Speed Awareness (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Speed awareness courses are netting the police 55 million pounds a year and with the new 20mph limits the revenue is growing by the hour...

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
The ones who were in there for doing it behind the wheel.

Doing "it" behind the wheel ...... not at the same time as driving .... they are obviously more flexible than I:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Several years ago followed a RR northbound on the M1 at 3am travelling at about 20mph in the centre lane. Turned the blue lights on....nothing. Two tones on...nothing. Got alongside, he was in his 6Os she was 18.
Both facing forward definitely not concentrating on the road.:giggler:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Speed awareness courses are netting the police 55 million pounds a year and with the new 20mph limits the revenue is growing by the hour...

So what, They badly need all the money they can get to offset huge budget cuts and if a driver gets caught speeding its their fault, if a driver prefers point on their license there is always the option of Court with a fine and victim surcharge, either way the driver pays and speaking as someone who did get caught I preferred the course, I didn't want the points, didn't want to inform my insurance company with the increase in premium that would bring and I would rather the money go to the police budget than the exchequer where God know what it would be spent on.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Would not be as funny if someone you knew was killed due to a mobile phone user.

I agree .... but ... I have found as my hair goes greyer .... that to keep a sense of humour is paramount ... and a failed sense of humour (mine) never killed anyone as far as I know .. excess speed does and I'm not guilty of that. My horse is not a high one these days

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So what, They badly need all the money they can get to offset huge budget cuts and if a driver gets caught speeding its their fault, if a driver prefers point on their license there is always the option of Court with a fine and victim surcharge, either way the driver pays and speaking as someone who did get caught I preferred the course, I didn't want the points, didn't want to inform my insurance company with the increase in premium that would bring and I would rather the money go to the police budget than the exchequer where God know what it would be spent on.
According to an earlier post in this thread it was suggested that it is mandatory to inform your insurers of any speed awareness courses attended and pay the additional premium. Driving without insurance is somewhat more serious than a minor speeding offence..:(

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Several years ago followed a RR northbound on the M1 at 3am travelling at about 20mph in the centre lane. Turned the blue lights on....nothing. Two tones on...nothing. Got alongside, he was in his 6Os she was 18.
Both facing forward definitely not concentrating on the road.:giggler:

Sorry, should have included the fact that they were both sitting on the drivers seat, her on his lap and stark bollock naked.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
According to an earlier post in this thread it was suggested that it is mandatory to inform your insurers of any speed awareness courses attended and pay the additional premium. Driving without insurance is somewhat more serious than a minor speeding offence..:(

My insurers for both the car and motorhome, Caravan Club and Saga did not want know when i told them I had opted for the speed awareness curse, they both told me there was no need to inform them as I did not have a motoring conviction or a pending motoring conviction. It would have been different had I not opted for the curse.

(Edit) This was a couple of years ago and I have confirmed with them both today 15 Jan,that they only require to be informed of speeding convictions which result in an endorsement on the license.

Having said that I don't know about other insurers and it is obviously up to individuals to check with their own insurer.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin was caught doing 34 in a 30 zone, completely his own fault, the speed limit had changed down from 40 to 30 and he did not notice the different number in the speed limit sign - too busy concentrating on the car in front which was all over the road.

He paid the fine and took the points (no option of the course in those dim and distant days). He told the insurance and they noted it but they did not treat it as serious, it was and is the only points either of us have had and there was no increase in premium.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
As far as I am aware, some insurers want to know some do not, the Police probably do not benefit much by the courses, the time I was caught 81mph on a motorway, thought I was unlucky, but how many times have I broken speed limit over 40years, thats why my motorhome is great, just do not feel the need for speed.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I think this comes from that welll respected accurate newspaper The Daily Mail.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-drivers-attend-speed-awareness-courses.html

Not that I see the BBC as a paragon of virtue but this puts the matter in perspective.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35170779

The money clearly goes towards recovering the costs involved and towards road safety initiatives , there is no slush fund and it is not a profit making excercise. Simply those that get caught have to pay for their offending behaviour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back