Speedo Drive - Indicators - MODEL TYPE ???? (1 Viewer)

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Hi Funsters !!

Please help a newbie with no clue ! Im trying my best to get up to speed but its gonna take me some time :Sad:

The speedo drive literally fell off my HYMER as I was returning from buying it. I only found out the source of the oil being thrown all over the engine on saturday - its coming from the gear box as a direct result of the Speedo Drive dislodging.

How do I go about sourcing a replacement please? I suppose ideally a 2nd hand one would be the most affordable option ? Is there a link to the best sites for sourcing parts for the old girls ?

Which brings me to another question. Having read lots n lots and lots more - I am now not entirelly sure that the model type I was told the HYMER was is accurate.

Is there a way of identifying which model it is based upon the VIN number please?

And finally ( :Doh: ) - with no apparent warning the indicators (and hazards ) have ceased to work. I have replaced the fuses but still no joy. Really dont know where to go with this - other than get a auto electrician to look at it..but that will be expensive and I would like to rule out anything that with some guidance I could possibly do myself !

Many thanks - I relaly hope you can help !

Jof

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
speedo drive gear.
i would think sourcing a used speedo drive would near impossible....used gearboxs are usually sold complete.

indicators.
if all fuses are intact i'd look at the flasher unit itself or possibly the wiring to the indicator stalk may have come off/broken.

model type.
no idea, sorry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
ok fair point re: speedo papjohn. thanks. So any advice on who can do a replacement ? WOuld a local Commercial Merc dealer be my only choice ?

I wonder if a wiring diagram for the usual eletric funtions (ie not the motorhome functions - which I have) is available ?

I have also updated a pic in case someone can id the model (if this is popssible of course from merely looking at it !)

Upvote 0

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
not sure if this helps but I got a lot of information from www.hymer.com customer service when I 1st acquired my Hymer Also got advices from the hymer owner's club when I had problems with the van at the beginniing www.hymerclub-international.co.uk No harm trying

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Thanks Jim - I have looked at that a few times - pic 10 from the front looks similar - as does 16 but without tyhe twin rear axel. Mine is 1984.

Thanks for the Hymer links as well - I will give it a go :thumb:

Upvote 0

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi,
On my hymer 1989 the model number is on a plate just inside the door (only got 1) on the side of the wall.

Cheers Min:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Ooo I will take a look now !:thumb:

Can some one give me the full name of the 2.9l Diesel Merc engine ? Is it the same engine that was used throughout the 1980's and early 1990's ?

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

Can some one give me the full name of the 2.9l Diesel Merc engine ? Is it the same engine that was used throughout the 1980's and early 1990's ?

I think it's a 410d but there were many others 309, 308 etc not sure what the numbers designated.

There are loads of these about as the chassis was used for delivery vans, breakdown trucks, allsorts so I would have thought check out the breakers yards.

Edit: The numbers relate to the chassis and the engine is I believe a type 602. (602.940 to be precise.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

From the Peter Russek manual for the Mercedes-Benz ISBN 1-898780-45-5 available from the publishers telephone 01 494 440829

Model MB410D Model number 611.4 Fitted Engine 602.940
Model MB310D Model number 602.4 Fitted Engine 602.940
Model MB408D Model number 611.3 Fitted Engine 602.940

The Chassis number starts with the model number ie. 6114nnnannnnnn
(n =number a = letter)

The 408, 210, 310, and 410 share the same engine.

The gearbox will be a G1/18-5/6.15 four speed or G1/19-5/4.7 five speed

This book also contains wiring diagrams and fault finding guide.

I have found my local Mercedes Commercial Dealer can get any part I need and they have not been expensive.

John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Guys - this really is invaluable information. Thank you so much for all of your effort and help. I really appreciate it and am not stressed now.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
According to WIKIPEDIA, the 2.9l version wasnt introduced until 1988 ?

Am I reading this correctly ?

In which case either the manufacture of my vehicle is not 1984 as is on the V5 document, or I was mis-guided when buying the vehicle, and it is a 2.5 litre.

I hope HYMER get back to me with the accurate details based on the VIN I provided now.:Sad:

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
According to WIKIPEDIA, the 2.9l version wasnt introduced until 1988 ?

Am I reading this correctly ?

In which case either the manufacture of my vehicle is not 1984 as is on the V5 document, or I was mis-guided when buying the vehicle, and it is a 2.5 litre.

I hope HYMER get back to me with the accurate details based on the VIN I provided now.:Sad:

It was made between 1980 and 2002 according to the wiki so as yours is the 2.9L you probably have the 602 as the predecessor the 617 was a 3L engine (2998 cc) used till about 1985.

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry I have it totally wrong the 665 had a 2998cc diesel engine. This is definitely the 617 engine looking again at the brochure. So unless the engine has been replaced or they changed to the 602 without updating the brochures then check your V5. It could be a mistake on the V5 if it doesn't show 2998cc. Try and check the engine number against the wikis for 602 and 617.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM617_engine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Therein lies part of the problem. Im trying to locate the speedo drive - through Euro Commercials - but they need the VIN. The VIN I have written down from the engine bay is not bringing back the details. And I havent received the V5 yet as I only had the vehicle a couple of weeks ago - still waiting.

Oh well - looks like I will have to wait for the V5 to get to the bottom of all this.

With imports - who [or what process] notifies the DVLA of the vehicle details - do you know ? Is it possible that inaccurate information can be passed to the DVLA during this process ?

Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Also - there are some websites that will check the VIN for a small fee. But they require a 17 digit VIN - the one i have which matches the format provided by John and Joan - is 14 characters long.

