Spanish Traffic Laws & Highway Robbery (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry. Laundry's done and so am I. I am commanded to lend a hand by her-in-van. You'll just have to play by yourself or it's back to the XBox I suppose. Watch yourself bullying pedestrians though, I may not be the only one whose developed the art of Bikeido. Bye.

Awww Shucks...

That was too easy.

Amazing how some folks never really read posts carefully. (Never mind not answering questions!)

Bullying pedestrians? I have never done that. Nor have I ever made a pedestrian move to avoid me.

Never mind...

I better just roll back over and into the pool.

Only one hour and twenty minutes left now before the next live match.

JJ :Cool:

PS... me and an XBox! Now that displays real ignorance! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
WOW !!!

Yes I had realised that from his use of large letters. It's OK, I was a teenager once myself. I'm just rather bored being stuck in a CP at the moment whilst her-in-van does the laundry. :cry:

As for the 56 posts (wow - has it been that many!), your point is well taken on the importance of quantity over quality..... :thumb:

Have I just had my wrist slapped ???:cry::cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't think it was aimed at you young Stephen although with some posts things are not always made that clear... especially if they are in small print!

When are you two coming over visiting again?

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Probably the best race in the World!!!!!

I live, drive and ride in Spain and have to put up with the [HI]lycra-clad hordes [/HI]of pedal-philes here year-round.

I'll give them 1.5 mtrs lateral clearance if they'll stop riding 2 or 3 abreast, in groups of 10 plus, chatting and completely ignoring the motorists sharing the roads with them. Their arrogance and ignorance has to be seen to be believed.

They clearly seem to enjoy 'special treatment' privileges, so allowing them to effectively close one lane by imposing a 1.5 mtr buffer zone when a pair of them command at least 2 mtrs of road already is just another step to granting them total control of the roads.

Personally, I think riding 2-abreast should be punishable by ramming.:Angry:

Wait until July !!! Le Tour !!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

It's a cycle traffic jam travelling at 40 mph !!!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
How about enforcing the Highway Code for cyclists?
Many of these muppets are so bloody arrogant in thinking that they should take priority over all other traffic.
I once saw one of these invincible pillocks try to force his way in front of a bus.
He lost.
I'm not an unsympathetic bloke, but my only sympathy was for the bus driver.
He has to live with the death of a pillock for the rest of his life.

"Think bike"?.....Cyclists should "Think Motor Vehicle".

"Many" does not mean all, nor indeed most cyclists...
Using your example of the "pillock" who lost (and got himself killed in the process), imagine if it had been a reversed situation and that any of the "many" vehicle drivers who drive like pillocks forced his/her way in front of a cyclist. Who would have been the loser? The pillock or the innocent cyclist?
Yes there are many irresponsible cyclists out there but a bicycle ridden stupidly, annoying as it is for us all, generally causes much less damage and hurt to others than does a vehicle driven badly.
True cyclists are NOT the problem.
Give us s-p-a-c-e on the roads. Don't squeeze by!
Good on the Spanish authorities for a very welcome law!!!

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Cyclists round my way are a pain in the arse, they cannot keep close to the kerb when it is obvious they are holding up a stream of traffic behind them.

On one road they could quite safely ride on the kerb out of the way, no pedestrians, cycling along a busy areterial feed road into town on a simple two lane road with a 40 mph limit when all they peddle at is 20mph is going to cause resentment.

In London the way they dodge around in multi lane traffic is horrifying, n wonder there are accidents

Peter

Pavements are for pedestrians.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
::bigsmile:Yep...

In an ever more uncertain world it is great to know that, never mind what, the topic of cyclists will always get Funsters going... :thumb:

Now then... tomorrow... generators or over nighting on motorway service stations?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Yes the truck has more rights........[HI]cos they play squash bette[/HI]r:ROFLMAO:

Well I thought it was funny::bigsmile:

Especially when the dickhead suicide squad decide it's safe to undertake one on the inside on their little pushbike.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
::bigsmile:Yep...

In an ever more uncertain world it is great to know that, never mind what, the topic of cyclists will always get Funsters going... :thumb:

Now then... tomorrow... generators or over nighting on motorway service stations?

What about the legality or not of A frames, haven't seen a big ole 20 page argument about that for ages. :winky:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Nonsense!
How would the rule be applied to cyclists in keeping 1.5m away from everything they pass?

Other cyclists?
Red lights?
Riding across zebra crossing?
Overtaking on the inside?
Riding through pedestrianized areas?
Ignoring the presence of other traffic (they are invincible)?
Ignoring warnings from road signs and motorists (arrogant pillocks)?

I would suggest that a great many cyclists are more of a danger to the fee paying (hold that thought) motorist than vice versa.
[HI] I pay dearly to use the roads, cyclists don't pay a bean.
That alone gives ME priority[/HI].

