Spare Wheel in Garage (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Nott on a motorway as you have to leave the vehicle
I thought the forum was supposed to be a bit light hearted, of course not im not a plonker

Tyres do deflate and occasionally go pop but its not every week month or year so am I bothered about having a spare nope, with TPMS you normally get a warning if there is a problem, slowdown go to the nearest exit or if your lucky the nearest petrol station/supermarket.

If your in tune with your vehicle you can also feel when a tyre has insufficient pressure, on one spirited drive, the back stepped out on a new second hand car, the Garage said it was because I wasn't used to 'wide tyres' yea right so went to a Tyre shop to have the tyres checked turns out they were not run flats and the side walls were 'softer' than the suspension set up was designed for......new set of tyres and handling was fine except for a shimmy at certain speeds it took three trips to the workshop for the guys to find a broken spring. When the dynamics of a vehicle are not right there is always an issue so start tuned to the vehicle your driving :cool::nod:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
If not carrying a spare wheel, and you rely on a recovery service to get you going again, make sure you read terms and conditions carefully....many recovery schemes now specify you must carry a spare wheel suitable for the vehicle or they will not cover you for puncture/tyre repair etc.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We don't carry a spar wheel, if manufactures do not supply them why should I carry one ?, these things are commercial vehicles and the breakdown truck can come along and change my wheel thank you :cool: (y)

They can't change your wheel if you don't have one. How sure are you that every breakdown van in the country has precisely your size of tyre? At 2am? On a bank holiday? In France with exactly the same brand, not even sold in France?

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Depends on which model you have on order.

We don't carry one. The payload on my 886f wasn't great, first time out we were 100kg over the 3500kg in normal travelling condition so had to uprate it to 3700kg. How much does a spare wheel and tyre weigh?

Other point is there's no way I would even attempt to jack the MH up and change the wheel on my own, i'll call out the breakdown/tyre people. I've even taken the jack out as the pro's will bring their own.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
I thought it was a Comfort Insurance breakdown requirement to carry a spare ?

It would appears so

1602096629588.png

Carrying a spare is not a requirement it just not covered if you don't

OP
OP
C33JAY

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
Depends on which model you have on order.

We don't carry one. The payload on my 886f wasn't great, first time out we were 100kg over the 3500kg in normal travelling condition so had to uprate it to 3700kg. How much does a spare wheel and tyre weigh?

Other point is there's no way I would even attempt to jack the MH up and change the wheel on my own, i'll call out the breakdown/tyre people. I've even taken the jack out as the pro's will bring their own.

The Motorhome we are going to look at when it arrives in November is an 896F which is 3650kg and according to an earlier post a spare weighs in at 27kg, or lighter if you just carry just a tyre which is a tempting proposition, I dont think I would attempt a change on the roadside especially a Motorway but im sure its useful if you carry the right spare on board for when a Recovery vehicle arrives on scene.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Nott on a motorway as you have to leave the vehicle
I agree that safety considerations mean that that is the case. However that advice has to be tempered by other considerations. In my case exiting the vehicle with my wife, both of us in full weather gear, and our three dogs similarly attired through the difficult to access passenger side door for us all to stand on the motorway side of a steel barrier in the potentially cold and wet weather. To wait for how long?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I agree that safety considerations mean that that is the case. However that advice has to be tempered by other considerations. In my case exiting the vehicle with my wife, both of us in full weather gear, and our three dogs similarly attired through the difficult to access passenger side door for us all to stand on the motorway side of a steel barrier in the potentially cold and wet weather. To wait for how long?

The half-life of a vehicle on the hard shoulder before being smashed by a 38 tonne truck driven by an asleep driver is 24 hours. Do you feel lucky?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My motorhome was supplied to its first owner with a bottle of goo, a decent bottle jack, and a 12v compressor. He bought a spare and put it in the fairly substantial garage. I didn't much like the amount of space it occupied and the difficulty in moving it. Although it is more than 20 years since I had a puncture at the roadside I decided to keep it. It lives underneath now lifted and lowered by an electric winch comprising a motor / gear unit attached to a Nissan Navarro manual hoist. A stainless safety chain is secondary security against winch cable failure. It can be accessed from behind the nearside rear wheel without going any further under than is necessary to position the jack. Winch control is from the garage. But I'll never need it anyway :LOL:.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The half-life of a vehicle on the hard shoulder before being smashed by a 38 tonne truck driven by an asleep driver is 24 hours. Do you feel lucky?
No I don't feel any luckier or smarter than the next man and under most circumstances I'd leave the vehicle. But whoever designed the hard shoulder to allow vehicles to stop in an emergency did a very poor job. and the advice to leave the vehicle could be, especially in this country in Winter, be almost as dangerous for a family with young children. Or an elderly couple with dogs.

