LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
i currently have 4 15 in wheels fitted with Continental Vanco 215/70R15 109 tyres. These are partly worn. I also have a brand new tyre same size and make etc. on the spare. Because I am upgrading, I am changing the 4 tyres for 225/70R15 112 rating. I’m probably getting the Michelin Agilis CPs, but only if I can find out the right pressure, otherwise it will be the Continental All Seasons.

Now, I think I know the answer to this, but I’ll ask anyway. Can I keep the 215/70 as a spare, and in the event of a puncture on one of the new 225/70s, could I use this to get me home?

If not, I can sell the spare wheel and brand new tyre, and get another. Where is the best place to get a spare rim?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Don’t see why not, space saver tyres are much narrower than the other tyres.
Edit. But it may well be the wrong load rating so maybe not.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Yes, that is what I was thinking. Maybe limit the speed to 50 mph

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
If you email / phone Michelin wirh your axle weights they will tell you the recommed pressure.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/contact
Thanks, I have been trying that site today. It keeps giving me error messages when I click on the email link, and the live chat link is not working. I will keep trying the phone number during the week.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, I have been trying that site today. It keeps giving me error messages when I click on the email link, and the live chat link is not working. I will keep trying the phone number during the week.

Tell me about it I've been trying to click and collect some paint from B&Q as their low on stock and their sites not working either :mad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Edit. But it may well be the wrong load rating so maybe not.
Space saver tyres have special dispensation and are speed and distance restricted.... Something like 50mph and 30 miles.
Otherwise, tyres on the same axle must be the same type, size, speed and load rated.

It's known as double standards of the highest degree.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You can get new steel wheels from ebay. As far as I can see you can only get alloy wheels in sets. I have got a spare wheel from ebay for my Mercedes rapido 16" wheels.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably ok as a get you home in the UK but if you go to France or Spain tyres on the same axle have to be the same.
Why not get 5 and rotate them.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Probably ok as a get you home in the UK but if you go to France or Spain tyres on the same axle have to be the same.
Why not get 5 and rotate them.
I don’t mind getting 5. I’m just reluctant to give away a brand new tyre as well as 4 lightly worn ones to the dealer!

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
If you email / phone Michelin wirh your axle weights they will tell you the recommed pressure.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/contact
I got an answer today, ( I had quoted 1950 kg front load and 2240 rear axle load. Answer as follows:

Thank you for contacting Michelin customer care.

Regarding your query, the recommended tyre pressure for the rear (single) axle of a motorhome running on the MICHELIN Agilis Camping is 80 PSI (5,5bar) and for twin axle 69PSI (4,75bar)

This is due to the construction of the tyre with 2 casing plies enabling the use of higher pressures. Its construction and the use of higher pressures is designed to cope with continual heavy loads sometimes found on motorhomes and can help with wear pattern issues, if lower pressures are used particularly on the rear axle.

The front tyres however can be adjusted down to a pressure of 65 PSI for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance.

Here are some safety points to be taken into account when it comes to tyre pressures:

1. Always check the pressures when the vehicle tyres are cold. We consider the tyres as being cold if they haven’t been used for at least 2 hours of it they have rolled less than 3 miles at low speed. If the tyres are not under these conditions they are considered to be hot.

2. When the tyres are hot you should always add 4,4 PSI to the recommended pressure.

3. Please remember - Never deflate a hot tyre!

I hope this information was helpful and please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions. We are happy to help.

MICHELIN Customer Care
Passenger Car & Light Truck Tyres
Tel:
E-mail: contact@tc.michelin.eu
Contact us: http://www.michelin.co.uk/contact
Web: http://www.michelin.co.uk

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Three reasons you cant use the "old spare"
As other post pointed out using mixed size tyres on same axle illegal .
The second reason is that the old tyre is smaller diameter than new tyres .
The third is the load range probably wont be sufficient with your upgrade

The rim doesn't need to be sold , as the new tyre will fit, and your old rim might not be suitable for the vehicle of the possible purchaser of your old tyre anyway , which means he would also need to remove tyre from rim to fit to his rim

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Three reasons you cant use the "old spare"
As other post pointed out using mixed size tyres on same axle illegal .
The second reason is that the old tyre is smaller diameter than new tyres .
The third is the load range probably wont be sufficient with your upgrade

The rim doesn't need to be sold , as the new tyre will fit, and your old rim might not be suitable for the vehicle of the possible purchaser of your old tyre anyway , which means he would also need to remove tyre from rim to fit to his rim
Thanks. I’m resigned to buying 5 new ones. I will keep the old ( brand new ) spare and offer it for sale on here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back