Feb 14, 2010
Barrow in Furness
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all had our motorhome for over 12 month now and would like to try France
this year but we are a bit worried that neither of us speak french my question is would we survive.:Confused:
I would be greatfulll for any tips.:thumb:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Yep, you'll survive.

But just from a general respect for the culture you are visiting you should make the effort to learn a few words

David

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi all had our motorhome for over 12 month now and would like to try France
this year but we are a bit worried that neither of us speak french my question is would we survive.:Confused:
I would be greatfulll for any tips.:thumb:

Basic human survival, you will never starve, worst comes to the worst you will always recognise your requirements by photo's or graphics of items you require at supermarkets, pictures are universal, just point at the picture of what you want, go for it!!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nokaii

Free Member
Oct 19, 2010
Nr Manchester
Funster No
Exp
On a trip to Le mans a few years ago with a friend who speaks no French we had a hilarious time watching him ordering ham at a supermarket counter - he pointed to the ham, held up 4 fingers and did 'Karate Chops' to show he wanted slices :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

but seriously all you really need is oui, non, sil vous plait and merci to cope you'll find you'll understand a lot more than you thought you would (also any english words ending TION are in fact originally french and mean the same) so now you're prepared :thumb:.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I survive and I live here!! I'm the only person I know who's moved to France and their ability in the language has deteriorated....
Smile a lot, always say Bonjour, s'il vous plait and merci.

Supermarkets are easy (I still have to look at pictures on packets) but do shop in the markets. The food is fresh, beautiful quality & generally the stall holders are friendly.
Learn a few basics, like coffee, ice cream, beer etc... and just making the effort goes a long way.

Also, buying fuel is same as in UK--you just pay at the kiosk and say "pompe numero..(whatever)...."

Enjoy your trip to France.

OP
OP
B

BJP114

Free Member
Feb 14, 2010
Barrow in Furness
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
We are feeling more confident already looks like this is going to be the year we give it a go.:thumb:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
In the last 12 months I've visited the Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Hungary, Poland, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Andorra, Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco and Portugal.

Do I speak any of these languages other than Gibraltar which is English? No I don't.

Did I survive? Yes
Did I enjoy them all? I certainly did.

Just go for it. What's the worst that can happen?

Pete:Cool:

PS I met some very friendly people in all these countries but the most friendly were in Poland.

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Go for it! As already said learn the French for good morning, goodbye, please and thankyou and use them frequently. The rest you will pick up quite easily.
No matter how foolish you feel always try and use all the limited French you have, invariably someone will come to your rescue who speaks English.

Once you have been once you will want to go again and again.

Norman

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I used to live in the French speaking part of Switzerland and speak reasonable French, which is a help but nothing more than that. As almost all the above posts, being polite, learning and trying to use a few basic words and smiling a lot goes a very long way. The French people always appreciate the English trying to speak their language, if only becuase it gives them an opportuntiy to demonstrate their cultural superiority to you!!

You'll love the place and will slowly get to love the people as well. Enjoy!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is it just me or do French people get friendlier the further south you go?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We are in France now and e do not speak French apart from a few basic words. No problem at all to the point we have commented that we could live here. the biggest problem is understanding them as they talk very fast. We have used supermarkets markets and garages with no problem. I love Britain but France is wonderful too. Go for it.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi all you really need is basic phrases i.e. good manners also usual numbers 1 to 10 always smile and a lot of hand signals ( polite ones only) gets you by. Go for it we have been several times no problems. Terry

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We (Parc Verger - www.parcverger.com) are in rural France in an area that is not a major tourist area. The guests who stay here, many of whom have little or no French, never have a problem, however, as there is always someone to help. Many of the locals get a lot of pleasure in helping les anglais parlay a bit of French, and we have often had conversations where we are trying to speak French and we get responses in English because they are trying to learn our language.::bigsmile:

If you find they are speaking fast just say "doucement s'il vous plait" and they'll smile, slow down for a few words....and then gradually speed up again! It's great fun. So as has been said on previous posts, learn a few basic words and come over and enjoy France, it is a beautiful country, and the locals that you meet will generally be very welcoming.:thumb:

Bob

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I only learned enough French to pass my O level but that was in 1966 so when I first went to France on holiday in 1998 (driven through it to Italy and Spain twice in the interim, last time in the 1970's) Pete spoke more than me and he'd only learned what he knew from fishing holidays accompanied by wifey Mk I, who had been a bi-lingual secretary. His vocab wasn't all that good but he knew some different words to me .....

Anyway I did see the Caravan Club are running a holiday at a campsite where you get French lessons thrown in for the price and TBH I wouldn't mind doing that but would have to check how basic it was; would drive me nuts being cooped up with a load of people chorussing un, deux, trois and singing Frere Jacques etc - but absolutely essential if you don't speak any to begin with!