It is not being recognised by any search site. I am replacing 0 (number) with O (letter) according to the format but still no joy.

Confused.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
well - I just bought an online check - and because my VIN wasnt matching, I rang up the company and by a process of elimination I was able to obtain the VIN that is registered against the vehicle.

The VIN on my vehicle has quite a few 5's and 3's in it and that was where I had one wrong.

There are no letters in the VIN though ? AND its only 13 characters long ?

These things keep me awake at night !!

Now to try and get the bleeding part !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Eeek:

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
As the vehicle was sold to you as a 700 with a 2.9L engine and it turns out to be the 665 it's likely the V5 will be correct as it doesn't sound like the seller new what he was selling. So you will have to wait for the V5.

If you still can't be certain it looks like the 602 and the 617 use different glow plugs. If you can get a number off one of the glow plugs (won't be easy to see or maybe impossible, I know) and google it you may come up with a definitive answer. What is a bit odd is that the 2.5L 602A engine glow plug seems to be compatable with the 617 but not the 2.9L 602.

Maybe a photo over the engine from inside the cab might help to identify it by comparing with a later model with the 602. There may be some suttle differences that are visible.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi this is only a suggestion- if the speedo hole is leaking oil preventing you use, stick a cork into it and use a sat nav for your speed - good luck identifying your engine :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Therein lies part of the problem. Im trying to locate the speedo drive - through Euro Commercials - but they need the VIN. The VIN I have written down from the engine bay is not bringing back the details. And I havent received the V5 yet as I only had the vehicle a couple of weeks ago - still waiting.

Oh well - looks like I will have to wait for the V5 to get to the bottom of all this.

With imports - who [or what process] notifies the DVLA of the vehicle details - do you know ? Is it possible that inaccurate information can be passed to the DVLA during this process ?

Thanks
they will need the chassis number not the vin. You may be able to find a chassis number someplace else. The mere often has a plate in the passenger side footwell, but suspect you may not have a passenger door, damn, so start hunting. engine number will help as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Result !

Been on the phone to Euro Commercials - local company - and the VIN I obtained from the online check was incorrect !!!! should be 14 digits as stated - so again through a process of invesitigation we found the missing digit (ie the one the other online chap told me to remove!)

So I now have correct VIn and engine number. Its 409D for me.

Ordered all the parts (5 in total including seals) and it has to come in from Germany within 2 days at a proce of £28 including VAT.

Chuffed as chips !

Now for the indicators !!!!!!!!! :Doh:

Thank you all for your assistance - we got ther ein the end (touch wood).

G4GMO - I will definitely take a pic of the engine from inside the cab for you as I can tell you are very interested in these things and learned too. I will await the V5 to see exactly what that says first.

Bye funsters !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
they will need the chassis number not the vin. You may be able to find a chassis number someplace else. The mere often has a plate in the passenger side footwell, but suspect you may not have a passenger door, damn, so start hunting. engine number will help as well.
#
I thought the VIN WAS the chassis number ?

Read my signature folks - NEWBIE CENTRAL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The number I quoted was a chassis number and in this model it has 6114 then 3 numbers a letter P and then 6 numbers. On the V5 the letter p is in lower case, as is the factory information sheet.

I have just checked the VIN number on my vehicle it starts with WDB in black printed letters and is then followed by the chassis number in raised characters. There is definitely a P in the number

The engine number is 602940 a space two numbers another space and then 6 numbers.

You should have been given the tear off section from the log book with the numbers on it.

When I imported my S700 I had to submit the German documents to DVLA that proved the information.

DVLA still sent my V5 back with the vehicle as a
Make: Mercedes
Model: Renault Scenic
Body Type: Pickup
on it so I have no faith in DVLA documents.

John

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi this is only a suggestion- if the speedo hole is leaking oil preventing you use, stick a cork into it and use a sat nav for your speed - good luck identifying your engine :thumb:
terry

The flange that holds the speedo drive in place has to be heated to 170c and then it is driven into place and allowed to cool before fitting the slotted nut that holds the cable in place. Is it the speedo drive shaft and tube that has come out and/or is it the flange or just the slotted nut, that has come off allowing the cable to come out.

Terry is would not pass an MOT with just a sat nav as a speedo.

John

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The flange that holds the speedo drive in place has to be heated to 170c and then it is driven into place and allowed to cool before fitting the slotted nut that holds the cable in place. Is it the speedo drive shaft and tube that has come out and/or is it the flange or just the slotted nut, that has come off allowing the cable to come out.

Terry is would not pass an MOT with just a sat nav as a speedo.

John

No ? but it would let him use the van and tell how fast it is travelling :thumb::ROFLMAO: Does the speedo get checked for the MOT ? Only aware of mileage check
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Hi guys

Its the speedo drive itself that fell off - the cable is hanging freely.

I have ordered all the parts now so fingers crossed it will be sorted.

Upvote 0

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Result !

G4GMO - I will definitely take a pic of the engine from inside the cab for you as I can tell you are very interested in these things and learned too. I will await the V5 to see exactly what that says first.

Bye funsters !

Thanks for the compliment but I'm only as learned as the information I glean from googling and searching the manuals and brochures not all of which is always correct. :ROFLMAO:

Since you've ascertained it's on the 409D chassis then it does sound like it is the 617 engine. Glad you got it sorted anyway and the parts ordered. Result at last :thumb:

No I wasn't particularly interested in a picture of the engine compartment just thought it might help to identify it by compairing with a 602 engine on a 410D chassis. Never let it be said that I have a fetish for engine compartments .... please! :Blush: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back