LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Help pls, the unladen weight MIRO?? Is that the figure on the EC Certificate of Conformity? I was "told" that my unladen weight was 3076kg but on the COC it says "mass of the vehicle in running order is 3039kgs" and "actual mass of the vehicle 3029kgs" Vehicle in question is a MY 2015 Elddis Encore 255. Will this enable me to run legally at the same speeds as in a car.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Ady

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
So am I correct in saying the CoC is the final word in any dispute?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Unladen weight will be less than MIRO as it does not include fuel and driver,

Cant see why the CofC would not suffice in an argument.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
No, C of C only gives MIRO not unladen weight, no manufacturer gives unladen weight.

How would the plod or smart cameras know whether I was breaking the speed limit, regarding unladen weight? There must be some official guidance on my MH. So much simpler on the continent!

Ady

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
How would the plod or smart cameras know whether I was breaking the speed limit, regarding unladen weight? There must be some official guidance on my MH. So much simpler on the continent!

Ady

They wouldn't. Simple as that.

The manufacturers do not record unladen weight so there's no practical way for anyone to prove what it is.

Even if they did it's not something that has to be notified to DVLA anyway so there's no way for any cameras to differentiate.

You're worrying about nothing. It's a silly overlooked glitch in UK law that few people who don't have a motorhome even know about and nobody cares about it enough to fix it.

Upvote 0

Deleted User

Ady

They wouldn't!

There isn't

Yes it would:)

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Unladen weight is a term more related to commercial vehicles.
You often see the ULW stated on the side of trucks etc.

To determine the unladen weight of a motorhome you really have to look at the legal definition and calculate it from the MIRO which is a totally different thing.

As it's not recorded on your V5, or the weight plate for the vehicle I can't see how speed cameras could identify if you are over the 3050kg limit that brings in the lower speeds. The ANPR / speed cameras would have nowhere to get that info from...
I guess if you did get a ticket and knew you were under 3050kg you would have to provide the evidence by doing the maths..

"Unladen weight
The unladen weight of any vehicle is the weight of the vehicle when it’s not carrying any passengers, goods or other items.

It includes the body and all parts normally used with the vehicle or trailer when it’s used on a road.

It doesn’t include the weight of:

• fuel
  • batteries in an electric vehicle - unless it’s a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair"

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Stated this before but I was in conversation with a chap living in Cornwall.
He had been zapped by a camera on the A30? and received a Speeding Ticket.
He opted for the Speed awareness course and completed it.

The thing was, he was in a 'Van Conversion and there was no way on Earth that the unladen weight would be in excess of 3050Kgs. He took in as read that he was guilty without checking whether or not he had committed an offence.
Whoever was checking the film 'Assumed' that he was 'just' a van and therefore limited to a lower speed limit.

He was attempting to get the fee back for attending the course, the last I heard.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Help pls, the unladen weight MIRO?? Is that the figure on the EC Certificate of Conformity? I was "told" that my unladen weight was 3076kg but on the COC it says "mass of the vehicle in running order is 3039kgs" and "actual mass of the vehicle 3029kgs" Vehicle in question is a MY 2015 Elddis Encore 255. Will this enable me to run legally at the same speeds as in a car.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Ady
Why dont you go and weigh the thing with nowt and no-one in it

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Stated this before but I was in conversation with a chap living in Cornwall.
He had been zapped by a camera on the A30? and received a Speeding Ticket.
He opted for the Speed awareness course and completed it.

The thing was, he was in a 'Van Conversion and there was no way on Earth that the unladen weight would be in excess of 3050Kgs. He took in as read that he was guilty without checking whether or not he had committed an offence.
Whoever was checking the film 'Assumed' that he was 'just' a van and therefore limited to a lower speed limit.

He was attempting to get the fee back for attending the course, the last I heard.
Ahh yes, but was it registered as a “Motor Caravan” or was it a Driftwood conversions special, and recognised as a “Van”

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Why dont you go and weigh the thing with nowt and no-one in it

I can do that quite easily as I work in a quarry, BUT its NOT an official document should I need it to prove anything in the eyes of the law, I could take stuff out and get it well below 3t then put it all back when I get home, but that's not gonna be a defense!!

Ady

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I can do that quite easily as I work in a quarry, BUT its NOT an official document should I need it to prove anything in the eyes of the law, I could take stuff out and get it well below 3t then put it all back when I get home, but that's not gonna be a defense!!

Ady
Doesnt have to be an “official document” the burden of proof dies not fall on you
But you KNOW and if you KNOW then you can di your maths

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Ahh yes, but was it registered as a “Motor Caravan” or was it a Driftwood conversions special, and recognised as a “Van”

It was a kosher, costa fortune 'van conversion from memory made by a major motorhome converter.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back