Spare wheel on a Chausson ? Yes you can ! (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Like many on here I have been nervous about not having a spare wheel available on my MH.

Crawling about underneath my Chausson Flash Best of 10 with a tape measure quickly confirmed that there was no space big enough to fit a spare wheel underneath.

I considered fabricating a couple of new, smaller grey waste tanks, mounting them more forwards and tubing them together to replace the current tank which sits right at the back. But the amount of bother that would have been put me off real quick.

So next idea was to hang the spare wheel on the back of the MH. I looked at using the already fitted bike carriers, but I really did not like the idea of hanging 32k directly onto the back wall. It also occurred to me that you'd be lifting that amount of weight pretty high, not easy.

So the next plan was to fabricate a structure which would bolt to the chassis rails rather like a tow-bar, but just carry the spare wheel. The carrier was designed never to touch the back wall of the MH as I think there would be some relative sideways movement of the Hab wall and the chassis.

First off I made a 2 dimensional space model of the diameter of the wheel (bought from scrap yard to get the rim, so disregard the state of the tyre in the photos, new one will be bought) and stood it on the back of the MH to see if it would fit.

MH1.jpg

So it was a goer. I then bolted together some 3mm wall 75mm x 50mm section to 5mm x 50mm x 50mm angle, attached the 3mm wall 50mm x 25mm uprights and got them professionally welded (I'm OK with tacking stuff, but needed these joints to be perfect).

This then slid into the chassis rails.

MH2.jpg

MH5.jpg

I then made a small plate out of 3mm thick and had the mounting spigot and bolts welded on. This is removable as the back of our MH is literally an inch from the gate and people pass close by, no chance of leaving the spare wheel on so might as well take the mounting plate off as well (more on this bit later).

MH3.jpg

And with a wheel on.

MH4.jpg

MH6.jpg

After getting it all powder coated.

MH7.jpg

Into position

MH8.jpg

And finished

MH9.jpg

Well not quite finished !! I'm thinking of dropping the upright heights by about 2" as even at the present height to lift the wheel to just about chin height it not easy, (tho I'm guessing it's a lot easier than trying to haul it out from an under chassis mounting), so 2" lower might be a lot better.

I'm also thinking of adding a third upright to the right of the present two, by using the idea of the removable bit which the wheel hangs on, I could make a removable bits which carries say two jerry cans or a large extra luggage box. The MH might get re-named as Thunderbird 2 !!

It was a fiddly job to get all the measurements correct, but a stroke of luck was that there is exactly 25mm space behind the number plate recess to take the 25mm thick upright metals !!

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Fantastic piece of work @Geordies (y):D2

I love these how to / step by step photo-posts :)

After the powder coating, It looks like it left the factory like that :cool:

Reactions: f6c

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nice job, don't forget some locking wheel nuts though so the wheel doesn't get nicked.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Nice job, don't forget some locking wheel nuts though so the wheel doesn't get nicked.

What isn't shown is in the spigot which goes thro the wheel centre there is a hole drilled in it, so I can put a 12mm "pin" thro it and secure it with a decent padlock, so no way can the wheel get nicked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Very nice job..I'd have pinched the idea on my 620 but I have the large locker door on the back. .
I could fabricate something to underling it under the garage but from memory that would reduce my ground clearence with the overhang so am planing on securing it in the garage..
I'e already removed my waste tank pipe on a ferry ramp in Scotland :D
Andy
PS. .
so no way can the wheel get nicked.
you're from tyneside...you should know better than make a statement like that:LOL::LOL::LOL:

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
As long as you mount very close to rear axle ground clearance isnt compromised. I followed Techno,s fabrication and it works well.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
That's a really smart solution. It should be factory fitted standard or at least an optional extra.

Obviously you don't have a long overhang at the back so not a lot of compromise on the rear axle loading.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Looks the job!

Just wondering if any reason why on the left side? And was insurance company ok about modification.

Now who could make me one.............. and all other chausson 510 best of 10 owners

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Looks the job!

Just wondering if any reason why on the left side? And was insurance company ok about modification.

Now who could make me one.............. and all other chausson 510 best of 10 owners

At the NEC in Oct I spoke to a person from my insurance company as they had a stand there. They said no problem, just inform us when it's completed and ready for use. So I will basically send them the photo's from above. Also got word from a traffic cop that as far as he was concerned there was no problem with it.

As to making others, no thanks, but if someone wanted to do a production run I could point out the pitfalls and better ways of doing it.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thanks for the update re insurance.

Bit about making one was a little tongue in cheek! But really a compliment about how good it looks . If I went down the same route I would have to miss the bike rack somehow though.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
As long as you mount very close to rear axle ground clearance isnt compromised. I followed Techno,s fabrication and it works well.

I have room under my rear overhang on my Hymer B544, but only leaves about 5" road clearance, it would sit between the chassis rails and have the tow bar at back of it.

