Spare numberplates - a tip (1 Viewer)

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We were driving down through France recently, and stopped at a supermarket just off the N10 north of Bordeaux. We were just getting ready to leave when a French motorhomer pointed out our front numberplate was missing. He reckoned we were very lucky not to have been stopped by the police.

How lucky, we thought, that there was a car accessory supermarket adjacent, just about to reopen after lunch. What we then found though is that acrylic plates in France are produced by computer, and the program only supported the French format, not the LL NNN LLL UK format (where L is letter, N is number.). So we then looked at metal plates, produced manually with dies. No luck there either - our registration includes a letter (U) which is never used in French registration numbers, apparently because of possible confusion with V - so the U die is not produced. We eventually managed to fabricate a pretty good approximation with the aid of sticky-backed plastic from a Bricomarche, white, black and clear for protection, using tissue paper to trace the outline from the rear plate. Not perfect but good enough to convince numberplate recognition cameras at site barriers!

Now maybe we were just very unlucky to lose the front plate (although the back plate fell off our last van , but fortunately on the drive.). But I’ll certainly be taking spare plates with us in future, and thought others might want to consider doing the same?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
A man was seen unscrewing a no. plate from my daughters car on camera in a multi storey hospital car park ,apparently they are used in drive offs from petrol stations . I fitted anti tamper screws after that episode .

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
For a spare I have a rear number plate made up as for a trailer then order a front vinyl adhesive of ebay then stick it on the reverse of the rear plate then I am only carrying one plate for front and rear. I do the same if I use a trailer with different vehicle's one rear number plate two different numbers.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Why don't you affix your plates with rivets like wot we have to. Unlikely to drop off and cannot be unscrewed. Unless riveted plates would be an MoT failure of course.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Why don't you affix your plates with rivets like wot we have to. Unlikely to drop off and cannot be unscrewed. Unless riveted plates would be an MoT failure of course.

Not that I have any need to, but, with the assistance of a cheap drill and 5mm drill bit, I reckon I could take riveted plates off a vehicle, undamaged, far, far quicker than plates that are screwed or properly taped on.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
@RedFrame - agree totally but that was not the OP's problem nor did I claim that my plates are thiefproof.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
The trouble with pop rivits he they are nearly all aluminum, if in fiberglass they sometimes split the fiberglass then work loose if in steel bodywork they become oxidized then fall of. So into steel you need cadmium coated rivits and on fiberglass you need the the security one's that cannot be removed without breaking them to little bits.
I actually cannot see why anyone would steal plates as you can get any plates of eBay any number as show plates cheep as chips.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back