Spare Wheel (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2020
Berwick upon Tweed
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
Just got our first Motorhome a few weeks ago, and had our first jaunt this weekend. In the prep for this I spent a bit of time making sense of electrics/water/weight/storage......fortunately,despite all 4 tyres looking good, I also spent a bit of time locating and freeing up from rust/grime etc the spare wheel cage under the vehicle. Time well spent as 3 miles from our front door, at the end of a c300 mile round trip, we had a blow out. So glad I had prepped this before, including the two Lug holes in these van wheels which I’ve never come across in all my years driving cars. Thanks to the Funsters who earlier helped point me in the right direction in this regard!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’d advise to check all the other tyres, any idea why it blew..?
check the age of the tyres...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ringy
Oct 8, 2020
Berwick upon Tweed
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
Yeah, there was certainly plenty of tread - I’ll ask the question tomorrow. No sign that I could see if perishing - there was a very loud metallic sounding noise (Rather than what I think is a more usual ‘boom’ ) - at first we thought something had maybe come off the roof and clattered a vehicle going in the other direction - maybe it was a can or something like that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
How to check the age of tyres..

1603657303088.jpeg

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just for info is that it’s a common thought on here that tyres should be changed around 5-7 years old, regardless of tread left..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ringy
Oct 8, 2020
Berwick upon Tweed
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
Will check that - want to do whatever I can to avoid a repetition - no-one hurt, happened in a well lit area - mightn’t be so lucky next time!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back