Speeding fine ? France Feb 2020 (1 Viewer)

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Ok . I can’t be the only one can I ?

Hundreds of us have gone and had to curtail our holidays due to Covid 19 and entering my property after only being away since 10 th Feb found a speeding fine from a camera on the N-12 on my to Saintes.

Checked my route on that day and it coincides with my direction of travel . So if any of you know the N-121 it’s a Toll Road so probably taking my eye off the ball as l’m dead conscious of the speed limits .

The Speed details - 80 km speed Limit and the camera ? recorded me doing ? 86 km

The finite details - Similar to the UK they do give an allowance for oversight.
France gives 5 km over the speed recorded as you pass ...... So 1 km and ? €45euro
to be paid within 46 days

Method of payment - Contest to delay paying but you need to pay a deposit of the fine

Pay within 47-76 days after the reduced fine date ..... pay €68 euro ?

Or... do not pay or appeal €180 euro ?

For me paid by Monza £41.41p with the current exchange rate.

You probably may have seen that the new Speed Cameras look like something from Robo Cop standing 10 ft or more and probably will replace all the ones that the Jellow vests vandalised ...

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our friends got back to the UK a couple of days ago, they had the same, but they also got another saying they had cancelled the fine, hope you get the same. ?
I wondered if they had made the limit 90 from 80 because they was flashed at 87, but maybe just being nice. ? Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DAVWOD

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Our friends got back to the UK a couple of days ago, they had the same, but they also got another saying they had cancelled the fine, hope you get the same. ?
I wondered if they had made the limit 90 from 80 because they was flashed at 87, but maybe just being nice. ? Bob.

Not counting my chickens on that one Bob. The only saving grace is you don’t get points on my licence.
I checked my mileage for our vacation from home and return was 3,125miles What’s that Frank Bruno saying .......... ?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We got one too. :oops:
It was waiting in our letter box, when we arrived home.
Already paid it.

Deleted User
It's not easy over there trying to drive with one eye on the Speedo. Many times I've tried to keep to the limits only to find a few miles later that I've been driving too slow because I've missed a sign. Guess I've been lucky so far.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I got one last year. :cry:

Based on the number of years I've been travelling to/around France, the number of times I may have inadvertently committed 'slightly excessive oversight' and the total number of miles I cover. I consider a £40 fine to be quite reasonable, providing I don't make a habit of it.:rolleyes:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We got flashed this month too. Nothing arrived in the post so far. Only doing a couple of MPH over the limit at the time so hoping nothing arrives!

Reactions: Les
Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
I got flashed on Friday on the A16 getting back to the tunnel, doing 94kmh with a wet 110KmH speed limit, guess they must think I was an HGV so hoping not for a ticket

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I got done on the way down, and like others I am super careful
came out of a 50 limit, into 70... started to accelerate up to 70
Dunno what sign I had see but it was NOT the end of the 50 limit
Got done for 65 in a 50
Cost me 90 €......
Made me even MORE careful on the way home !!!!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I got flashed the first week in February where the limit suddenly drops to 70kph as you pass a junction.
Too busy arguing with the sat nag and missed the sign.
So far nothing has arrived in the post, so either it thought I was an HGV or they have enough on their plate to be bothered about a speeding Brit.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Whenever there is money from fines the computors dish it out regardless. automatic systems have no heart and just follow the program.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
I had to do a speed awareness course last year and on that course severall times it was drummed into everyone there is no allowance on the speed limit as these days as those of you with sat navs will know your car speedo reads over and speed cameras are so accurate they dont need a percentage. the examples given were taken from us the speeders we were asked what our speed was mine was 35 in a 30 he said if you had looked at your speedo it would have read 37-39 and the sat would have read 35