The technology to dramatically improve hard shoulder safety has been around for a very long time. It isn't even expensive compared with the overall cost of making the motorways smarter death-traps. But until safety organisations take the problem seriously and stop parroting the official advice nothing will change. Off the top of my head: automatic orange flashing cats-eyes preceding the broken down vehicle for 200 metres followed by lane closed chevrons angled off the nearside barriers followed after 15 minutes by automatic nearside running lane closure 300 metres before the cats eyes. All from the data cables already running the length of the motorway. Backed up by draconian penalties for either crossing into the hard shoulder when running alongside or for misuse of the hard shoulder.

OP
OP
C33JAY

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp

Back in July I was broken down on the M5 Hard shoulder and left there for 7 x Hours in my Motorhome with my Wife and Two dogs, after this horrible experience I wrote letters of complaint to both Fiat Camper Assist and the Highways Agency about the poor response to recovering me and more importantly that the Hardshoulder is not fit for purpose, e.g Too narrow / No Armco barrier to stand behind for Miles / Steep hill Immediatley behind Hardshoulder so god help anyone with mobility issues i.e ME ..... So I stayed in my Motorhome against all advice and would do it again if i found myself in the same situation, It was bloody Scary :cry:

Anyway slightly off subject about Spare wheel storage lol :ROFLMAO: Thanks to all those that have shared what they do or plan to do regarding carrying a spare (y)(y)

Rgds CJ

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Reference people carrying a spare tyre without a wheel, are you expecting the recovery truck to fit it for you?

This summer in France I had a puncture and the vehicle had to be recovered to a garage for the tyre to be replaced at the convenience of the garage... When all was said and done I'd lost an entire day.

Maybe people carrying tyres are ok with that or are payload challenged, but I'm leaning towards a full wheel/tyre.

OP
OP
C33JAY

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Reference people carrying a spare tyre without a wheel, are you expecting the recovery truck to fit it for you?

This summer in France I had a puncture and the vehicle had to be recovered to a garage for the tyre to be replaced at the convenience of the garage... When all was said and done I'd lost an entire day.

Maybe people carrying tyres are ok with that or are payload challenged, but I'm leaning towards a full wheel/tyre.

I been thinking this over quite a bit :unsure: I think carrying just the Tyre option obviously saves in weight but also the fact you have the correct Brand / Tyre on board (Might be none available) for said garage to put on your wheel is a good thing, but youve still got to be recovered to the Garage.

So my original thoughts were Tyre only but the more I think about it the more I think its better to carry a full spare on a wheel so it can be replaced on the roadside by the Recovery or yourself if your up to it, and then your on your merry way (y)

Rgds CJ

OP
OP
C33JAY

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
So I understand the weight of a Full spare is approx 27KG.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We have a spare wheel in the garage if the Rapido A Class. I have upgraded the suspension to 4 tonne so we have payload. I have 8mm ply covering the GRP floor and have fixed wedges to that to stop the wheel sliding about. I also have ply panels over the wheel ( there is a ledge around the lower part of the garage ) to create a floor above the wheel for other stuff. Leaves space under the floor with the wheel for smaller things

OP
OP
C33JAY

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
We have a spare wheel in the garage if the Rapido A Class. I have upgraded the suspension to 4 tonne so we have payload. I have 8mm ply covering the GRP floor and have fixed wedges to that to stop the wheel sliding about. I also have ply panels over the wheel ( there is a ledge around the lower part of the garage ) to create a floor above the wheel for other stuff. Leaves space under the floor with the wheel for smaller things

Thanks for this sounds good dont suppose you have any photos of this set up ? :unsure:

OP
OP
C33JAY

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp

I found the photos (y) What a Great and simple idea I will have to copy you if we purchase the Rapido (y):cool:

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I carry a full spare and the supplied goop.

It is heavy and I don’t have much spare payload, however a mate in a France spent a very long three days on a garage forecourt when his tyre was wrecked on debris in the road. Typically on a Friday afternoon in August.

I would have been on my way in 10 minutes.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I found the photos (y) What a Great and simple idea I will have to copy you if we purchase the Rapido (y):cool:
Here are the photos

Did I post those photos? I didn’t remember! I subsequently improved it by adding more ply under the wheel with small pieces of wood fixed to it to stop it sliding about. Of course this set up does mean emptying the garage if you need the spare wheel!

Last edited:

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Those that have got spare wheels attached under the vehicle, how often do you check that the winch is servicable? Tried ours in May this year because we were heading to the western isles and I didn't want any problems if I needed to change a wheel.

It jammed half way down as the mechanism was well and truly rusted. We would have been stuffed if it has happened on holiday as there was often no phone signal on the islands.

New one works a treat, at the moment :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back