Speaker replacements under drop down bed (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi everyone, first post.
We have a Hymer B544 with drop down bed. Located in the bed under the mattress are speakers that direct sound into the cab. Both speakers vibrate and distort and basically sound terrible.
Has anybody ever tried to replace them with better than the cheap Chinese versions that are fitted. I am not trying to turn the Motorhome into a “beats box” just wanting to hear Radio 2 a bit clearer and without vibrations.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Have you tried turning the bass down, I did disconnect mine once because I thought there were some distortion but I adjusted the settings and got a good balance in the end...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think you will find they were not original Hymer fit .. there are none fitted to our drop down bed base, Hymer B644

basically the base is a big piece of plastic with a void , any speaker mounted there will vibrate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
I think you will find they were not original Hymer fit .. there are none fitted to our drop down bed base, Hymer B644

basically the base is a big piece of plastic with a void , any speaker mounted there will vibrate
We have the same, bad speakers- original mounted. Probably a sound package option. It’s not regular speakers, the available space for fitting speakers there is really small. They’re quite impressive for the size, but tend to distort the upper part of the sound spectrum in relation to sounds generated in the lower spectrum (ie bass). My plan is to disconnect them and find another place to mount new, real speakers.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Speakers like these is what is mounted in my drop down bed:
70332CEC-9C0E-4D26-95D1-9C2E0FF0217F.jpeg

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No

We have them and yes they are original Hymer fit .

OP
OP
H
May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for all the advice. I have turned the bass down, it did help but did not totally eliminate the problem. The system is definitely an original part of the Hymer, I think it might be included in the Home Theatre package. Our last B544 Hymer had a plastic surround bed, but this is much newer and made from wood and covered in fabric.
I guess I’ll have to pull the heavy mattress off and get the speakers out for a closer look. If I can get some Pioneer or similar speakers, that hopefully will improve the sound quality along with some padding and sealant if needed.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They are, strictly speaking, not speakers. They are called exciters (ooooooo matron) by the makers and are supposed to utilise the board they are attached to as a speaker cone. They can be a bit bass heavy but I think they are OK when matched with the speakers in the dash.

In our Hymer there are also exciters in the headboards of the beds (now calm down) so those boards also act as speakers.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
They are, strictly speaking, not speakers. They are called exciters (ooooooo matron) by the makers and are supposed to utilise the board they are attached to as a speaker cone. They can be a bit bass heavy but I think they are OK when matched with the speakers in the dash.

In our Hymer there are also exciters in the headboards of the beds (now calm down) so those boards also act as speakers.
Most Hymer owners are so old any form of excitement will probably kill them !
My mate always tried to convince me that the drop down appliance shelf is for a coffee machine but after contacting Hymer they confirmed it's for a liquidiser as most owners can't cope with solid food (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Most Hymer owners are so old any form of excitement will probably kill them !
My mate always tried to convince me that the drop down appliance shelf is for a coffee machine but after contacting Hymer they confirmed it's for a liquidiser as most owners can't cope with solid food (y)

That’s quite funny, fortunately we’re still the wrong side of fifty and have all our own teeth.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009

Exactly:) Same in our hymer

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had them in the last two vans standard fit on all Hymers. Never noticed any problems with them, only problem we do get is due to the rear ones mounted in the rear wall they are louder outside the van than in. They are not full blown speakers they are there to enhance the sound balance so I think you may be over driving them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back