Spare wheel, could you get it out ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Very soon after purchasing our motorhome I wanted to make sure that I could remove the spare wheel.
Good job I was at home at the time and not on the roadside as the wheel support cradle retaining nut was rusted solid.
Due to poor design water collects inside the tubular plastic/steel wing nut and after less than 3 years and only 6000 miles the nut was rusted and seized solid, the only way to get get the nut off involved a hammer and chisel.
A new nut packed full of grease is probably all you need but it's best to find this out before the spare is needed.
I sorted the rust and repainted the wheel before refitting.

This is an item that's very unlikely to be checked on any service but certainly important general maintenance, the hard shoulder is not a nice place to be stranded !

181.JPG 182.JPG 179.JPG 184.JPG 186.JPG 187.JPG

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Strangely enough I had that thought last week and I've arranged to go to my local tyre fitters and they're happy to deal with it and ensure that its easily accessible and obtainable.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
strange enough last month i wanted to make sure i could get our spare wheel out of our 2007 Fiat Ducato and the problem i found was that the bar that you use to lower / raise the spare wheel was shite and stripped in no time at all , so i ended up using mole grips to re raise the wheel , however i never checked this bolt to see if it was rusted, looks like next dry day i have myself a little job :)
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Also check if your wheels actually come off. On purchase my rear twin wheels were well rusted together and needed major sledge hammer croon to free off.

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
strange enough last month i wanted to make sure i could get our spare wheel out of our 2007 Fiat Ducato and the problem i found was that the bar that you use to lower / raise the spare wheel was shite and stripped in no time at all , so i ended up using mole grips to re raise the wheel , however i never checked this bolt to see if it was rusted, looks like next dry day i have myself a little job :)
Thanks

It sounds likely that the plastic bodied gearbox or lift cable may be part seized, usually available new via eBay

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Also check if your wheels actually come off. On purchase my rear twin wheels were well rusted together and needed major sledge hammer croon to free off.
Very true,remove all wheels clean and copper slip all faces.This was a job I asked VW Glasgow to do before we set off on a long tour,did they do it,no they didn't. We had major vibration through the steering due to corrosion between the flange and wheel that I had to deal with 4 months after major abdominal surgery,on going back to the dealership they assured me they had cleaned and copperslipped the faces. :mad::mad:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Easy peasy Ours lives under the bonnet. (y)

juppy_engine_bay_cleaned_up.jpg

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So true , done that already due to previous similar problems.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Took mine out from under and installed it in the underbed locker. As it was it would have been a nightmare to even check the tyre pressure, let alone drag the dammed thing out from under.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Ours lives in its own locker under the bed, but accessed through an outside drop down door.

I got it out easily, by just pulling, but needed help to lift it up and put it back in. :whistle::blush:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
took the spare wheel on our 2007 Bessacarr E560 down again today to check this Nut and mine was fine the spare wheel is rusted a bit but the nut that is on the cradle mechanism was fine , I'd guess it is MH dependant as to where the dirt from the road gathers on the underneath of the MH.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Thanks
@Bart if your ducato is a pvc and the winding point is still at the rear there was a recal by fiats to fit new carrier where the winding point is moved to under the offside wheel arch i would assume you can still get this done as it was a safety recal some of the spares had dropped off whilst travelling had mine done a few years ago

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Something to be said for mounting of the spare wheel on our Mohican (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I had just said to Mrs Maison that I would have to check the spare this weekend, before heading back to France for the summer.

A timely reminder. Thanks!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Bart if your ducato is a pvc and the winding point is still at the rear there was a recal by fiats to fit new carrier where the winding point is moved to under the offside wheel arch i would assume you can still get this done as it was a safety recal some of the spares had dropped off whilst travelling had mine done a few years ago
Thanks for the info , ours is a Bessacarr E560

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back