Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Did you have to buy different Stud`s/Nut`s... ?

As I all way`s thought Alloy wheels were thicker and you could not use the same stud`s/Nut`s..

That is what has put me off getting a steel wheel for the spare..
Mo if you are having trouble with your nuts you need to see the doctor:LOL:
Brian

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
If you don’t want to carry a spare it may be a good idea to have breakdown cover.

Ray
Or, as I pointed out above, in the UK call out the RAC , the non member charge is £30.
ezee

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Hi just a quick question , do you carrier a spare and if not what do you use if you have a flat?

Just done some work on the van and there is no room under the van now for the spare ( before you had to unbolt the spare with 13 mm nuts and bolts lay on your back and lower it down ) Not sure I could change it anyway as its a twin wheel transit and they are not easy to get the wheels off of the back even when we'll lubricated.

It won't fot under the seats and the garage is small and full as well , was thinking of buying some Slime puncture sealant .

Thoughts?

Matt
I had a blow out on the Italian French border couple of years ago and the tyre was shredded. Had to call out recovery who changed for me. We had just come through the Alps and were 10 minutes on from the end of the hill when this happened. see pic of whats left of the tyre !!!!
IMG_20130915_151137.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Most blowouts are as a result of a tyre overheating due to low pressure. If you don't carry a spare and rely on reinflation devices, as I do, then Tyrepal is a worthwhile investment. When the tyre starts losing air due to a puncture, hopefully you have time to stop before the tyre overheats and blows out.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
I said in an earlier post that I had over the past 12 years had 3 blow outs, none of them was through low pressure.

The van had just been serviced by my usual Fiat garage and I had done 4 miles when the beading on a fairly new tyre blew out, Michelin replaced that one free. The van was empty and well within weight.

The next two were in France on the same day, again the sidewall blew out just after coming out of an aire, I bought a new tyre in Allancon, not a Michelin as the Michelin garage said it would be 10 days minimum to get one but a small tyre depot in Allencon.
After leaving that tyre depot where he had checked all tyres and pressures I went 5 miles and another blew so back to the same depot for another new one.

All the tyres were Michelin Camper, low mileage on them and correct pressure as per book the van was within weight limits
I have since changed to Vanco Continental Camping Tyres and taken my tyre loading up from 113 to 116 and so far everything has been ok.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well I'm sure someone on here was selling a tyre pal set.... This thread underlines how effective they can be as a simple method of helping prevent blow outs occurring ..
I have never had a blow out in the last 35 years.. I'm sure I've been lucky which is why I now use tyre pal.
(tyres should always be physically checked still though)

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We upped our load rating on the new tyres for the Mercedes, and also went up on the tread width from 215 to 225. The load ratings give us 2.5 tonnes on the front axle (116/118R tyre rating) and 5.8 tonnes on the rear (4 X 121 tyre rating) the plated weights are 2.3 and 4.3 tonnes respectively.

We have a brand new set of commercial tyres fitted plus a new spare plus a new spare tyre only.

We carry two spares for the 6-wheel trailer and if we are into Europe we may take a spare tyre for the Discovery as well as the regular spare. I am thinking of fitting a new set on the Discovery before we go next week, they are already in the stores on rims waiting to be fitted. I've got a fair tread depth left on the old set but we will be doing 2000+ miles and towing all the time, sometimes at maximum 3500kg trailer weight, so might be a bit marginal at the end of the trip.

Repair goo often makes the tyre unusable, so think on that before you set out.

Peter

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
After a lot of thought I think we do need spare wheel and tyre..... any idea where to get one?

I'll phone the local garage who does the car servicing for advice, perhaps one of his contacts will have a wheel.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
After a lot of thought I think we do need spare wheel and tyre..... any idea where to get one?

I'll phone the local garage who does the car servicing for advice, perhaps one of his contacts will have a wheel.
plenty on ebay

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Don’t think a can of goo would fix this, glad I had a spare, pity I didn’t have a jack that worked f**@: on the A131 out of le Havrecost ) €150 for breakdown as breakdown cover is f******* useless on any A road in France

Attachments

• Photo1388.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've just got a loan 'hire' car whilst our Ypsilon is poorly in the garage having to have a new battery and starter motor ... 3,000 miles and 2 years old!

Anyway, the lady at the hire car company gave us a 'tour' of the Vauxhall Corsa we've been loaned and pointed out the 'goo' tyre fix kit but said please do NOT use it if we have a puncture and instead call out the recovery services as the goo makes the tyres unfixable!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back