Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On some of the DFDS ferries you can sit right at the front of the restaurant gazing through the huge full height viewing window and pretend you're driving the ship.

Plus on a recent crossing we took, as soon as the catering manager realised the coffee machine was knackered he went around handing out replacement drinks to those who'd already got coffees and hadn't whinged yet. I have no complaints about them - and there's less of a chance of acquiring unwanted hitch-hikers at Dunkirk than Calais.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You must be unlucky in who you dealt with, this year we changed our ferry ports and crossing dates, DFDS were fantastic, no extra charge and only took about 10 mins on the phone to sort out.
We are well impressed with them and will use them again if only for their excellent customer service.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
What this thread does highlight is the difference in customer response created by short sighted money grabbing versus sensible customer relations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
They are not the cheapest these days and I have tried to get an earlier booking back and they wanted £60. But my biggest grumble with DFDS is that when you try and book for a 7m van with a bike rack you have to pay for 10m that is a huge increase from 7m and since they brought that in I have stopped using them
I spoke to them via chat about making on line booking as their vehicle size only goes to 10mtrs and i needed 12mtrs so they said just book 10mtr +2mtr trailer seemed fair enough to me . When I went from UK got there a bit early as M25 was fairly fluid :eek: and they moved me up to earlier (more expensive sailing) FOC .

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I know they are all guilty of charging for changes and although I'm sure it's all covered in their T&C's it don't make it right.
It not as though they have to go through any paper/ticket/sales invoices. It all on computer and take seconds to amend/change a booking.
It's no real hardship to land in Dunkirk instead of Calais -- it's the any excuse to charge extra attitude that revs me up.
But bottom line is you screwed up your booking, not them, therefore you pay for your mistake, it is only 16 quid after all hardly going to break the bank

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
In the days of Norfolk Line we used to travel down to Dijon and back 5/6 times a year. Hardly ever turned up for the ferry we were booked on, we were always early, never a problem. After DFDS took over on our second trip with them, as usual we turned up early. Presented the docs and apologised for being early, to which she replied that's ok that will be £120 please. If I remember rightly it was a winter special and I had paid £19 each way. I said you must be joking, she said yes it is a lot isn't it I will speak to my manager. She came back, good news I can do it for£69. These were amendment costs to an existing booking. Ok what will it cost me to make a new booking on the next ferry? 49 euro's. Haven't travelled with them since

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Anyway doesn't "spitting feathers" mean you're thirsty? And "spitting blood" means you're angry?
Maybe it depends where in the country you are.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
As we don't have any Tesco vouchers left at the moment we thought we try DFDS ferry for the first time in 20 years. All done last night and £50 cheaper. Then I noticed I'd mistakenly chosen a sailing to Dunkirk - easily done if you look at there sailing choices. I contacted them this morning to make the change to Calais sailing.

Dover] to accept invitation to chat ...
11:51:23 AM Dover: Invitation to chat with Dover has been accepted by Sam B
11:51:24 AM Samantha B: Hello, how can I help?
11:52:31 AM Alexander McLean: Hi I booked a crossing yesterday but failed to notice I had chosen a sailing to Dunkirk. I need to change it to Calais
11:52:59 AM Samantha B: Hello Alexander can i take the booking number from you please and i will check this for you
11:53:31 AM Alexander McLean: 16126815
11:54:21 AM Samantha B: I have a 16.50 or 18.20 on the Dover to Calais crossing ?
11:54:49 AM Alexander McLean: 18.20 Please
11:56:32 AM Samantha B: To change the booking it would be an additional 16.00 pound
11:59:07 AM Alexander McLean: You are joking!!!! So much for customer service - Robbing bleeders spring to mind. Dunkirk is only 25 minutes a way so I'll drive it. Thanks for nothing and be aware your pettiness has lost you another good customer

Not happy. A £64 crossing is OK ------- an extra £16 isn't
I suggest you don't have a look at their prices from Newcastle, you might need oxygen.......

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
On the tunnel it asks if you have a bike rack , but as far as I know doesn't charge if you have.(n)

I think it does charge but not enough to make it worth getting excited about.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maybe they wait until the end of the chat to decide if the customer is rude. Then they giggle and say NO CHARGE if the customer was friendly :)

Many many companies do exactly that. I certainly do.

