spare wheel and tyre (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2016
Farnham surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79_4. Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi to everyone, we have just aquired our 2019 Bailey 79-4 from Elite Motorhomes in Banbury, all good so far , just wondering about the puncture situation if it occurs, it is advisable to carry a spare wheel & tyre or some sort of repair kit?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Im not wishing to dampen anyone’s parade here, I had one of the wind down spare wheel carriers on my last moho (British Elddis, no Garage) and I would advise anyone who is going to change it by the roadside to do a few trial runs of getting it out and putting it back, although it’s the better Option than NOT having a spare i found it to be a proper PIA and not that easy to do, and that was on my drive in sunny weather, imagine it tanking it down in the dark trying to do it?? For all those who will get a man to do it, take no notice of the above😁😁

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Happy todo it myself, but if it’s at the side of the road and too dangerous, I’ll call out recovery.

At least I’ll have a spare for them to put on. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Pete@Val

Free Member
Jun 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class Frankia
Exp
Since 2015
Hi to everyone, we have just aquired our 2019 Bailey 79-4 from Elite Motorhomes in Banbury, all good so far , just wondering about the puncture situation if it occurs, it is advisable to carry a spare wheel & tyre or some sort of repair kit?

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi there. Our Liaka 2018 had no spare. I bought a tyre (no wheel) so if we need to call out a tyre repair guy or lass, they have the right tyre to change.
I will track down a wheel in time.
we did have a puncture in Belgium a few years ago. We had a Kontiki and I did not fancy jacking it up on the side if the motorway so called out recovery. The guy changed the wheel. We went to Luxembourg on the Sunday night and parked up. In the morning I asked a bus driver for directions to a tyre place. He drew a map on the side of his bus with a marker. I took a picture and we went on our way. Cool

Upvote 0

Pete@Val

Free Member
Jun 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class Frankia
Exp
Since 2015
Please do yourself a favour. Carry a spare tyre. Had same issue with our Frankia. Had a puncture repair kit in case. First outing - puncture due to a screw embedded in side wall. Recovery man warned us if you use the kit and you will have to replace the tyre . He temporary repaired the tyre but the following day we had to buy a new tyre safety issues . Delay because we had to find a service tyre depot due to Covid. Had to wait for tyre to arrive . The cost whilst on holiday . Extra night at the site. If only we had a spare tyre we thought .

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I bought a carrier from Alko specifically for my Bailey 79-4T and got a local MH dealers workshop to fit it for me - Marques at Tewkesbury. They quoted about an hours labour but took them nearly 2. I watched from a distance and it appeared to involve quote a bit of effort to fit even with the vehicle up on a ramp although the mechanic did appear to refer to some included instruction.
I brought an Alko 794 carrier it slots in to the chassis in 5 minutes so what did they do ?

Upvote 0

Len Amey

Free Member
Jan 19, 2015
Hants
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
I have sent you a PM as I have a spare 'spare' :unsure: in the shed.

Upvote 0

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK2000
Exp
3 years on a STEEP learning curve
Coming past bristol on m5 southbound and the van developed a shake. Woke the missus so it must have been bad. Pulled into services and drove round in circles till we had it figured out. Passengers rear tyre had a massive egg shaped lump in the driving surface, which promptly blew out as I started to jack the van up. An aerosol full of gunk would not be much use in this situation. Spare wheel everyone.

Upvote 0

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Just call out a repair outfit. Plenty of them these days, easy to find one if you have a smart phone, google for one. Cost £50 to £90 and just sit back, relax, and watch someone else do the hard work. Most will ask you for your tyre size and bring along a tyre just in case.
ezee

Upvote 0

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK2000
Exp
3 years on a STEEP learning curve
Im not wishing to dampen anyone’s parade here, I had one of the wind down spare wheel carriers on my last moho (British Elddis, no Garage) and I would advise anyone who is going to change it by the roadside to do a few trial runs of getting it out and putting it back, although it’s the better Option than NOT having a spare i found it to be a proper PIA and not that easy to do, and that was on my drive in sunny weather, imagine it tanking it down in the dark trying to do it?? For all those who will get a man to do it, take no notice of the above😁😁
Been there done that. Just make sure you put back the right way up or the first speed bump will definitely be a bump. (Been there and done that as well).☹️

Upvote 0

josephR

Free Member
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
burstner 590 lyseo
Exp
since 1978 on and off

Upvote 0

josephR

Free Member
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
burstner 590 lyseo
Exp
since 1978 on and off
A8E68A52-A697-402C-99C8-DD474D055631.jpeg

Upvote 0

josephR

Free Member
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
burstner 590 lyseo
Exp
since 1978 on and off
Sorry having trouble replying on this thread
this is my rear tyfe
blew out on A12 last week
my new van hadn’t done more than 3000 miles
lucky AA could take me to garage for new tyre
will definitely be carrying Spare from now on

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Sorry having trouble replying on this thread
this is my rear tyfe
blew out on A12 last week
my new van hadn’t done more than 3000 miles
lucky AA could take me to garage for new tyre
will definitely be carrying Spare from now on

That’s some damage to the tyre.

You’ll need to subscribe to be able to post anymore........it’s well worth it.(y)

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I've had a flat (on an Italian ferry waiting to disembark) where the valve had been broken, probably when the staff had put a chain on. Without a spare we would have been stuck. Also learned that I struggled to loosen the wheel nuts with the standard wheel brace until a trucker helped out with an extention bar for the brace. I've now got a 5 ton bottle jack and an extendable wheel brace which have both been used since on a puncture in Spain (tyre was unrepairable due to the size of the hole in the tread) as the recovery truck had crap equipment! Plus the bodywork design over the rear tyre on my Swift is ridiculously bad, needs jacking up very high to get the wheel off, garages always have problems changing the rear tyres on it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Nov 6, 2016
Farnham surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79_4. Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I bought a carrier from Alko specifically for my Bailey 79-4T and got a local MH dealers workshop to fit it for me - Marques at Tewkesbury. They quoted about an hours labour but took them nearly 2. I watched from a distance and it appeared to involve quote a bit of effort to fit even with the vehicle up on a ramp although the mechanic did appear to refer to some included instruction.
Morning kev & Ju, would you mind telling me the cost of the carrier, Thanks

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Finally got around to fitting the carrier and spare tyre.

I weighed them first, Carrier 3kgs, wheel and tyre 23kgs.

If you get your wheel and tyre from the eBay supplier, with the link on here, be aware that the tyres are C not CP. It’s a winter tyre fitted with a rubber valve, therefore only good enough for 65psi.

Fine to get you out of trouble.

Many thanks 10tenmen for your help. (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back