Sparrow Hawk (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Just had the Sparrow Hawk visit the bird feeder
I suppose he has to eat, although not successful this time.
Does anyone know a way of deterring them.
Couldn't get the link to work , sorry.
Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
The image either isnā€™t available or you have sharing turned off......šŸ˜¢

D6CE66E8-10AF-4263-8344-D724070FB607.jpeg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I get an Amazon advert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
The words sparrow hawk were a hyperlink when I originally clicked it....no advert In post.

If thatā€™s a sparrow hawk heā€™s let out of that box......Itā€™s very small.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would never deter a Sparrowhawk from your garden, to me it's a bit like saying how do I deter a Blackbird from eating a worm.
Nature at its best, we get all sorts of killings going off in our garden, Owls killing rodents, Kestrels killing Mice/Voles, Stoats killing Rabbits, Hedgehogs killing Slugs, Adders killing frogs etc etc and so on.

It's all part of the cycle. Think yourself lucky you have a lovely Sparrowhawk in the area which in turn means a healthy population of small birds. One inevitably leads to the other.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
A Sparrowhawk went through our garden yesterday, only managed a quick snack.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Sparrowhawks are hedgerow ambush hunters (i used to fly and hunt with them many years ago) If your bird feeder/table is placed close to a fence/hedge line then it suits their attack style, think of them as an F18 on full throttle coming in low and then jinxing up/around what ever was hiding them from sight. Ideally place your feeder/table in an open space which gives them less chance of a surprise attack although that'll probably just mean they adopt another garden as a hunting ground, they will actually often garden hop just to see what's not paying attention.....

Well done for spotting it.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
A sparrow hawk bounced off my head a few days ago! I was outside the van bending over the laundry when I heard a squawking noise and as I stood up a small bird flew into the large bush next to the van followed by another bird clipping my hat. There was a commotion in the bush then the sparrow hawk exited and flew off. Seen it about a couple of times since then though it hasn't assaulted me again :giggle:.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Quite a good idea to site feeders so that there is not clear line of site to them that way Sparrowhawk will not be able to fly in quickly and ambush birds.
We have Sparrow hawks cruising around most days but they usually have to perch somewhere to asses their chances so not many fatalities on our feeders.šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This thread made me look for this picture I took a year or so ago, It was sat on the fence in the garden, it also wasnā€™t as shocked or startled as I was when I noticed it.

Is it a sparrow hawk or kestrel?

View attachment 402700
Sparrowhawk nice photošŸ‘šŸ˜Š

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
A sparrow hawk bounced off my head a few days ago! I was outside the van bending over the laundry when I heard a squawking noise and as I stood up a small bird flew into the large bush next to the van followed by another bird clipping my hat. There was a commotion in the bush then the sparrow hawk exited and flew off. Seen it about a couple of times since then though it hasn't assaulted me again :giggle:.
Same thing happened to me years ago, just stopped for a break and sat in a chair on the patio, as I stood up sparrow hawk skimmed my head and shot into the bushes in front of me, problem was there was a brick wall right behind the bushes, sparrow hawk appeared, groggily, shook itā€™s head and flew off.

Reactions: SMB
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Actually had one fly inside our conservatory a few years ago the doors were wide open, I had to catch him and released outside I felt very privileged that it let me pick him up and do that he was quite calm and flew off on his wayšŸ˜Š

Reactions: SMB

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Have a look at this, fantastic film on a garden sparrow hawk.
Oh by the way, their is bugger all you can do to stop them.ā˜¹

Brings back memories. That's a Musket in the video (male Spar) an Exocet of the forest and way beyond my skills, i only ever flew females, still untrainable nutters in their own right.

Nice video and captures really well what they are all about.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hm, our seed & nut stash became a sparrowhawk feeding station this morning - didn't see what he took but there have been a lot of greenfinches & chaffinches about lately. Then this afternoon, a kestrel hovering just a few yards away. We've had 2 hen harriers around for a few months and on Monday, no fewer than 3 sea eagles together just above the house.
I think our current over-population of shrews, voles, toads, sparrows and rabbits may take a bit of a battering...

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Hm, our seed & nut stash became a sparrowhawk feeding station this morning - didn't see what he took but there have been a lot of greenfinches & chaffinches about lately. Then this afternoon, a kestrel hovering just a few yards away. We've had 2 hen harriers around for a few months and on Monday, no fewer than 3 sea eagles together just above the house.
I think our current over-population of shrews, voles, toads, sparrows and rabbits may take a bit of a battering...

Where do you live Mull ?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have a Sparrow Hawk as a regular visitor most days, usually just before 10am and then again around
5 pm.
An amazing sight to watch nature close up.

hawk1.jpg
hawk4.jpg

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We have a Sparrow Hawk as a regular visitor most days, usually just before 10am and then again around
5 pm.
An amazing sight to watch nature close up.

View attachment 423681 View attachment 423682

That is a "he", lovely looking little fella and cracking pictures (y)

He must have been there for quite a few minutes as his crop is full of that starling, yum yum...

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Even better, lucky b........

Most people are happy with a few sparrows or an odd blue tit, this fella gets White Tailed Sea Eagles, Hen Harriers and Sparrowhawks:LOL:

Can only imagine how impressive it is to watch the WTSE's gliding around, but 3 ! that's just being greedy(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back