Spinflo Caprice 2020 glass lid emergency (1 Viewer)

pilchard

Free Member
Apr 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers Symbol
Does anyone have a van dating from around the same age as mine... 2001... with a Spinflo Caprice 2020 oven/grill/hob
I desperately need the sizes of the glass lid of the cooker... if it is the same model..
An easy identifier is that the original smoked glass lid has a "cut-out" in the middle of front edge that looks like a hand-grip.
I need accurate measurements to within 1 millimetre. That's Width, Depth, and Thickness of the glass. I believe the glass is 4mm thick, but I could be wrong.

I broke my glass lid and cannot for the life of me find a suitable replacement, so I will have to get one made. At over £50 plus carriage, I really need to get the dimensions spot-on.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I have a glass cover in my shed from an old caravan I had but no idea if it would be any good to you.
FREE IF ANY GOOD
I’m in Telford but will be moving about now that we are allowed

OP
OP
P

pilchard

Free Member
Apr 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers Symbol
I have a glass cover in my shed from an old caravan I had but no idea if it would be any good to you.
FREE IF ANY GOOD
I’m in Telford but will be moving about now that we are allowed
That's a very kind offer. But I would need to confirm it's the right one. I dont suppose you know the make and model of that oven, do you?

My original had like a hand-grip kind of cut-out in the middle of the front edge. Not a circular arc, but the cut-out angled in at about 45 degrees, then ran parallel with the front edge for 3 or 4 inches then returned back at 45 degrees to the front edge. Basically, an approx 4 inch long by an inch or more deep notch cut out of the front edge.
If yours looks anything like that, then a photo and some dimensions to the nearest millimetre (width, depth and thickness) would be great.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Does anyone have a van dating from around the same age as mine... 2001... with a Spinflo Caprice 2020 oven/grill/hob
I desperately need the sizes of the glass lid of the cooker... if it is the same model..
An easy identifier is that the original smoked glass lid has a "cut-out" in the middle of front edge that looks like a hand-grip.
I need accurate measurements to within 1 millimetre. That's Width, Depth, and Thickness of the glass. I believe the glass is 4mm thick, but I could be wrong.

I broke my glass lid and cannot for the life of me find a suitable replacement, so I will have to get one made. At over £50 plus carriage, I really need to get the dimensions spot-on.
You need to get any hinge holes in the right position, too. Once glass is heat treated, it makes it impossible to drill holes afterwards.

OP
OP
P

pilchard

Free Member
Apr 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers Symbol
You need to get any hinge holes in the right position, too. Once glass is heat treated, it makes it impossible to drill holes afterwards.
Your sincere and ernest warning prompts me to imagine it might be borne out of bitter experience. I won't ask.
I bust my glass top because I forgot a gas burner was still lit, and virtually invisible. I put a temporary ply one on, and did the same again.
Drilling standard glass is difficult enough, even with a glass drill, but drilling toughened glass.... no.

Anyway... this glass lid is designed to glue-bond to the hinges with two-pack resin glue. So no drilling needed.

OP
OP
P

pilchard

Free Member
Apr 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers Symbol
How is that an Emergency??

Geoff
One man's emergency is another man's minor irritation.
I disingenuously threw in the word in the vain hope it might attract a higher number of readers, one of which might be able to help. It's not working... yet. But I'm a glass half full kind of guy.
Actually, having posted similar queries on a variety of motorhome forums and had quite a number of responses... none of which have provided what I asked for... I may soon have a real emergency of a different kind.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's cheap if you find a genuine one it will probably be around £150

OP
OP
P

pilchard

Free Member
Apr 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers Symbol
Have you tried O'learys breakers.... Most things for most vans.
Yes, they only have a clear glass one, which is obviously not a Spinflo or Thetford original part, so I may as well get a black one custom-made myself... IF I CAN GET HOLD OF THE DIMENSIONS!

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Have you thought of looking for your model of mh available for sale and if there is a local one going for a look/ measure? Or maybe search mh of similar age to find one with the same cooker?

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
That's a very kind offer. But I would need to confirm it's the right one. I dont suppose you know the make and model of that oven, do you?

My original had like a hand-grip kind of cut-out in the middle of the front edge. Not a circular arc, but the cut-out angled in at about 45 degrees, then ran parallel with the front edge for 3 or 4 inches then returned back at 45 degrees to the front edge. Basically, an approx 4 inch long by an inch or more deep notch cut out of the front edge.
If yours looks anything like that, then a photo and some dimensions to the nearest millimetre (width, depth and thickness) would be great.

I’m quite sure mine is not the same but I was thinking along the lines that it could be fashioned to fit.
I’m on a campsite in Lincs until Monday.
I’ll pull it out on Monday if I remember

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Spinflo part number GL6060
I found the part number and a picture as well but they’re no longer made! At least we’re trying to be helpful though. I got quite excited until I realised there were no dimensions.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I know you wish to have all the dimensions and get something made that is identical. But glass for old, wonky, individual windows is made using ply templates, and I think that is far better especially if it has things like cutouts, and radius’s

Apr 3, 2020
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
We have that model oven in our Compass Avantgarde. I have just measured the lid and the dimensions are:
Width: 484mm
Depth: 420mm
Thickness: 5mm
Hope this helps

Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries