68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I wonder if the spare wheel is included in the unladen weight I think you could argue it is not.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There was someone on here who had similar to you a few years before & he then queried it only to be told that nothing could be done as too long had passed &
¬¬¬
I complained but the legal advice I got was that once you accept the notice you have no recourse in law to have it overturned..so I was stuck with 3 points when in fact technically I was within my permitted speed for a motor home..
Andy..
I remember now that it was you !

I wonder if the unladen weight used in any prosecution / fine would be the number quoted on the V5 or the actual, measured unladen weight 🤔
If it was on the V5 then that would be used
I’ve added semi air suspension and solar, to my MoHo, so would that weight now be included in the Unladen definition or could I argue they were removable accessories??
Our 7,5T flat bed trucks unladen weight did not include the rear mounted crane installed later.
It’s shown as “Mass in Service” on mine. Shows as 3000kg.
As said that isn't Unladen weight-

Here the Unladen weight is shown on everything. For a coachbuilt motorhome my last one had the chassis cab weight before conversion

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Finally (I promise!), if you do stick to traditional tubes and get a puncture, make a note of where the hole is in the tube and check the area of the tyre where the hole would have been.
Also, run your finger gently around the inside of the tyre to make sure whatever caused the puncture is not still stuck in the tyre! If you don’t it.l just cause more punctures.
Interesting one way of challenging the system: a few years ago I had a speeding notice, I live in Essex the speeding incident was in Birmingham and whilst I did go to Bham for business I did nt go on that day I had gone to Cambridge. So I kept getting notices and they kept getting more threatening I just kept ignoring them. Finally I was called to court, the prosecution read out my registration number which was correct, they then stated the vehicle was a blue 4 door saloon, I pointed out that my vehicle was actually a silver two door coupe. Th magistrate was brilliant the prosecution was told in no uncertain terms to get their house in order, I had an apology for my time being wasted. You could have had some fun in doing the same :)
Did you not ask the police for a description or photograph of the vehicle if you knew it wasn't you, would have saved a lot of hassle and wasted time.
I rented a car for 2days for local travel to work. Returned the car with no concerns.
Within two weeks I had a speeding ticket - for an offence in Southsea 😳
The rental company had given my details to the police with no checks in their vehicle and tried to charge me an admin fee.

I didn’t do nothing, I wrote to the police with details of the rental period and mileage explaining that a) I hadn’t done enough miles in the rental car in the time I had the car to go one way to Southsea from where I’d collected the car and b) had an alibi for my real location at the time of the offence.

After a delay I got an apology letter from the relevant police force.
That was nicer than ignoring the charge to later mess about in court, IMO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
On our Certificate of confirmity we have a national unladen weight and a mass in service weight which is national unladen weight plus 75 kgs.
(and also the maximum permissible laden weight of 3500kgs )

so maybe the CoC is a source of information.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I rented a car for 2days for local travel to work. Returned the car with no concerns.
Within two weeks I had a speeding ticket - for an offence in Southsea 😳
The rental company had given my details to the police with no checks in their vehicle and tried to charge me an admin fee.

I didn’t do nothing, I wrote to the police with details of the rental period and mileage explaining that a) I hadn’t done enough miles in the rental car in the time I had the car to go one way to Southsea from where I’d collected the car and b) had an alibi for my real location at the time of the offence.

After a delay I got an apology letter from the relevant police force.
That was nicer than ignoring the charge to later mess about in court, IMO
If the 'system' is lazy sometimes it needs a poke, I was not rude or unpleasant, but maybe just maybe the department conserned should have bothered to double check this facts in the first instance. Had they have sent me a picture with the NIP then I could have responded but as they had not even done that as a courtesy I would do the same again. Having taken the course of action I did I hope that department is a little more diligent and it helps save others from having thier time wasted.

Good to hear you had an apology

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can’t see an unladen weight on my V5.
No requirement to show it on the V5.
It may be on your C of C also Carthago show it on the price list about the only manufacture that gives unladen weight.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
If the 'system' is lazy sometimes it needs a poke, I was not rude or unpleasant, but maybe just maybe the department conserned should have bothered to double check this facts in the first instance. Had they have sent me a picture with the NIP then I could have responded but as they had not even done that as a courtesy I would do the same again. Having taken the course of action I did I hope that department is a little more diligent and it helps save others from having thier time wasted.

Good to hear you had an apology
In my scenario my beef was with the rental company blindly passing on my details with out checks and trying to charge me.
There is also the problem both of us had with cloning and the burden on us to have to explain how it couldn’t of been us.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Just to throw another spanner in the works, vehicles are classed as M1 passenger carrying or N1 goods vehicle with different speed limits on the V5. A lot of vehicles are down correctly as "Motor Caravan" on the V5 but can be either M1 or N1 also so which part does the roadside camera system use to check vehicle speed limits?

Deleted User
Just to throw another spanner in the works, vehicles are classed as M1 passenger carrying or N1 goods vehicle with different speed limits on the V5. A lot of vehicles are down correctly as "Motor Caravan" on the V5 but can be either M1 or N1 also so which part does the roadside camera system use to check vehicle speed limits?
Seems the whole system needs sorting. The speed limits depends upon the maximum laden weight, and/or whether or not a 'Van with Windows' is still a commercial van or a van converted to a motor caravan and this information is not on the V5

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
No requirement to show it on the V5.
It may be on your C of C also Carthago show it on the price list about the only manufacture that gives unladen weight.
Lenny HB does the DVLA have a copy or access to the CoC? Will they obtain it when the van is registered? (And if they have the CoC they’re missing a trick here by being able to supply a replacement to owners who haven’t got one and charge them say £80)
As in previous posts if they haven’t how will the various agency’s know whether to issue the correct speeding ticket.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Lenny HB does the DVLA have a copy or access to the CoC? Will they obtain it when the van is registered? (And if they have the CoC they’re missing a trick here by being able to supply a replacement to owners who haven’t got one and charge them say £80)
As in previous posts if they haven’t how will the various agency’s know whether to issue the correct speeding ticket.

If the people with authority to issue speeding tickets know as much as the members of MH forums about the inaccuracy of DVLA information they should not be using the system at all.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back