Now my question is, will 5" be enough clearance between wheel and road at back of van ?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Put a skid plate on towbar, run a string line from underside of axle, through underside of spare and level at towbar will set skid plate level.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Grounding will accur on aproach to ramp, once on ramp, top will always be clear . Only time I have had a problem , was a grey water dump set above parking level.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As a fellow best of 10 owner it looks great although we might have a problem with the bike rack.

Grad

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 510
Exp
3 years
Like many on here I have been nervous about not having a spare wheel available on my MH.

Crawling about underneath my Chausson Flash Best of 10 with a tape measure quickly confirmed that there was no space big enough to fit a spare wheel underneath.

I considered fabricating a couple of new, smaller grey waste tanks, mounting them more forwards and tubing them together to replace the current tank which sits right at the back. But the amount of bother that would have been put me off real quick.

So next idea was to hang the spare wheel on the back of the MH. I looked at using the already fitted bike carriers, but I really did not like the idea of hanging 32k directly onto the back wall. It also occurred to me that you'd be lifting that amount of weight pretty high, not easy.

So the next plan was to fabricate a structure which would bolt to the chassis rails rather like a tow-bar, but just carry the spare wheel. The carrier was designed never to touch the back wall of the MH as I think there would be some relative sideways movement of the Hab wall and the chassis.

First off I made a 2 dimensional space model of the diameter of the wheel (bought from scrap yard to get the rim, so disregard the state of the tyre in the photos, new one will be bought) and stood it on the back of the MH to see if it would fit.

View attachment 205529

So it was a goer. I then bolted together some 3mm wall 75mm x 50mm section to 5mm x 50mm x 50mm angle, attached the 3mm wall 50mm x 25mm uprights and got them professionally welded (I'm OK with tacking stuff, but needed these joints to be perfect).

This then slid into the chassis rails.

View attachment 205530

View attachment 205534

I then made a small plate out of 3mm thick and had the mounting spigot and bolts welded on. This is removable as the back of our MH is literally an inch from the gate and people pass close by, no chance of leaving the spare wheel on so might as well take the mounting plate off as well (more on this bit later).

View attachment 205532

And with a wheel on.

View attachment 205535

View attachment 205536

After getting it all powder coated.

View attachment 205537

Into position

View attachment 205538

And finished

View attachment 205539

Well not quite finished !! I'm thinking of dropping the upright heights by about 2" as even at the present height to lift the wheel to just about chin height it not easy, (tho I'm guessing it's a lot easier than trying to haul it out from an under chassis mounting), so 2" lower might be a lot better.

I'm also thinking of adding a third upright to the right of the present two, by using the idea of the removable bit which the wheel hangs on, I could make a removable bits which carries say two jerry cans or a large extra luggage box. The MH might get re-named as Thunderbird 2 !!

It was a fiddly job to get all the measurements correct, but a stroke of luck was that there is exactly 25mm space behind the number plate recess to take the 25mm thick upright metals !!

Grad

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 510
Exp
3 years
Hi. Just purchasing a 510 and your soultion looks great. Do you know if a Fiamma cycle rack still has sufficient clearance ?
Regards Steve

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Hi. Just purchasing a 510 and your soultion looks great. Do you know if a Fiamma cycle rack still has sufficient clearance ?
Regards Steve

If I was putting a bike rack on the back now, I'd have to adapt it, by making the side over the spare wheel a bit higher, so therefore the bike would be tilted up over the spare wheel. I have considered it and think it would be a simple job and still have all of the strength of the bike rack.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Regards Steve
We have a 510 and carry a spare tyre in the shower. It actually lies flat on duck boards or you can carry it upright with a big wedge. Out side is best of course , but bikes on the rack.

Grad

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 510
Exp
3 years
Hi.
Thanks very much for that information. Is your spare wheel a 15 or 16" version ? I had wondered if one might fit in the shower , particularly for trips abroad.
I plan to make a version of Sandancer's wheel carrier mounting system that will also incorporate a bike carrier and spare wheel carrier .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi.
Thanks very much for that information. Is your spare wheel a 15 or 16" version ? I had wondered if one might fit in the shower , particularly for trips abroad.
I plan to make a version of Sandancer's wheel carrier mounting system that will also incorporate a bike carrier and spare wheel carrier .
Be careful of putting it in the shower, the weight of the wheel and the person lugging it in there may be too much for the tray. Also if you do put a complete spare wheel with tyre in there let some of the air out so it can't warm up/pressurise and blow up ... a woman died when, after a problem with a tyre on a car, they replaced it with their spare and rather than put the original in the boot she had it on her lap/in front of her and due to the change in temperature/pressure it exploded and killed her.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Hi.
It’s a 16 inch tyre only, no actual wheel.
it just squeezes in the shower when layed flat, we have duck boards so weight is spread a bit.
carrying verticly also on duck boards , at the edge.
all seems ok re the plastic shower tray.
carry dogs food wine dirty clothes bag and probably 10litres of water on top of tyre.
As said all seems ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back