Spare wheel (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
As mentioned on another thread as soon as DVLA provide me with a registration number for our new imported van we will be off.

We are very much newbies and a few questions come to mind.

We paid extra for a spare wheel. Our invoice said it would be "underfloor", so we were disappointed that they installed it in our garage taking up valuable room. I assume we can get it moved. Does anybody have a Burstner Ixeo it 680G or similar, where is your spare located?

Also do people have spare wheels generally and even if they do if you get a flat do you need professional help with vehicles of this size? Our Van is 4 tons and I note we do not appear to have jacks or anything to change it anyway.

I will contact our dealer in Germany but some initial clarification from members would be gratefully received!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Yep we spec,ed our Arto with a spare wheel ,theres no way i would buy a vechicle without on.We have it bolted in the garage so much better that trying to get it from under neath especially after a couple of winters with salt on the road and the bolts on the carrier have corroded :eek:,doesnt take up much space and anyway if we did have that space in the garage we would probably fill it with stuff that we would never use:LOL::LOL:.
Brian & Jo

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Is it on an AL-KO chassis? if yes then Alko only make a drop down carrier for the rear end but when a garage resides there it will not fit.
Brian is absolutely correct as behind the rear axle it will suffer.
You can change a wheel yourself but just like here I would not attempt it on a major road or motorway.
Your toolkit is either under a front seat or on the garage wall and will contain all you need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
Fair point Brian & Jo.

Techno its on the Fiat Maxi chassis.

I don't even know if you change the wheel yourself on these vehicles or need professional help?

OP
OP
S
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Techno, I will have a look!

We decided to carry our bikes in the garage rather than on a rack, so the spare wheel is unhelpful. It means we will have to buy folding electric bikes, so there is a solution.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Hi, We collect our it 680 g on the 9th May. We saw it last week and the same as you the wheel is in the garage. Our dealer has told us they will be putting it underneath for us before we collect it.
I wouldn't be without a spare wheel.
We went for the twin telescopic bike rack on the rear.

OP
OP
S
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
Hi, We collect our it 680 g on the 9th May. We saw it last week and the same as you the wheel is in the garage. Our dealer has told us they will be putting it underneath for us before we collect it.
I wouldn't be without a spare wheel.
We went for the twin telescopic bike rack on the rear.

Thanks for your reply pandj. We have just bought a table and 2 chairs and when they arrive we can start to see how much space we will have. It will be interesting how they fix yours. We decided almost 8 months ago at order time to dispense with the bike rack but we might have been a bit hasty.

Best of luck with your van, our first impressions are very favourable. We spent 2 nights in it getting it home including a stop at Carrefour Cite Europe. The bed was very comfortable.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
That's good to hear. It's a long time to worry that you've made the right decision.
I must admit that when we saw it last week it seemed better than we remembered from October and we spent 6 hours climbing all over one then before committing.
I think they will be a popular van.(y) ( I think our dealer has sold all theirs)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Surely if you've been invoiced for it being it fitted "underfloor", then that's where it should have been put - are you sure the dealer hasn't stuck it the garage for his own laziness.
You need to go back & get him to do what was agreed and invoiced for.
If there's are reasons why it can't be done - then a refund is order.

OP
OP
S
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
Surely if you've been invoiced for it being it fitted "underfloor", then that's where it should have been put - are you sure the dealer hasn't stuck it the garage for his own laziness.
You need to go back & get him to do what was agreed and invoiced for.
If there's are reasons why it can't be done - then a refund is order.

I agree Langtoftlad. At the time I wasn't aware of the "norm" for these things, I can now approach the dealer in Germany and see what he says.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Good luck
There was no solution for mine but to make one
CA_03281310435288-L.jpg

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Thanks for that Andy, hopefully the dealer will do an equally good job :whistle: and I won't have to diy :cool:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
When I bought my Knaus (on a Ducato chassis) new last year it came with one of these "sealer/inflater" devices which IMO are as much use as tits on a bull!

I got the Knaus dealer & Fiat commercial garage to fit a spare wheel carrier and spare wheel underneath - comes with a special tool/adapter to fit carrier to half inch socket drive.

Piece of p1$$ to use I'm told - if I ever have a puncture then I hope it is easy - for the breakdown mans sake!! cos as Andy sez "no shame in calling your breakdown service" :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Looks like it's pointing at the offside wheel so presumable not accessible without great difficulty.

Last edited:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Not had one before so will investigate and report back.(y)
we've got a crossmember running across where you fitted your one from what I can see.

OP
OP
S
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
Hi pandj, the van looks really really nice. I attach a pictures of ours, ignore the mug looking happy with himself! Many thanks for showing how the wheel has been put underneath. You obviously have the maxi chassis as do we (ours at 4000kg) so we must be able to have a similar set up, very interesting.

I am still going through UK registration so other than our 2 day trip home and a return trip to a local Fiat Professional garage, we haven't used it. Its very frustrating especially with the brilliant weather recently!

Do your sliding doors in the bathroom open when in transit? That's the only little problem we have had so far.

Anyway all the best to you and good luck on your first trip, you are at least 2 weeks ahead of us.

Regards
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_1483.JPG
    IMG_1483.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 22

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Nice looking van' can feel your frustration at not being able to use it, it was bad enough for us knowing it was at the dealers for a month, at least it wasn't on our drive.

You are correct it's the 4000kg chassis, we went for the extra 250kg (wine loading :D)

The van we test drove had bathroom doors that opened in transit but our van has a different set up and was fine for the 200 mile trip home. (magnets seem stronger).

Hope you're on the road soon.

Regards
Paul & Jax

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
make sure it is all lubricated and threads clean , it must work WHEN YOU need it, You need a decent Hydraulic Jack with an axle lift point welded on it .

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
make sure it is all lubricated and threads clean , it must work WHEN YOU need it, You need a decent Hydraulic Jack with an axle lift point welded on it .
This lifting device has no threads and needs no lubricant and all moving parts are enclosed.
Same unit on mine
CA_04071316410368-L.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back