Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm looking to buy a new sat nav to use in Europe but I notice many have camera alerts. So do some countries have different regulations as regarding the use of this feature.?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes, it is illegal in some countries to have speed camera detectors or alerts. these are turned off automatically by most sat navs in such countries

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Sygic sat nav app warns me of speed cameras and the speed , and the “zones” in France.

Dash cams are not allowed to be used in Austria or Luxembourg, but you are allowed to own one there. Portugal it is illegal to own one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
slightly off topic, Dash Cams are illegal in Portugal
I don't think they are illegal but it is illegal to publish any data from them it's against their data protection laws.
The place where it's really illegal is Austria, First offense €10,000 fine 2nd offense €25,000.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
From the internet.

Austria
While it is not illegal to own a dash cam it is completely illegal to use and drivers could face fines of up to around £9,000 and up to £22,000 for repeat offenders.
Luxembourg
Owning a dash cam is allowed in Luxembourg, but using one is still totally illegal. If you take one, make sure it remains away and not in use.
Portugal
It is completely illegal to own and use a dash cam, so make sure you leave it at home.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
On the back of this post,if you don't mind.
Portugal and Metal Detectors. From what i have been told,its a No No.So Read Up on it if you have one before you use it here Something about Locals and Permits,but thats about it.
Tea Bag

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
There's that Grey line again! Read about this ridiculous situation years ago, even had questions then.
Its not illegal to own one, but you cant use it?
I understand the the Austrian Data protection Issue...just about, but surely the walking tourists are filming everywhere they go in Austria, try and get the Chinese to obey those data protection laws.
Its illegal to use one...when? As evidence of an accident, or to upload footage on to a public website like you tube, or simply to store your own travel footage?
Wonder why?, surely it can only be a useful tool in a determining blame/cause in a fatal accident situation, or maybe even a robbery in some instances.
Doesn't make sense to me.
I wont even mention Drone laws:eek:Bet they are instantly shot down, and the owner is hung!
LES

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Used my Gopro every time I went to Austria on bike (since I got knocked off the Harley in Austria) Might think twice in the Moho?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I don't think they are illegal but it is illegal to publish any data from them it's against their data protection laws.
The place where it's really illegal is Austria, First offense €10,000 fine 2nd offense o€25,000.

The Germans and probably Austria won't allow Google Street View because of data protection law.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The Germans and probably Austria won't allow Google Street View because of data protection law.
not sure thats completely accurate .. just put the little man on a street in Munchen and Innsbruck

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Dash cam footage is for private use only in France and it’s illegal to publicly share footage.
In Germany, you can publicly share footage but faces and number plates must be obscured.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It never works for me in Germany. I'll try it again if you say so.

They started doing cities in Germany but didn’t get much further. They left what they had done online. Germans can apply to have their house blurred out.

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm glad I asked the question, I'm totally with you on this one Pete.

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
There's that Grey line again! Read about this ridiculous situation years ago, even had questions then.
Its not illegal to own one, but you cant use it?
I understand the the Austrian Data protection Issue...just about, but surely the walking tourists are filming everywhere they go in Austria, try and get the Chinese to obey those data protection laws.
Its illegal to use one...when? As evidence of an accident, or to upload footage on to a public website like you tube, or simply to store your own travel footage?
Wonder why?, surely it can only be a useful tool in a determining blame/cause in a fatal accident situation, or maybe even a robbery in some instances.
Doesn't make sense to me.
I wont even mention Drone laws:eek:Bet they are instantly shot down, and the owner is hung!
LES
I have an old, slightly broken action cam mounted on the dash for filming roads, I use a couple of go-pro's on my motorbike. I have only ever been hassled in border/customs areas and once by the military in Maroc. I never knew that anyone made dash cams illegal, when you consider how many smart phones are in circulation it seems a bit out of date. PS. I thoroughly recommend using one in Italy, I had a driver attempt to pull out in my path in Tivoli, I saw his eyes move to the camera and he stopped immediately. In Sicily on a Friday evening when a group of young girls saw the camera, they started dancing & acting the fool.

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
In the countries that are hell bent on screwing us for speeding and I am not in any way defending drivers who break the speed limit. Even goodie goodies can get caught and lets face it the only reason we use a camera detection devise is because we don't want to pay a fine. Anyway my question is do the police have some kind of electronic gadget telling them you're using a camera detector or dash cam or do they rely solely on visual observation.

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
In the countries that are hell bent on screwing us for speeding and I am not in any way defending drivers who break the speed limit. Even goodie goodies can get caught and lets face it the only reason we use a camera detection devise is because we don't want to pay a fine. Anyway my question is do the police have some kind of electronic gadget telling them you're using a camera detector or dash cam or do they rely solely on visual observation.
But it not a camera detection device on a Sat Nag its a database of camera locations or danger areas and the device warns you you are approaching one...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back