Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My dometic fridge does a good job of cooling but it can be a pig to light. I can gain some access if I take the bottom vent off.

My question, if all else fails, does it work to hold a hand held spark lighter in the right place while somebody inside holds the switch in?

When I ask the experts, because it is gas related, they back off for fear of getting into trouble.

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I've got it booked in for two weeks hence; but it would be useful to know if a spark lighter will get me out of a fix if it turns off in hot weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

sounds to me like the spark probe has moved too far from the jet assembly leaving too large a gap to jump.

or possibly the jet is partly blocked by fallen debris from the burner tube.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I to have had problems lighting a dometic fridge, I used to use a gas lighter, the kind of lighter where the flame is at the end of a metal tube, that worked fine.

I have also had other problems, one of which you can check yourself.....

The HT Cable attachment at the sparking rod at the flame assembly get weak with the heat from the flame, the attachment is very similar to an open spark plug on your car, IE not plastic around it.

The fitting starts to become intermittent or even falls off completely, if you can pull it off without any effort then gently close it up with a set of pliers and refit it.

The other fault I have found is with the mode change switch, (if you have the manual model).
The way to test this is to light the gas in the usual way and the have some one look at the flame and check its lit, after a wait to heat the thermocouple release the gas press button, if the flame goes out at this point then it could be the mode switch or the thermocouple.

PS I doubt if the spark gun idea will work as you will not be able to get the spark into the gas outlet. Also I must add the there is a danger mixing gas and flames so think about it and take care.

Doug...

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
yes, that is exactly the sort of lighter I wanted to use.... the one with the long tube that is used for lighting the stove.... thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As a temporary measure,yes you can.......Just to get you outa trouble till you get it serviced.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back