Spare keys ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
When we travel the UK and Europe I am concerned as to what would happen if had our van keys lost or stolen. I put a spare set in a small sealed waterproof electrical box hidden in the chassis.
Does anyone have any ideas on this ?
Phil

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Sounds like a plan. (y)(y)

I hide our spares in the safe, then wear a spare hab door key around my neck when we are out. Saves hiding on the outside. (y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Some insurance companies (Comfort for one) insist that any spare key must not be left in the van unless it is in a secure locked safe. Otherwise they will not have to pay out a claim for burglary or theft of the van since the conditions of the contract of insurance have been breached.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I carry one set and my wife carries the spares. Same with bike lock keys. Only problem is remembering how to disable the alarm as the spare is not the electronic plip type - it just unlocks the door manually.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like a plan. (y)(y)

I hide our spares in the safe, then wear a spare hab door key around my neck when we are out. Saves hiding on the outside. (y)
Am i missing the point here......why not simply wear the spare key around your neck ?

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Am i missing the point here......why not simply wear the spare key around your neck ?
Because if like my van there's more than 1 key ...i have a habitation key which fits all the caravan bits a key for cab doors and a seperate key for ignition and petrol flap so 3 in total plus bike padlock key on keyring ....so carrying 1 habitation key is easier and saves looking like quasi modo :p

OP
OP
Gaston aires
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Our spare keys have 8 keys attached, for padlocks, motorbike etc, wear this round your neck and you.ll do a Quasimodo impression.
I guess I could leave them in the safe and just carry the zapper.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have always made a point of not leaving keys in vehicles as it may invalidate insurance. I have one set and SWMBO the other. Only problem is that often when we go out she doesn't want to take the spares (small or no handbag, no pockets) so I end up carrying both sets. They're a bit bulky as they have:

Hab key - fits all doors, lockers, water cap etc
Zapper for central locking/alarm
Ignition key (that odd infrared thing Mercedes have) much bulkier than an ordinary key.
Fuel cap key
Toad key

Better than some MHs I have had that have separate locks on Hab door and cab doors and different keys for each locker/cap. My old Kontiki seemed to need a dozen different keys.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
....... Only problem is that often when we go out she doesn't want to take the spares (small or no handbag, no pockets) so I end up carrying both sets. They're a bit bulky as they have:

I often face a similar situation :(

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I did hear tell that antique vans had only one key.....For the horses food locker. :);):imoutahere:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back