PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
So Doris wakes up at 0440hrs and talks about her dream of spiders on the bed :oops2:

Then she talks about the stats of the amount of spiders we're supposed to have swallow in our sleep, so I google the question and the answer is zero. It was one of those silly stats that came out at the beginning of the WWW as an example of how many people would believe the rubbish written, simply because it's on the net ::bigsmile:

Then blow me we attempt to settle down and go back to sleep, only to find a blooming big spider running up the quilt towards her :crying1:

I can't explain the humour and entertainment factor involved in watching her exit the bed at Mach 10 and doing the "eeeek a spider" dance across the bedroom floor - priceless :giggler:

Anyone for tea ::bigsmile:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
::bigsmile: Well I can only sympathise with her - but hope you earned your gold star for the day by catching it

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Hate fly's, love spiders, where I was raised you had to be aware of black widow spiders but as far as the UK goes I think they are cute and harmless

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not quite harmless............ there are a few that can give you a nasty nip... :notworthy:

Dont know how they got to the UK.... on a shipment from abroad I expect...

Spiders
false-black-widow-spider_377x171_CN2M6G.jpg

You may be surprised to know that a number of spiders in the UK are capable of giving a nasty nip – usually after rough handling or if they become trapped in your clothes. You can tell it’s a spider bite because it leaves little puncture marks. According to the Natural History Museum, false widow spiders, so-called because of their similarity to the more poisonous black widow spider, are the main culprits and typically give bites that cause pain, redness and swelling.

Prevent spider bites: Don’t disturb spiders if you can help it – they tend to bite you only when they feel threatened.

Manage your symptoms at home and make sure your bite or sting doesn’t get infected by using this bites and stings symptom checker.

Read more about insect bites and stings.

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
My ex wife was putting on a pair of trousers one evening, felt a nip and a spider fell out of a leg, about the size of a 10p piece, a nice wee lump she had!

Im not a great lover of the things and one night on getting into bed had my hand stretched out and felt what I thought was one of the grandkids hair tie bungee things, so i rolled it up and tried to pick it up....that caused quite a reaction when I saw the bloody great spider I had in my hand, it was huge (not by aussie standards of course) but was to me!

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
::bigsmile: Well I can only sympathise with her - but hope you earned your gold star for the day by catching it
Defiantly earned my gold star and wings, I was the hero of the day. Got me a tea made too while Doris calmed down :giggler:

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hate fly's, love spiders, where I was raised you had to be aware of black widow spiders but as far as the UK goes I think they are cute and harmless
I'm not bothered by spiders in the slightest, however I do try and keep them out of the motorhome, especially those little money spiders that float in on their web :oops2:

Don't want ANY spiders legs or webs found in their thank you!!:hi:

Also detest flies :madder:

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
l was at the dr seeing the nurse lying on the bed waiting for a smear ...suddenly the nurse screamed ran out the door screaming spider leaving the door wide open.
I got up went half naked to the door closed it against all the people looking up from the waiting room (just as well naked and spiders are not a problem for me)
Threw spider out the window went back yelled spider gone...
Back came the nurse...just set up and bloody spider climbs back through the window repeat of part one...screaming nurse, half naked patient, lots of people looking.
This time l slung with difficulty (it didn't want to go) spidey out the room and shut the window.
Spider gone...
you sure
yes l shut the window on it
I swear the nurse slid like a ninja into that room with eyes on gimbals looking for evidence l was lying.
Smear went fine after that :rofl:

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Not quite harmless............ there are a few that can give you a nasty nip... :notworthy:

Dont know how they got to the UK.... on a shipment from abroad I expect...

Spiders

false-black-widow-spider_377x171_CN2M6G.jpg

You may be surprised to know that a number of spiders in the UK are capable of giving a nasty nip – usually after rough handling or if they become trapped in your clothes. You can tell it’s a spider bite because it leaves little puncture marks. According to the Natural History Museum, false widow spiders, so-called because of their similarity to the more poisonous black widow spider, are the main culprits and typically give bites that cause pain, redness and swelling.

