LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I've had them on my wing mirrors, ok up to 50mph , any faster they disappear backwards very quickly. Amazing strength holding on at speed though.
Cheers, Dave

Had them on the Blackbird several times over the years..
One notable time was a track day at Snetterton .. That would be me flat chat on the back straight at over 160 mph..
Tenacious little buggers were still on the bike after I pitted

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In our house it's the other way round. I'm the one standing in the opposite corner of the room keeping an eye on it in case it moves before SWMBO comes in with the glass and card to deal with it.

My son is terrified of them. This is the guy who goes to work in A&E wearing white wellies because of the blood. They don't worry me.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mine travels the country with me on the bike rack ... but once Spring comes around he is definitely have to go for a walk .. no way can I put my bike on there whilst he is sitting watching....and waiting to pounce. :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We like em, wife has a pet one in the conservatory, help to keep the fly's down which we get inundated with from the livestock in the field next door.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Talking about taking them on travels with you.........A colleague of mine in a previous life went to Africa on holiday, and upon her return after a few days noticed a black mark in her ear lobe which gradually got bigger.
You know what's coming.........
A mummy spider had numbed her ear lobe and placed her puppies inside to grow. Which is exactly what they did.
Said colleague now has a piece of ear missing after a visit to hospital.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
You might want to travel in the back of the van now because if you put your legs under the dashboard they will see lunch, a nice leg will do fine thanks so quietly drop down and gently start eating you, first you will think it is a blast of cold air from the fan, then you start to itch and think the dog may have caught flees, it won't go away but now its to late, full of your rich blood he returns to mate with his partner to create thousands of blood thirsty creatures thinking 'you can get some but you will never get us all'. I like spiders but could never eat a whole one (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Best method is to rid the effected area of the spiders food source it will then move on itself.
So get rid of small children, cats, dogs, Woosey Men and single Female Funsters:eek:;)

Repel outdoor spiders with eucalyptus sprigs. Strong smelling species sprinkled around the perimeter will chase them away. Make a spider repellent. Regular table salt, water and spray bottle are all those things you need to make this natural repellent.
Dissolve the salt in water and spray the bushes, flowers and any needed part outside the house with this salt solution. The process should be repeated weekly to prevent spiders from coming back.
You can also use lavender, citronella, cinnamon, citrus, peppermint or tea tree oil. Only one drop of any of these useful herbs mixed with water will be effective for killing spiders.
G

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Talking about taking them on travels with you.........A colleague of mine in a previous life went to Africa on holiday, and upon her return after a few days noticed a black mark in her ear lobe which gradually got bigger.
A mummy spider had numbed her ear lobe and placed her puppies inside to grow. Which is exactly what they did.

OMG .... CAN'T TAKE ANY MORE.... anybody else looking all round the room and at the ceiling when they read this thread. Oh feel sick... :( OMG keep thinking how she felt when they emerged. Feel faint. :(

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Geo,
None of that will work on them there Lancs / Merseyside Harries.
Hard, them is!
Big, too.
I saw one with a saddle on it when I was a kid.

(Yes, I was a drinker even then!) ;)

I remember Arry the spider's coming out day too, John! I don't really mind them too much as long as they aren't on ME !

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I won't be able to sit in the passenger seat of our MH now big bus man. Why did you have to say that? Scary

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Firstly, I have to acknowledge that lot's of people are arachnophobic, I can relate to that, my wife is. However much as you might find the spiders distasteful, they aren't really going to harm you.
I would suggest that the best way to deter most spiders is to keep the inside of the van warm and dry, especially at this time of the year. Due to the mild weather, there has been an explosion in spider populations this year. That said, there is only really one species of spider that really likes a warm dry environment (like in a house), and that is the common house spider, and they can get quite big!
A lot of spiders will leave their egg sacks in quiet warm locations, however, the babies (are they called spiderlets?) first instinct will be to get out, so if you don't like them, let them go!
Personally, I never do anything about spiders, if I see one, I let it be, I much prefer them to the bloody flies, especially the bitey flies! However every now and then I am asked to remove a spider, so it will get moved outside (I never tell my wife it will just come back in again :D )
Around our way we have lots of meadow spiders, the only thing I hate about them is that they cast their webs across my front door, so I get a face full of web every morning! :D

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp

The shame about this is that it happened prior to ebay existing, I wonder what she did with all of the ear rings ??

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well you lot have got me so paranoid that I am going to bed with scarf round my mouth and elastic bands round my pajama wrists and ankles ........................I look like Zorro in pj's. But today I have solved my problem... I found some brilliant pajamas that no-one and no spider can penetrate...
images

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wonder why they don't make webs in our MH engine bays? Warm and safe but access to outside?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back