second battery from your main vehicle (crank) battery. This relay is different from other standard split charge relays, in that it monitors the main battery voltage and monitors the second battery voltage and only switches the charge to the secondary battery on when required, so no over charging can take place and also ensures that the main battery charge is maintained and wont leave you with a flat.

and yes, it's that simple .. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would say it's worth the small extra cost .. :thumb:
and yes, it's that simple .. ::bigsmile:

If you think about it for a minute, which your message allowed me to do, I think it pure bullshit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The leisure battery, as with the main battery can never be overcharged ( ignoring an unlikely alternator failure ).

If switched by the alternator D wire the main battery can never be flattened.

Have I missed something ?

PS:

More....
The relay controls the charge rate to the second battery to maintain a fully charged state.
===================================
A relay can never ever control charge rate.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is easy to fit, comes with instructions. Link Removed VMax

Also a good one.. :thumb:

it just dawned on me :Doh:

the Brocott bumff says it can never overcharge the second battery ... :RollEyes:
but that's nigh on imposible to do with a vehicle alternator anyway, it only puts out 13.8v

Both however are better than a bog standard relay

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looks like we were both thinking along the same lines Brian ..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

:ROFLMAO: SO HOW IS THIS BETTER THAN A BOG STANDARD RELAY ?(OOOOPS sorry for caps :ROFLMAO:) this may realise that your vehicle battery is on it's way out and divert all the energy to the said battery letting my fridge defrost melting my ice cream,burgers and sausages :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bear in mind 99% of converters will use a bog standard split charge relay and its unusual to hear of any charging problems, in particular over charging.....apart from the odd relay failing ton work at all.

just another marketing ploy for the uninitiated :Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

At least the price is reasonable for the kit.

I think it's real advantage, which they don't stress is you don't have to find and splice into the D wire.

Which could be it's disadvantage. If it's voltage sensing then it kicks in at 12.5v ( guess ) and all is well. You turn off. The relay is still in. The relay stays in 'till it's drop out voltage, so in effect it discharges the main battery a little ( or a lot depending on drop out voltage, age and temperature ) before the relay opens.

However the D wire method does fall over if the crank battery is weak and the user is doing a lot of stop start, so instead of a good boost to the crank battery the alternator is feeding both batteries.

>> and yes, it's that simple .. ::bigsmile:

Who said that ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:ROFLMAO: SO HOW IS THIS BETTER THAN A BOG STANDARD RELAY ?

terry

I knew you would ask ... :roflmto:

They were commonly fitted when I was a tugger, the reason given was because it prioritises the chassis battery charging .. that's all ...

then some tight northen git said it wasn't needed , a bog standard Poundland relay would do :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
TDH

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Thanks for all of that - I think!!

Something to spend our Roadpro vouchers on then (if she'll let me)!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back