There’s a sign over the bar in our local that says “service may vary according to my mood and your attitude”

Non-locals think it’s there as a joke.

It isn’t.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
DFDS are cheap as chips, never had a an issue changing a booking , turned up in wrong vehicles and all sorts, never been charged extra, never been made to wait.

I always take Dunkirk over Calais. No brainer for me . Never waited more than 10 mins to check in.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
DFDS are cheap as chips, never had a an issue changing a booking , turned up in wrong vehicles and all sorts, never been charged extra, never been made to wait.

I always take Dunkirk over Calais. No brainer for me . Never waited more than 10 mins to check in.

Been using DFDS for years when we were racing cars in Europe, they are consistently cheaper than P and O and indeed the tunnel. We have turned up early and late and I honestly think the difference between getting asked to pay more and getting on the next ferry is simply being pleasant and smiling at the person in the kiosk.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Been using DFDS for years when we were racing cars in Europe, they are consistently cheaper than P and O and indeed the tunnel. We have turned up early and late and I honestly think the difference between getting asked to pay more and getting on the next ferry is simply being pleasant and smiling at the person in the kiosk.

Agreed. Always book late ferries , and stop in Dunkirk when you get off, not drive down to Dover , rather than park up and wait for the dearer boat. Only time i had any issues was when we bought 6 people back that we hadnt took over , and even that wasnt bad, just made 2 pay foot passenger and put the rest on with the vehicle.

I did get bored of the same boat all the time , but went P&O with someone else , and suddenly it wasnt so bad.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I swim over pulling the motorhome on a raft via a rope in my teefff. Dead cheap and good exercise. :whistle:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Length is irrelevent on the Tunnel, I think the bike rack question is more to do with height.

Malcolm

More than likely yes.

They do charge for a trailer though so length isn't completely irrelevant

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I assume when they ask have you a bike rack, they mean with bikes on it ?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
16 quid a fair price, like has been said you should try a quote from Newcastle, you can enjoy a weeks holiday for the price of the bleeding overnight ferry.

And we just turned up at the port once to come back to the UK, I am still having sleepless nights about the cost.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Use DFDS for Newhaven - Dieppe - basic but cheap, always found changing crossings easy (phone French number)

.........my change......extra charge, no problem

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Plan B: When you get to Dover, see if they can let you transfer to a Calais crossing.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I assume when they ask have you a bike rack, they mean with bikes on it ?
Hopefully they do. My bike rack is fitted but not used and I always - for the two occasions I have been abroad:rolleyes:, said no to a bike rack without issue.;)

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
16 quid a fair price, like has been said you should try a quote from Newcastle, you can enjoy a weeks holiday for the price of the bleeding overnight ferry.

And we just turned up at the port once to come back to the UK, I am still having sleepless nights about the cost.

I don't consider £16 a fair price not when it can be done at the press of button on a keyboard, even if they have to look at a couple of pages. It's no skin off their nose to let you travel any time if there's room on the boat, but no - they love taking advantage of your mistakes / problem.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Try changing a prebooked flight with any airline, and it will cost you a lot more than £16

I understand the frustration, but I tend to regard £16 as small change against the other costs involved in motorhoming

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What about an extra £100 on top of the £84 we had paid for a return ticket on Eurotunnel because my wife needed urgent treatment on a broken crown. The train was half empty but did they care - No robbing bleeders

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I made a hasty booking a couple of years ago and, whilst returning to adjust the time of the outward sailing, did not notice that the date had reverted to the earliest one available. Got there at the appointed time but “a week late” and was charged an additional £90 for an immediate ticket. If I’d had the presence of mind, I might have gone online and booked another ticket for a later trip and saved some of that. Of course, a flexible ticket might overcome such problems, if you keep repeating such errors, but they would cost you more than £16 each way.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I never book a return since I never quite know which will be the most suitable return route, but find that if I leave it till 2 or 3 days before I start back it does not cost any more than if I had booked the return at the outset. But if you turn up and want to travel that day they really sting you. The only thing against that is that some breakdown or travel insurance companies will not repatriate you if you do not book a return at the outset. I have no experience of that but it was pointed out to me by an insurance broker. I am not stuck on the Dover/Folkestone route since I live in the south west and normally use the western route to SW France, which gives me a choice of ports and (limited) choice of ferry companies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back