Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Will I have one? Where will it be ?
Now I thought that split charge relays were a bit old hat these days, everything being managed by Schaudt EBL's

I have a Sterling Battery Maintainer to fit. Rather than running long-ish cables (technically easy, but bleeding awkward) to one of the batteries this device can be fitted as a bridge across the split charge relay. Simples. I recognise a relay when I see it - but where to look ?

Hymer Exis t474 (2017) EBL & battery accessed via external hatch.

Cheers 'n' Beers

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The EBL contains a whole pile of relays, which perform the basic functions of split charge relay and fridge relay, as well as a whole lot more, controlled by a central chip.

Which model of EBL is it?

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
The EBL contains a whole pile of relays, which perform the basic functions of split charge relay and fridge relay, as well as a whole lot more, controlled by a central chip.

Thought as much, it's an EBL29 and this unit only supplies a charge to the starter battery whilst on hook-up. I normally use Votronic MPPT controllers which keep the starter battery topped up automatically but on this installation fitting a Votronic display is problematic, so I've gone Victron with BT. This is why I need an additional gizmo that I've never had to fit before.
I think I'll be running cables direct to battery terminals.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think I'll be running cables direct to battery terminals.
That's certainly an option. But there are suitable connection points on the EBL.

There is a 2-pin connector, Block 7, that is intended for an extra mains charger input. (Zusatz ladegerat in German). Pin 1 is negative and pin 2 is positive. They are internally connected the leisure battery. You will need to insert a fuse into the slot marked 'Zusatz ladegerat'. A suitable connector is a 2-pin Mate'n'Lok, like this:

Then you need a connection to the starter battery. As hilldweller says, there is a thick wire to the starter battery at the back of the EBL. Alternatively you could tap into the wire already present on pin 1 of the 5-pin connector (Block 2). It won't interfere with the fridge supply, because it won't be sending any current when the fridge is working and the engine is running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I just realised you're not using the EBL Solar input. you could use pin 2 of the 3-pin Solar input (Block 6) which connects to the starter battery. A 3-pin MnL connector from the same place as the previous link. (There's no fuse to be inserted because it's connected to the fused line for the fridge.)

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Job Done.
I thank autorouter for the detailed guidance, but hilldweller gets the cigar.
Once I'd removed the seatbase above the EBL I could see the previously hidden battery cables on the back of the unit. The two positive terminals had room for me to insert my 12awg wires from the Sterling unit, but the third terminal already had the two negative cables connected and wouldn't take a third, so a short 18" cable to the hab battery -ve post is fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back