Spent 3 days rewiring our motorhome dash board to fit a new DAB radio, was a total mess. (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I use 2 thin wallpaper spatulas, one pushed down either side to push the locking tabs back into the cage mount. Once located each side the radio should just pull out.
As in indication of how many times I have had my double din unit in & out, and intend to again when I get the urge to have another go at trying different ariel set ups, mine is never pushed all the way back in to lock it, one pull and its out.
The van is fully Growler alarmed & insured, if any potential thief can get a better DAB signal good luck to em!:banghead:
LES

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Thanks Les.

I'm quite familiar with the difficulties of aftermarket DAB aerials, they're a bloody nightmare mate.
It always strikes me as crazy that a lot of motorhomes have a Status type aerial on the roof which claims to be able to pick up DAB & as yet I can find no way of using it, perhaps we're missing a trick?

I shall start experimenting with aerials now, I had a DAB adapter in the moho before & I mounted the aerial on the inside of a skylight above the cab, that seems to work, but certainly not as well as it needs to be.

Onwards & upwards...

Give our love to Tina, take care mate...Robert.

NB, getting a decent earth seems to be part of getting the reception right.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I went along this route about a year ago and after trying hard to improve the VHF reception I eventually bit the bullet and went DAB eventually using an ampified DAB/VHF aerial mounted on the roof. Quite a bit of work but reception has been excellent ever since. All the alternatives, windscreen with or without amplifier, were very inferior in performance
Mike
PS The aerial came from Dab on wheels , not cheap but a nice job

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've come across this type of bodge work so very often, it's frightening. I'm not an electrician of any sort, but it costs pennies to get the correct kit & the old Ducato is ridiculously simple to fit auxiliary equipment to.
It isn't helped by the shoddy work done by many converters and the fact that very few, if any, supply wiring information for the conversion.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This thread has now confirmed to me that I should not play with my van electrics, I would probably launch myself into orbit with electric shock
If you can get an electric shock off 12v you're a better man than most. Start a fire, melt wires, blow fuses, maybe. But no shock 🔥😳.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I went along this route about a year ago and after trying hard to improve the VHF reception I eventually bit the bullet and went DAB eventually using an ampified DAB/VHF aerial mounted on the roof. Quite a bit of work but reception has been excellent ever since. All the alternatives, windscreen with or without amplifier, were very inferior in performance
Mike
PS The aerial came from Dab on wheels , not cheap but a nice job
I finally installed a new Status 570 aerial with a boosted DAB diplexer, reception is now flawless in most area's, then the cheap Chinese DAB radio gave up the ghost, so now to start looking for a nice DAB radio, preferably with a USB slot, anyone got one they don't want?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back