Prevent spider bites: Don’t disturb spiders if you can help it – they tend to bite you only when they feel threatened.

Manage your symptoms at home and make sure your bite or sting doesn’t get infected by using this bites and stings symptom checker.

Read more about insect bites and stings.

I was with a friend of mine who loves spiders and would often pick them up by hand and put them out the door :whatthe:

One day we had one of those great big black hairy ones appear, you know the kind that live in coal bunkers or behind the fireplace and freak out most ladies :nerd:

I told her that all spiders bite, no matter how big they are, it's how nature made them and how they stunned their pray :oops2:

She never listen and picked up this huge (to UK standars) hairy thing and yep, it bit her :crying1:

Her fingers swelled up nicely and spookily enough, she uses a glass like the rest of us now :winky:

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
l am always wary around them as a kid if one ran over me l would swell up on the area it touched so always used a glass and paper to move them. One day doing our VN training we went to a wildlife park and had a chance to hole the big hairy Chilean Rose trantula...l decided either l would have the mother of all reactions and end up in hospital or all would be fine..l was fine must have grown out of the problem so now happy to handle if l must but try to get them onto things to move them. At the end of the day they are delicate and l don't want to harm them by accident.

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My ex wife was putting on a pair of trousers one evening, felt a nip and a spider fell out of a leg, about the size of a 10p piece, a nice wee lump she had!

Im not a great lover of the things and one night on getting into bed had my hand stretched out and felt what I thought was one of the grandkids hair tie bungee things, so i rolled it up and tried to pick it up....that caused quite a reaction when I saw the bloody great spider I had in my hand, it was huge (not by aussie standards of course) but was to me!

This happened to me too! My poor tush.... When I checked what it was I thought I'd pulled out a bit of tangled up cotton :eek:
then noticed it was a spider, went on the internet to identify and confirmed it was a false widow. NHS direct told us to draw a circle around the swelling to track if it got any bigger, my lovely husband added legs & eyes to said circle, thank god it didn't grow any bigger as I wouldn't have wanted to explain the doodle to A&E. :whistle:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Horse chestnuts and/ or sweet chestnuts --place few on window sills, above doors, wherever you think. Do reduce nos of spiders but you have to replace the chestnuts each year.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
When I was a teenager I was camping with friends near Antwerp (of all places). I woke up one morning with a fat lip. As the morning progressed my lip got fatter and quite painful. I went to a local apothecary. He told me that I had been bitten by a spider on the lip while I slept. He said that it was quite common for campers, on the site that we were on, to sustain these bites. He prescribed a cream.

Anyway it cleared up quickly, with no lasting bad effects. In fact my subsequent ability to scale the outside of buildings, without the use of ladders, helped me in my career as a fire fighter.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
When I was a teenager I was camping with friends near Antwerp (of all places). I woke up one morning with a fat lip. As the morning progressed my lip got fatter and quite painful. I went to a local apothecary. He told me that I had been bitten by a spider on the lip while I slept. He said that it was quite common for campers, on the site that we were on, to sustain these bites. He prescribed a cream.

Anyway it cleared up quickly, with no lasting bad effects. In fact my subsequent ability to scale the outside of buildings, without the use of ladders, helped me in my career as a fire fighter.
You're not the only own to have been caught out!!! :doh:

1063239_surgery1_jpg907768a4a275197c2ddd67694362ea7b

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Had a Huntsman in my van once. Was delayed half an hour chasing it around the interior until it finally disappeared. About 6 inches across so not something you can ignore easily. My wife helped me - I was so busy that she kindly undertook to do all the screaming.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
OMG. I am sure I am not the only one sitting reading this thread with my eyes and mouth open in fear.... yuk... Didn't realise we had so many big spiders in this country. I bought one of those spider catchers that open up like a little brush then you close it and it grips the spider and you can release the brush when you get outside. It really does work if any of you want to buy your wives a lovely wedding anniversary present......:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back