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
There have been a number of warnings on here about the French cameras over the past year. £40 is not too onerous. That we do not have the laws/technology to ensure foreign drivers, speeding in this country, are fined is perhaps salt in the fine.
I mentioned on another thread that the cruise control on new 3 series BMWs on first setting, align to the zone's maximum speed limit if you are slightly over. Especially handy if you are unsure whether the limit is 30/40/50. You then have the option to reset at over the given speed limit if you wish.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I got flashed on Friday on the A16 getting back to the tunnel, doing 94kmh with a wet 110KmH speed limit, guess they must think I was an HGV so hoping not for a ticket
Same with me, within speed limit but flashed. I suspect that the closer you are to the camera on the slow lane, the higher your van seems to be to the camera. It's happened many times over the years, there's a camera at Tours that has flashed me a few times, and one in Niort, etc. Never received a ticket from them.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I had to do a speed awareness course last year and on that course severall times it was drummed into everyone there is no allowance on the speed limit as these days as those of you with sat navs will know your car speedo reads over and speed cameras are so accurate they dont need a percentage. the examples given were taken from us the speeders we were asked what our speed was mine was 35 in a 30 he said if you had looked at your speedo it would have read 37-39 and the sat would have read 35
A little at odds to my experience. I also underwent a Speed Awareness course last December. I was 35 in a 30. The letter that came with the initial notification of action had a table that stated that for a 30 limit, 35 to 40 carried the option of a SAC if I hadn't attended one in the previous 3 years. 41 to 45 was fixed penalty, Fine & Points and over that required a court appearance. There were equivalent values for 40. 50, 60 & 70 limits which all seemed to allow 10% +2 mph. ie, 46 and above in a 40 limit for the SAC option. On the course I was told that if I had been clocked at 34 I would most likely not been prosecuted. Totally agree though that to be doing 35 my speedo would have been reading around 38 so absolutely no excuse.

It may be that individual Police Forces apply things differently, mine was Hampshire, maybe Dorset, Oxfordshire or some other force would have been different. They do all use the same database for previous offences / Speed Awareness courses however.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
only to find a few miles later that I've been driving too slow because I've missed a sign.
That's because in many cases they do not exist. I always observe when thy reduce & when they should increase & there often are no signs. Once you notice & the start looking every time it soon becomes obvious.
Count your blessings; you could be stuck over there. ;)
i do & am glad.(y)

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I got flashed 5 weeks ago in France 5 weeks ago and I know I was under 80 at the time.
just waiting but 45€ is a lot less than I was expecting.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
The guide lines were 10% + 2 mph so 30mph was 35mph very rarely done in my day, we started at 42mph (in a 30, 52 in a 40 etc and around 85mph on a motorway not written down, but discretion was the byword. Speedos in the main read fast. The new guide lines are 10% and each force area can have discretion as to how they interpret it. What I would like to know if anyone can answer is when we leave the EU officially (No Brexit please) will the DVLA still allow access to their data base for EU member states perusing a civil offence? My understanding so far is that they will continue to do so as who for he sake of £40 is going to challenge it in a court of law with all the related expense. I do not advocate speeding but like some on this thread have been caught out but not prosecuted with the sudden changes in speed limits in France We go off the road signs now, Towns /Villages 30kph or maybe less. cross roads on N roads 70 kph top speed on N roads 90kph or even 80 as we found out.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
A little at odds to my experience. I also underwent a Speed Awareness course last December. I was 35 in a 30. The letter that came with the initial notification of action had a table that stated that for a 30 limit, 35 to 40 carried the option of a SAC if I hadn't attended one in the previous 3 years. 41 to 45 was fixed penalty, Fine & Points and over that required a court appearance. There were equivalent values for 40. 50, 60 & 70 limits which all seemed to allow 10% +2 mph. ie, 46 and above in a 40 limit for the SAC option. On the course I was told that if I had been clocked at 34 I would most likely not been prosecuted. Totally agree though that to be doing 35 my speedo would have been reading around 38 so absolutely no excuse.

It may be that individual Police Forces apply things differently, mine was Hampshire, maybe Dorset, Oxfordshire or some other force would have been different. They do all use the same database for previous offences / Speed Awareness courses however.

Does make me wonder the same as my notification and the person doing the course were very clear that if caught again within 3 years I would be fined and have points on my licence not sure if that was 41-45
still as that was my first speeding offence in 48 years hopefully wont happen again

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back