Don't go on about what they pay for their cars, etc. we are talking about bikes.

I'm ignoring the list of things that cyclists do wrong because we know that all cyclists do those things and car / van / lorry drivers never do them because they are perfect.

Cyclists do pay for roads - like everyone else, via the local and national tax schemes. What you have paid for is Vehicle Excise Duty and it would seem that you are paying a lot because your vehicle emits high pollution levels. The fact that you pay the VED does not give you priority over anyone.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Nonsense!
[HI] I would suggest that a great many cyclists are more of a danger to the fee paying (hold that thought) motorist than vice versa.[/HI]

Sorry for cutting it out of the rest of your post but is sentence alone makes me wonder what planet you are referring to because here, on planet Earth, FAR more cyclists are killed, injured or seriously injured by motorists than the other way around.

Broken Link Removed

Do you have any examples supporting your statement or are you just trolling?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I think you have entered that own agenda tunnel again John.
Here is my post again.......take a deep breath and have another read. I have painted it blue to save any more confusion:Confused:

Drivers should ensure 1.5 metres of lateral spacing when passing a bike, allowing cycles to occupy part or all of adjacent or opposite lanes, and ensuring that vehicles involved in overtaking moves must not jeopardise or hinder the progress of cyclist moving in the opposite direction.

Agree with this proposal or not.......simples:Cool:

I don't need it painted blue or any other colour to understand.
Patronising prat.
If you don't want debate and opinion, why ask in the first place?
If it's a straight agree or not, why not simply ask?
Disagree.
"Simples".

Sorry for cutting it out of the rest of your post but is sentence alone makes me wonder what planet you are referring to because here, on planet Earth, FAR more cyclists are killed, injured or seriously injured by motorists than the other way around.

Broken Link Removed

Do you have any examples supporting your statement or are you just trolling?

I am referring to planet Earth. Look around you.
Examples?
By that do you mean references from Google because I'm incapable of relating what I see?
I see far more bad road behaviour which endangers themselves from cyclists than I do from motorists.
I can only speak as I find.

I find your reference to my being a troll offensive.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
WOW!

What an active thread! I have taken in all the views and there is some truth in many of the arguments . We are having to travel all the way to France ,Austria and Germany to enjoy lovely traffic free cycling on the excellent Voie Vertes and Radvegs . We have just cycled to the center of Vienna in dedicated Cyclepath the Donau Radveg which has been a most enjoyable experience . The only hazard on the cyclepaths here are what we call the" Lycra louts " who zoom past at great speeds without warning and often ride side by side taking little notice of poor old me coming the other way being pushed into the nettles by the roadside because of their conversation is more important ! Otherwise I have enjoyed this trip greatly but would not take my life into my hands cycling on the UK roads which are at times too narrow to accommodate cars let alone cyclists . I wish the Uk had more good traffic free Cycle paths but until such time we will have to head to Europe .

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I am referring to planet Earth. Look around you.
Examples?
By that do you mean references from Google because I'm incapable of relating what I see?
I see far more bad road behaviour which endangers themselves from cyclists than I do from motorists.
I can only speak as I find.

I find your reference to my being a troll offensive.

You stated: "I would suggest that a great many cyclists are more of a danger to the fee paying (hold that thought) motorist than vice versa."

I referred to you as a troll because I cannot see any reason why someone would state that cyclists are more of a danger to motorists.

I referred to you as a troll because I cannot see any reason why someone would state that cyclists are more of a danger to motorists that as cyclists have caused more deaths and injuries to motorists than the other way around. I have yet to read or see of any examples of this; you may have but if there are so many examples of this, surely they would appear on Google.

I have, however, seen numerous reports of cyclists being killed or injured by motorists. I also have first hand experience of both - I was knocked off by an idiot car driver who cut across in front of me as they turned right but I was lucky - my bruises and cuts healed quickly. My friend was not lucky and has a family grieving for him.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
You stated: "I would suggest that [HI]a great many [/HI]cyclists are more of a danger to the fee paying (hold that thought) motorist than vice versa."

I referred to you as a troll because I cannot see any reason why someone would state that cyclists are more of a danger to motorists.

I referred to you as a troll because I cannot see any reason why someone would state that cyclists are more of a danger to motorists that as [HI]cyclists have caused more deaths and injuries to motorists than the other way around. [/HI]I have yet to read or see of any examples of this; you may have but if there are so many examples of this, surely they would appear on Google.

I have, however, seen numerous reports of cyclists being killed or injured by motorists. I also have first hand experience of both - I was knocked off by an idiot car driver who cut across in front of me as they turned right but I was lucky - my bruises and cuts healed quickly. My friend was not lucky and has a family grieving for him.

Firstly, I feel for your friend's family.

