Spitting feathers ----- DFDS (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As we don't have any Tesco vouchers left at the moment we thought we try DFDS ferry for the first time in 20 years. All done last night and £50 cheaper. Then I noticed I'd mistakenly chosen a sailing to Dunkirk - easily done if you look at there sailing choices. I contacted them this morning to make the change to Calais sailing.

Dover] to accept invitation to chat ...
11:51:23 AM Dover: Invitation to chat with Dover has been accepted by Sam B
11:51:24 AM Samantha B: Hello, how can I help?
11:52:31 AM Alexander McLean: Hi I booked a crossing yesterday but failed to notice I had chosen a sailing to Dunkirk. I need to change it to Calais
11:52:59 AM Samantha B: Hello Alexander can i take the booking number from you please and i will check this for you
11:53:31 AM Alexander McLean: 16126815
11:54:21 AM Samantha B: I have a 16.50 or 18.20 on the Dover to Calais crossing ?
11:54:49 AM Alexander McLean: 18.20 Please
11:56:32 AM Samantha B: To change the booking it would be an additional 16.00 pound
11:59:07 AM Alexander McLean: You are joking!!!! So much for customer service - Robbing bleeders spring to mind. Dunkirk is only 25 minutes a way so I'll drive it. Thanks for nothing and be aware your pettiness has lost you another good customer

Not happy. A £64 crossing is OK ------- an extra £16 isn't

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Brittany Ferries charge for changes to bookings made by telephone as well, but they are free if you make them online.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That IS FROM customer service. -- Changing bookings ON LINE
So you were speaking to someone or using a chat facility? With BF you go onto their website and alter the booking directly. You can even change routes, which I've done, for free. But as they don't do any of the short crossings this may not be a lot of help. :)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Seriouslyo_O

IMG_1356.JPG

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Contrary to my usual stance on spending money , I don't think that is too bad considering they had to set it all up and then start again, I know at this time of year it wouldn't be but what if your booking filled the ferry and they had turned someone else away and lost another booking , it all has to be looked at.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Additional charges are clearly stated in their T's & C's :

You have the opportunity to change certain types of bookings via our website, or by telephoning us direct.

The rules for changes made by you may vary depending on the travel category as categorised in the booking terms and in any event subject to availability

Should changes to the booking reduce the value of the booking then the original cost is still valid.

Changes in the route, date, time, passenger numbers or vehicle type for non promotional fares will result in any increase in price from the original fare and the fare applicable on the day you make the amendment being charged plus an amendment fee.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Ummm - but wasn't it due to your mistake? Them having to put right your error?

Maybe I'm out of line here, but to be honest I'd have thought 16 quid for them to have to take the time to chat to you, find your original booking, then cancel that booking , then complete another one instead due you your error not theirs would be fair enough, especially as you accepted the term to that effect in the contract you entered into when you made the booking.

You said you were saving 50 quid by using them. If it's cost you 16 quid for them to correct your mistake then it would still have saved 34 quid.

I suspect that quite a lot of companies might actually simply ban for life anyone who calls their staff directly "robbing bleeders" in writing for simply doing what is in the contract that you freely agreed to with them; and then shares that insult all over the internet too?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You should have waited till you got to port we used them in April and when we got there they offered us an earlier ferry to Calais instead with no extra cost.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
They are not the cheapest these days and I have tried to get an earlier booking back and they wanted £60. But my biggest grumble with DFDS is that when you try and book for a 7m van with a bike rack you have to pay for 10m that is a huge increase from 7m and since they brought that in I have stopped using them

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I booked to come home from Dunkirk DFDS and turned up at Calais by mistake :confused: :ROFLMAO:.
He changed us to Calais and got us on an earlier ferry, no charge (y)
That doesn't sound like the DFDS that I've grown to love (NOT!). I fell out with them when I arrived back at Dunkirk a day early during an off season, the boat was nearly empty. They charged me nearly 3 times the amount I had already paid for the return crossing the next day. They wanted me to watch a nearly empty ferry sail off into the sunset. I had to get back, so I had to pay. I've only used them once since, it's cost them more than they overcharged me.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
DFDS ferry terminal to the Calais port junction on the Autoroute is 18 miles, say 3 litres of diesel, so maybe £3.75 extra.

Surely cheaper to just accept the mistake was yours, drive the 18 miles and save a massive £12.25?

But my biggest grumble with DFDS is that when you try and book for a 7m van with a bike rack you have to pay for 10m that is a huge increase from 7m and since they brought that in I have stopped using them

Just tell them you're 6.5 metres when you book - nobody's stood on the car deck with a tape measure.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We made the same error for our December crossing. Thought we had booked Dover-Calais but on checking crossing times this week found we had booked Dover-Dunkirk. There must be something odd about their website.

Fortunately for us we had already decided to switch our trip from North West France to Belgium so it suited us to leave it as it is.(y):)

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We made the same error for our December crossing. Thought we had booked Dover-Calais but on checking crossing times this week found we had booked Dover-Dunkirk. There must be something odd about their website.

I know they are all guilty of charging for changes and although I'm sure it's all covered in their T&C's it don't make it right.
It not as though they have to go through any paper/ticket/sales invoices. It all on computer and take seconds to amend/change a booking.
It's no real hardship to land in Dunkirk instead of Calais -- it's the any excuse to charge extra attitude that revs me up.

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
They are not the cheapest these days and I have tried to get an earlier booking back and they wanted £60. But my biggest grumble with DFDS is that when you try and book for a 7m van with a bike rack you have to pay for 10m that is a huge increase from 7m and since they brought that in I have stopped using them
Our van is 7mtr.+bike rack, we just book 7mtr. Don't tell about bike rack and they haven't said owt yet. Bet we get caught next time

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On the tunnel it asks if you have a bike rack , but as far as I know doesn't charge if you have.(n)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well somebody will have to stand up for DFDS;) we booked the Newcastle to Ijmuden return last year through the Caravan Club or C&MC as it is now, we had to cut the trip short and come back early for family reasons but also wanted to change the return leg to Dunkirk to Dover, phoned the C&MC and they contacted DFDS who changed the crossing and refunded the difference and the C&MC didn't charge either.

Martin

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Fortunately for us we had already decided to switch our trip from North West France to Belgium so it suited us to leave it as it is.(y):)

I did similar only other way Calais instead of Dunkirk. Well they are on the same page - useful for price comparison, but difficult if one clicks on wrong line, as they are interdispersed. Only found out when we were entering Calais. No sweat - good laugh, and Basia is still dining out on it.

Geoff

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I know they are all guilty of charging for changes and although I'm sure it's all covered in their T&C's it don't make it right.
It not as though they have to go through any paper/ticket/sales invoices. It all on computer and take seconds to amend/change a booking.
It's no real hardship to land in Dunkirk instead of Calais -- it's the any excuse to charge extra attitude that revs me up.
Maybe they should do free ferries as well ? :)

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I can't fault the DFDS customer service this time.

I was fortunate last week-end when we arrived at Dover for the 18:00 crossing to Dunkirk, only realising that we had booked the 16:00. When I apologised profusely, the man in the kiosk said "That isn't a problem sir. We can put you on the service before your booking or the one following. We can even change the destination port". That was very good news for us as the fuel warning light had come on approaching Dover so we accepted the 18:20 service to Calais and docked 10 minutes before the 18:00 to Dunkirk, plus saved the drive along the coast.

J

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I would have gone to Dunkerque also it is just as easy as Calais maybe a bit slower.; Depends on where you want to go really.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back