Speakers (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a Carthago which is only a year old the dealer is currently doing some warranty work which isn't going well I asked them if they could upgrade the speakers as a form of compensation as the sound quality is not good they have come back to me and said it wouldn't make any difference upgrading them because it's the way they are positioned am I being fobbed of or would it make the sound better if they were upgraded

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
While I cannot say whether the sound would improve or not, they are likely to be fobbing you off as they would be unlikely to want to spend on them and then find that you are not happy with the change.
You would be better off possibly negotiating a free or discounted service in the future

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Size & position will make a difference also the area the go in will have an effect as to whether there is enough space & material behind them.
I would say do it yourself then you have the option to move them around or just upgrade the quality.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have some sympathy with the positioning argument. Our Pilote Aclass has speakers at the front that are facing straight up, which shoves the music straight up, have tried other speakers with no improvement, it really needs pods to angle the speakers but I have yet to find any suitable.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
And of course the current amplifier (radio) has to be able to drive the better units. Proably OK, but not necessarily true.

Positioning is key to quality, but then so is the quality of the speakers themselves.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have to say that the sound quality from the speakers in our van is excellent! We have 2 up back in the lounge, woofers and tweeters over the Dinette, and the standard Ducato ones up front in the cab. OK the cab ones are a bit tinny, but no complaints about the rest!

[edit]
I wouldn't swear to it right now, but I think our hab speakers are Blaupunkt!

Reactions: f6c
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Standard speakers are normally OK for a van but you have a motorhome so you want a little better quality sound

For better sound you really need to have speakers pointing into the habitation area with the ability to split bass and treble ideally you should have four speakers pointing inwards to the centre of the lounge and a couple for the cab area so you can hear it when you are driving

So changing the speakers for two others may or may not help but generally won't

Your best bet is to find a car audio person and ask them to give you an idea of how to improve your music

Reactions: f6c
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Also, avoid fitting a satnav or rear view monitor in front of the right hand front dash speaker, my last van had a monitor there that ruined the sound.

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
And of course the current amplifier (radio) has to be able to drive the better units. Probably OK, but not necessarily true.

Positioning is key to quality, but then so is the quality of the speakers themselves.

Precisely :).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
wouldn't make any difference upgrading them because it's the way they are positioned

Speakers are a bit of a black art. The round black thing on it's own produces really terrible sound, it's the enclosure that makes it work. The problem is sound comes out of a speaker forwards and backwards, if these mix then the sound volume is increased or reduced at different frequencies. The speaker box is tuned to stop this happening. So they could be right.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our Carthago has German Visaton speakers fitted, two in the cab and two above the side seat (next to the table).
Sound is pretty good although out of respect to our neighbours on site we don't wind it up too much.
The speakers above the side seat are great as they are just above my head when sitting there and the TV sound is wired through the radio. That means good sound without having to raise the TV volume too much.

Richard.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We had a similar issue, but solved it in a slightly different way....having heard someone else's Bose "Soundlink Colour" speaker, we bought one.

Utterly awesome piece of kit.

It supports bluetooth, is portable with own built in battery which lasts ages; charge it up with micro USB lead from mains or 12 volt, has mini-jack in to connect TV's/ CD players etc that don't have bluetooth, can be used outside of the motorhome, can be taken out of it and used in the house/garden etc when not on tour, can be placed in the MH exactly where you want to put it for best sound at that time; and the sound performance really is utterly stunning.
About 100 quid. Fantastic value for money.
Example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bose-soundlink-colour-/192040132974?hash=item2cb67be16e:g:f-0AAOSwj85YPYbT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back