Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
What a phaff! Fitted a sprare wheel carrier, purchased new steel wheel and just had new tyre fitted. Went to fit.

Just to set the scene, our drive has just been jet hosed and resealed so is very clean. I could comfortably crawl around on it. OK it was the first time of trying, but what a phaff this will be if ever needed, when the road is mucky, it's raining and dark! Definitely a job for an experienced recovery person.(y)

I'd suggest if you haven't tried removing and replacing the spare wheel, you give it a try. Somewhere flat, clean and dry :)

Mick

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I assume you've got the standard 'winch up the wire' spare wheel carrier? If I let the wire all the way out, it's not too hard to get the wheel off the lift point as it's reachable from the rear of the vehicle, but I've only got a shorty. If you've got a longer van, does the spare wheel sit still right up against the rear bumper? Regardless, getting a wheel back on the lifter and back up again is quite a faff though. I agree that if you do ever have to use it in anger, you're going to need a change of cloths afterwards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I believe the official instructions say wind all the cable out then you should be able to use the handle to pull the wheel out to the side of the van.

There are two considerations to this though - it's the (UK) offside so maybe in the road. If it's the rear offside tyre that's flat there may not be enough room until that corner is raised.

Personally I've never had to do it (the wheel and mechanism gets checked at the annual service) so unless it is absolutely safe to do so and the callout time is excessive, I'll let the breakdown service deal with it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i had a puncture in my 4x4 a few months back. that brought me down with a shock, realising that hauling out a 30kg tyre from under a vehicle at the roadside is now realistically beyond me now

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
When I first met my OH she proudly announced that she could check the fluids under any bonnet, fill the tyres with air unassisted, I then smugly asked her if she could change a wheel if she ever got a puncture?, to which she yes, I did it once on my Mini.
So if we are ever unfortunate enough to have a puncture on our travels, then I will sit back and say....OK love, nows your chance, its not a mini but the theory is just the same, and the nice new clean spare wheel is in the garage, so dont make a mess in there getting it out! :D:reel::imoutahere:
Les

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
When I first met my OH she proudly announced that she could check the fluids under any bonnet, fill the tyres with air unassisted, I then smugly asked her if she could change a wheel if she ever got a puncture?, to which she yes, I did it once on my Mini.
So if we are ever unfortunate enough to have a puncture on our travels, then I will sit back and say....OK love, nows your chance, its not a mini but the theory is just the same, and the nice new clean spare wheel is in the garage, so dont make a mess in there getting it out! :D:reel::imoutahere:
Les
Almost worth letting a tyre down to see said OH in action. Please send us the video.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Spare wheel lives in the garage. I could change it, but OH? No chance.
Apparently it's a blue job anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back