Spare wheel (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
We have a Fiat Ducato PVC and wonder if any member has experience of tyre repair kits. I would like to run without the spare wheel to use the space for a sliding rear step. I know of several cars that do not have a spare, just a repair kit but I am not sure if this would work with the large tyres and high pressures found on PVC's
As an alternative has anyone fitted a space saver spare tyre on the Ducato ?
Guidance would be much appreciated.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
The one that came with our brand new m/h didn't work, found out when i wanted to put a bit of air in the Tyre just recently, when i go for service in November will ask them to replace warranty runs out end of November now carry a spare,.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We wouldn't run any of our vehicles without a spare wheel.

'Get you home' kits often render the tyre unrepairable.

Our 6-wheel drawbar trailer carries two spares in the back, our 4-wheel trailer has a spare, the Mercedes has a new spare as it came without one.

Statistically you are less likely to have a puncture these days, but if you do it is going to be a real bummer when it happens somewhere remote and your repair kit won't work because the tyre is unseated off the rim or just damaged.

We are going to Lincoln this weekend, we are exhibiting at the show and all the 6 + 2 spares are checked over.

Peter

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Hi all
Many thanks for your input, will keep the spare and work round it to fit the step. It will probably mean making the step easily removable so we can drop the spare if needed but hey, I love a technical challenge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If your van came with a spare wheel most breakdown services will not attend for a tyre related problem unless you have the spare with you.

They will come out if there was only a fix and go type system supplied from new.

Our van has the gunk but we carry a spare tyre (not a spare wheel). If we ever do have to call them out for a tyre problem I will tell them we have the gunk and carry a spare tyre but no spare wheel - that way they can send the correct kit to rescue us (I hope).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back