tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
I know that there are old threads on spare wheel v spare tyre but none of them cover the exact use of a spare tyre in the event of a puncture and breakdown service attendance. Do breakdown crews change or organize tyre change onto wheel or is it just in case a tyre is shredded. It may be obvious but I'd like to know the thinking behind it
Ta
Tk

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I asked AA before joining, and their advice was to explain when requesting service that we had no spare tyre and to request that the attending patrol had the puncture gunk. The AA Operator said that the 'no spare wheel supplied' is now the norm. Possibly small comfort if the tyre is damaged beyond repair outside opening hours and the AA recovers you to the local tyrefitters and then departs with the cheery corporate wave 'goodbye' ...

Steve

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Knowing my luck that would be us camped outside the tyre fitters shop until the morning then .... I've invested in a spare alloy and black boot which gives me total comfort knowing I can sort out a puncture/shredding where ever I happen to be. Hoping I never have to use it, but it's there if I do!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Knowing my luck that would be us camped outside the tyre fitters shop until the morning then .... I've invested in a spare alloy and black boot which gives me total comfort knowing I can sort out a puncture/shredding where ever I happen to be. Hoping I never have to use it, but it's there if I do!
We were pootling around Dumfries & Galloway over the last 2 weeks and I counted at least 3 vans/motorhomes with rear tyre blowouts that had shredded the rubber and ruined the wheel. There's a universal slumped shoulders, hands thrust in pockets stance of rejection as the driver stares back down the carriageway, expecting the Tyre Service to appear imminently, bit knowing that this is merely wishful thinking ...

Steve

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
We were pootling around Dumfries & Galloway over the last 2 weeks and I counted at least 3 vans/motorhomes with rear tyre blowouts that had shredded the rubber and ruined the wheel. There's a universal slumped shoulders, hands thrust in pockets stance of rejection as the driver stares back down the carriageway, expecting the Tyre Service to appear imminently, bit knowing that this is merely wishful thinking ...

Steve
I am not at all surprised at the number of vehicles with ruined tyres/wheels. Driving back from Lowestoft this last weekend, we were subjected to a shake, rattle and roll, potholed surface pretty much all the way over the fours of journeying. It might be a dead lump in the garage, eating up a bit of valuable payload, but I really don't want to be that person with his shoulders slumped, wife looking on ominously out of the cab window, knowing that someone is going to have the time of their life tucking me up to get me rolling again.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I have compromised, got tyre pal fitted, so hopefully will pick up early if I'm losing air and carry plugs and compressor to fix, if its not a 'bigun' my backup is carrying a spare tyre, not the wheel, I'm currently touring in Bosnia and hope I don't need either .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
I have compromised, got tyre pal fitted, so hopefully will pick up early if I'm losing air and carry plugs and compressor to fix, if its not a 'bigun' my backup is carrying a spare tyre, not the wheel, I'm currently touring in Bosnia and hope I don't need either .
It's all a lottery for each and every one of us, unfortunately. May the Gods of Motorhoming and Free Travelling smile down on you always. Good to have a backup plan in place though, can't hurt to be better prepared for the worst.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We were pootling around Dumfries & Galloway over the last 2 weeks and I counted at least 3 vans/motorhomes with rear tyre blowouts that had shredded the rubber and ruined the wheel.

I would almost guarantee that everyone was an ancient tyre well over ten years old.
These are not pumpture but catastrophic failure of the side walls

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I would almost guarantee that everyone was an ancient tyre well over ten years old.
These are not pumpture but catastrophic failure of the side walls
7 or 8 years old judging by the registrations; the bits of rubber were too small to stop and examine, but the ruined wheel rim did point to a blowout, rather than the pneumatic equivalent of a prolonged exhalation ... :LOL:

Having crossed from 1st lane to 3rd lane and back again on the M25 nearly 35 years ago, and managing to miss all the vehicles and the crash barriers with my 2 graceless 360 degree spins en route, I try to leave myself plenty of room and reaction time before pushing the tyres too hard!

Steve

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My 15in spare tyre is 13kg

Just tyre ot wheel? Maybe alloy?

I am with Sunlovers I carry a spare wheel and tre and was very glad of it when we had a blowout near Leipzig(Not old tyre). ADAC had us going again in 1 1/2 hours despite having to use two jacks on a steep camber.

We were on a quick 3 day run from S. Poland to Dunkirk to a booked ferry, so waiting for a tyre could have been very inconvenient.

Also some counties insist on identical tyres on same axle, so carrying the same one saves buying two.

Fortunately we have the payload to carry the wheel. I would hate to have to operate under 3.5t, fortunately I have a Polish licence so 5 years to renewal.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back