Spare keys (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Spare keys…. When out and about abroad I’ve always kept the spare keys in the safe, inside the van. :Doh: It wasn’t until I came across a couple with a MH who had her bag snatched which contained keys/cards etc. Without going in to detail they had to call a local locksmith (this is in Spain mind you) to gain access to the MH, he did this by eventually breaking the cab passenger side window :Eeek:
So, after this episode I put myself in their situation and thought, how I would get into my van with the keys (ignition and habitation door) locked inside the van, inside the safe :Doh::Doh:. Couldn’t do it without breaking a lock, window, or roof vent. Answer, simple, the hab key is now safely and discreetly hidden elsewhere on the exterior of vehicle with ignition key locked in safe.:thumb:
Yes I know I should have done this from day one but it is not a subject you would want to discuss on an open forum for obvious reasons, it was only when the situation was brought to my attention that I realised I’d got it wrong. Food for thought.
By the way, before you ask, the safe is on top of the dashboard next to the sat nav, laptop and smart phone :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just so long as its a proper key operated safe, not a tin box with a digital keypad. you can open one of those in seconds without tools:Eeek:

plenty of places under the chassis to cable tie a spare key to away from the opportunist thief's view

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for the prompt Traveller and Biggy. I've been thinking about a strong box for the van and considered the digital one but will go for the key type. Next problem is where to fit it ? I know I need to bolt it through the floor but I know if access to it is difficult, Then I probably won't use it :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
under a cab seat bolted through the steel floor is best for security rather than into wood, otherwise, try bolting into the rear travelling seat frame

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are you sure the lady didn't use the wrong phrase in the phrase book and accidentally call out a plumber or a fish monger or something. I only did ½ a years training as a lock smith and I could get into most vans in under 10 minutes! And that would be without breaking anything too!

For an extra £20 I think I paid, on my insurance, I have key cover. This covers the cost of calling a locksmith, replacing all locks and keys as may be required.

Now - you might wonder why I paid this considering my earlier boast about being able to get in to a motorhome. It's obvious isn't it? My tools are all in the van!!! :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are you sure the lady didn't use the wrong phrase in the phrase book and accidentally call out a plumber or a fish monger or something. I only did ½ a years training as a lock smith and I could get into most vans in under 10 minutes! And that would be without breaking anything too!

For an extra £20 I think I paid, on my insurance, I have key cover. This covers the cost of calling a locksmith, replacing all locks and keys as may be required.

Now - you might wonder why I paid this considering my earlier boast about being able to get in to a motorhome. It's obvious isn't it? My tools are all in the van!!! :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

agreed....slim jim, a wire coathanger or a length of plastic pallet tape will get you into most vehicles in a couple of minutes.

Maybe Manuel was a domestic locksmith. :Doh:

A couple of plastic 'locking' hab window handles would have been far cheaper than a cab door window.

OP
OP
Timetraveller
Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010

If memory serves me it was an American RV. Don't know if that makes any difference, or maybe she did call a fishmonger, we were near the coast :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back