Speedo Problem being fixed. (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had the M/H in the Garage yesterday to get the speedo repaired, @Jaws was near the mark, it has a cable rather than a sender, The Cable was AOK but when the Speedo drive came out the oil was emulsified, looked as though the G/Box was full of Bailys Irish Cream, so water is getting in there somewhere.:swear2:

Also the NEW HORN was inop, and I had the fella check the passenger side Wheel Bearing (Both wheel Bearings were renewed in Feb this year) I don't know why I asked him to do it, just a hunch I suppose that something wasn't/ didn't sound right, glad I did now, it was failing.:doh:

Bearing under warrenty, and I'm arguing about the Horn. So many thanks to you fellas that answered my thread about the Speedo. :cheers:

Reactions: GJH

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Water ingress into the gearbox was a problem with with Ducato and Boxer based vans some years ago. The problem was the drain tube from the windscreen scuttle. It was draining directly onto the top of the gearbox and water entered through the linkage. There was a recall fix to fit a longer tube. Perhaps yours is the same if it is of that age and was never modified.

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Popped into the Garage to check up how things were going, to receive the following news.

Oil emulsifying through water leaking in to the G/Box does in the more advanced cases strip/affect the Syncro on the 3rd gear, it also buggers up the Speedo drive, the bit actually IN the G/Box. The Cost of the bit to make it all work again is just under £25, BUT to fit the damn thing it means the removal of the G/Box. Total cost £370 (firm) requiring a new box £700-900(?????)
It seems we have caught it before the syncro is u/s

Just a friendly tip for those with the Series 2 Ducatto Cab (mine is on an 02 reg) It might be worth while getting your G/Box oil checked for emulsified oil. (if you havn't had the modification done, see @lunarman post above)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bloody shame you aint closer mate..
My man charged a lot less than a £100 to remove gearbox, strip gearbox, repair ( it was cracked ) and rebuild
He is Russian and does all the families repairs and fixes on all the cars and vans

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back