Spare Thetford Cassette (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ci Mizar Gtl
Exp
Hi, I would like to prepare my motorhome for times when we could be self sufficient for longer periods. Quite happy with the size of the water tank and no problem with the grey waste, have added an extra battery and inverter (will install solar asap). Just scratching my head at the moment as to the best way of carrying an extra cassette for the Thetford toilet. Would ideally like to design a way of descretly carrying it underneath. Has anyone got any clever solutions or designs they are willing to share? Thanks in advance as always!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fiamma make an underslung carrier not cheap about £100, doesn't look that easy to get a full cassette in & out of.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Notski
Oct 5, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ci Mizar Gtl
Exp
No problem carrying a clean empty one inside but as soon as the other is full and then have to swap them over wouldn't be happy having the full one inside. Will check on line for the Fiamma solution but am trying to keep the budget a bit lower for the moment, thinking someone may have come up with a low cost smart idea I could borrow(y), maybe a simple bracket using the original quick release/lock!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
No problem carrying a clean empty one inside but as soon as the other is full and then have to swap them over wouldn't be happy having the full one inside
On the VERY rare occsaion we have used the spare we carry it in a poly sack in the shower with no problem ... if well maintained there is no smell or leakage.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
We keep our spare cassette in a holdall in a belly locker . Not used very often but it is outside at least.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I rigged something up under a previous Chausson MH to carry a black waste container using an old plastic coated freezer basket (a strong one), some brackets, hooks, chain and a padlock ... it actually worked very well and could be adapted to carry a 'proper' cassette if needs be.

1a.jpg
1c.jpg
1f.jpg
1g.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My spare cassette lives in the back box on the bike rack (we don't carry bikes). I have only had to use it once though. If there was a full one it would go in the same place, in a plastic box in case of a leak though they are pretty leakproof.

OP
OP
Notski
Oct 5, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ci Mizar Gtl
Exp
I rigged something up under a previous Chausson MH to carry a black waste container using an old plastic coated freezer basket (a strong one), some brackets, hooks, chain and a padlock ... it actually worked very well and could be adapted to carry a 'proper' cassette if needs be.

Thanks, impressive design, has given me a few ideas, would like to try and come up with something that uses the original slide and click into place and release, using the yellow lock lever. Maybe I would be over complicating things!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are concerned about 'leaks and smells' get yourself a waterproof bag to put it in, something like the below ... it also means that if you need to empty it in a toilet block (cleanly of course) it's less obvious what you are carrying:

s-l1600.jpg

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Or alternatively, buy a motorhome with a 45gal black tank. Now, let me think, who has one of those ? :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks, impressive design, has given me a few ideas, would like to try and come up with something that uses the original slide and click into place and release, using the yellow lock lever. Maybe I would be over complicating things!
I'd be wary of using the existing slide/clip etc ... if it gets damaged you won't be able to use the cassette ... better to use something else to secure it within a box of some sort ideally to keep it clean and it would probably be easier to make as well. For example if you had some sort of crate/box like the below and cut off the end and made it hinged, then fixed the crate to the bottom of your MH you could slide the cassette in and then secure the flap ... you'd need to make sure the crate was strong enough and secured well enough to support the weight of a full cassette. Another alternative is some sort of rubbish bin with a lifting lid mounted horizontally in the same way ...

s-l1600.jpg

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
I carry our spare cassette in a locker between the floors in an old Sainsbury's blue shopping tray. I had to put about an inch of polystyrene in the bottom to raise it up so that it fitted perfectly. It is pre-charged with the correct amount of 'blue' for a quick swap over. (Why does the full light always seem to come on during the night or first thing in the morning!!!??)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That looks useful for a secret dump in a public WC, it van I found a storage crate that is a perfect fit.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our spare is wrapped in a very large polythene bag then put into one of those plastic folding crates in the garage. The crate is the perfect size for a tight fit but the emptying spout sticks up about an inch above. Still OK to stack other things on top though.

Richard.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Really useful boxes do a variety of sizes. There might be one suitable.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
May be oversimplifying things but could you not just carry a black 25 litre jerrycan and decant the cassette when its full?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
May be oversimplifying things but could you not just carry a black 25 litre jerrycan and decant the cassette when its full?
Great idea ...

... then you could empty it down the grey waste points on C&M club sites without the wardens realising until too late.:whistle:

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Our spare sits in a locker between the floors, accessible from the outside. Although this is a dedicated space for a spare cassette, I can't see any objection to carrying a full one in any locker or a garage. They don't leak when they're in use in the toilet, so why should they leak at any other time?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've got one of the Fiamma ones. Wouldn't buy one but it was already fitted when we bought the van.

Have actually only used it once. Quite difficult to get a full cassette into.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back