Like I always tell people, I couldn't speak any Spanish and we used to holiday at a friends villa in Almeria which wasn't (then) at all touristy, so you had to try - the butcher on Almeria market taught me 'medio kilo' when I pointed to 500g on his scales!! And a similar story in another butchers where a lady wanted lamb chops and couldn't see any, so did the 4 fingers and 4 karate chops - and warbled "Baaaaaa" at the butcher! :ROFLMAO:

You'll cope - if you want to!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
As said above... learn the essential bit...; 2 bières s'il vous plait , or une baguette et 4 croissants (2 are definately not enough!) .... don't forget ...merci , au revoir!If in northern france you'll have to say 2 pains au chocolat , while in south you will ask for 2 chocolatines. Different part of france , might mean different words.
French will like your efforts and will give you a helping hand , no prob .... and if the worst happens , like a mechanic prob or sickness... i won't be far to help you. Don't forget to ask in a PM for my mobile number so you can text me whatever you need. I often say it but will say it again : don't call me as i'm working and with the babies'shouts i can't hear a word! Text me , so i can get what you want straight away... and don't forget to tell me WHO you are lol! it might help!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
As usual Frankie offers help,

She sure is a grand girl, what would we do without her.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Might be worth carrying a small Collins French/English dictionary and also the AA Pocket Guide French phrase book. The latter can be found in Matalan or Aldi.

Have a great trip in this fantastic country.

Steve

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Coming home the other week I stopped in the M5 services next to a French registered motor home of course I started to try to say hello etc. at first they gave the impression they did not speak English so we tried in very poor odd words of French and the younger members of the family became less shy and we all had a lovely chat,they were on the way to Scotland for a holiday and we were glad we made the effort as their English was a lot better than my shouting and talking slowly (French):ROFLMAO: and yes they did seem as nice as Frankie

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I agree with all the comments on here - one thing I would add is that some of the fun of being in a foriegn country is getting to know a bit of the language before you go then trying it out it is an excellent ice breaker - most times you you will find their english is better than your attempt at their language but you can really have great fun trying and we have met some great people on our travels because we try - and of course most 'foreigners' ( bear in mind you are the foreigner when abroad :ROFLMAO:) love to use their english as well as help you speak their language.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
French

Just returned from month in France. Before I went I did the 12 week BBC course on French, it's fun and easy and you soon learn enough words and phrases to get along nicely. The marked difference was that most French people liked the fact I was trying. It does not matter if you get it wrong as it's fun for them too. Just make sure you always smile.

Go the the BBC language site and join up. You will get a weekly email of things to learn and it's split into things like, ordering food, shopping, getting taxis, tourist stiff etc. Highly recommended.

My best teacher was a little girl of about 7. she took a shine to our poodle (Caniche) but could not speak a word of English, she just rattled on in French and I tried to understand and speak back. No embarrassment, just a bit of fun.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I love to see children playing eg on the beach abroad, they are probably a complete mish-mash of all nationalities but put children and play together and you have an instant international language - no embarassment about not having the vocab there.

A colleague once told me in the 1970's that in her penultimate year of school, she went to stay for the summer school hols with her penpal whose dad turned out to be the Mayor of Poitiers, and the visit was at their holiday house in Royan. She was helping to wash up after Sunday lunch and commented to one of the older sisters - in French - how much she had enjoyed the lovely joint of roast beef. They fell about laughing and she couldn't understand. They explained it was Pas boeuf - Cheval cherie!!! Another time at the end of a meal she told them she was "plein" and patted her stomach - instant silence and slightly appalled looks, Why? - she had only told them she was full?????

Colloquial French for a bun in the oven, that's why - and every one of them including herself good Catholics!!!!!

:ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Is it just me or do French people get friendlier the further south you go?

That's my experience too :Smile:

I use the Michel Thomas CD's to learn. I have dumped them all onto an ipod nano and it is so easy...

Had some funny moments though as my pronunciation of Merci beaucoup came out as Merci beau cul and the barmaid almost took a swing for me if my french ex hadn't explained rather rapidly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Merci beau cul =thank you nice arse.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
That's my experience too :Smile:

I use the Michel Thomas CD's to learn. I have dumped them all onto an ipod nano and it is so easy...

Had some funny moments though as my pronunciation of Merci beaucoup came out as Merci beau cul and the barmaid almost took a swing for me if my french ex hadn't explained rather rapidly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Merci beau cul =thank you nice arse.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

love it!!!!!:winky:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to agree with what all the others have said. Bonjour has to be the most useful start to any dialogue either in broken French or English and we found that most of the French we met would go out of their way to try to help you. Obviously 'merci' would reward that help and a departing bonjour will usually be returned with a cheery smile. Some of the situations where communication was taking place were amusing and the people we were speaking with found it as amusing as we did.

Wyn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you'll be fine.....

as other have said, just a few words of thanks and gratitude will do.
don't worry about the accent/pronunciation...they'll understand you mean well.

a french phrase book will help, as you can just point to the sentence you want to ask.

just don't go to Paris....even the French are ignored and insulted there :roflmto:

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
I speak French and it really helps but they always speak back in Eglish if they can. You will have no problems - basic human survival will set in and help - if not Frankie will help you lol ::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have never had a problem, Mrs ShiftZZ knows a lot more French than I do, but I am prepared to have a go at anything, I agree with everything written on here, the French in the main (99%) are very polite and will try and help.
We have even been helped by old ladies directing us towards car parks.

Another tip that we use, is to go to the local Tourist office and introduce yourself, ask for details of local produce, then go and buy some.. We have done this everywhere and we even managed to buy seaweed sausages and the nice lady tried in her best English to give us cooking instructions,,,Plus you get to try some really nice produce,,

Lastly, just enjoy,,,

ShiftZZ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back