You have expanded my statement from "many" to mean "all".
I didn't mention deaths to motorists caused by cyclists.
I did try to indicate that many (that's many, not all) cyclists rely on others to recognise their vulnerability and in doing so make them invincible.
That being the case, your troll reference is uncalled for.
I still find that offensive.

As far as Google goes, I don't feel the need go there at every turn to back up what I see with my own eyes to demonstrate what I say is truth.
I doubt many folk actually read the page long blurbs copied from there and pasted, lengthy links, etc.

Of course motorists are at fault also, but many cyclists (that's many, not all) are their own worst enemy.
Legislation isn't the answer, education is.
What we are seeing here, as with other threads on the subject, is the view that only the motorist needs educating.
Sadly not so.

End of thread for me, it will, as usual, now go around in circles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
YIPPPPPEEEE!

It has turned into a motorist v cyclist thread.

Aways GREAT for a punch up on Fun.

I ride a bike...[HI] I jump traffic lights..(offence).. I ride on the pavements..(offence).. I go up one way streets the wrong way...(offence)..[/HI]

Never hurt myself or anyone else because I take care and DECIDE if it safe for me and I ALWAYS consider the people around me.

So there!

Stick that in your e-cig and smoke it.

PS. Don't speed and you don't get speeding fines.

I hope thats a tongue in cheek comment JJ.

the same laws also applies to cyclists

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I notice you highlight one paragraph but totally ignore the ensuing one where I try to explain that I never carry out these dreadful offences when it could cause a problem to me or other people.

If no traffic is coming up a one way street I will cycle down it the wrong way causing no problem to anyone. If a car approaches I just stop and get off the bike.

When I returned "home" through a completely deserted city centre I always committed the terrible sin of riding on the pavement. For goodness sake... there was no one else using the pavement. So sorry... I am a sinner but I am not going to push my bike a mile down an empty pavement because to ride it is an offence.

If people are so uptight about obeying the law at all times, no matter what the circumstances, that they dismount and wait for a red light to go to green at a completely empty cross road where there are no other vehicles, so be it. Obey a light bulb if you must but I'm not going to.

If you ride your bike up a wrong way street, ride on the pavement or ignore traffic lights when these actions could or do cause trouble to other people then you are a git.

Get it now?

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Firstly, I feel for your friend's family.

You have expanded my statement from "many" to mean "all".
I didn't mention deaths to motorists caused by cyclists.
I did try to indicate that many (that's many, not all) cyclists rely on others to recognise their vulnerability and in doing so make them invincible.
That being the case, your troll reference is uncalled for.
I still find that offensive.

As far as Google goes, I don't feel the need go there at every turn to back up what I see with my own eyes to demonstrate what I say is truth.
I doubt many folk actually read the page long blurbs copied from there and pasted, lengthy links, etc.

Of course motorists are at fault also, but many cyclists (that's many, not all) are their own worst enemy.
Legislation isn't the answer, education is.
What we are seeing here, as with other threads on the subject, is the view that only the motorist needs educating.
Sadly not so.

End of thread for me, it will, as usual, now go around in circles.

I don't think that I extended it to all cyclists but if I did, I meant many in the way that you did.

Cyclists being a danger, IMHO, includes deaths.

Some cyclists may think that they are immune to accidents but most, in my experience, don't. I agree to differ.

What you see with your eyes is your opinion of the truth. My version of the truth is based on what I have seen. I looked up references on google for cyclist causing deaths etc. because I wanted to find a balanced view before I commented on your post. I couldn't find any references that supported your view so I concluded, rightly or wrongly, that you were trolling. If you were offended, apologies, but if you make statements that effectively say that a great many cyclists are a greater danger to motorists than the other way around and that you have priority over cyclists when you are driving, I struggle to understand how you could be surprised by the response you got.

As for your statement that you feel that the thread suggests that only motorists need educating, how did you get that from my comment "I'm ignoring the list of things that cyclists do wrong because we know that all cyclists do those things ". We know that they do them so I didn't comment on them.

All road users need educating about how to drive / ride safely but IMHO this needs to be backed up with legislation.

Happy to end this discussion.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think that rather than relying on google.. Anyone doubting cyclists being their own worst enemy should have a drive through London at morning rush hour.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have developed a technique for taking cyclists on pavements off their bikes, with no damage to myself. Used it too. When you come out of hospital you then get done for riding on the pavement and hitting a pedestrian. Hilarious.

How safe on the pavement do you feel now?

You need to be careful then.

How would you feel if that cyclist was killed or seriously injured?

If that happened the police would look a little more carefully at the cause of the accident than they do if there is a minor injury.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I think that rather than relying on google.. Anyone doubting cyclists being their own worst enemy should have a drive through London at morning rush hour.

We were not referring to cyclists putting themselves in danger (which I have seen many times) but discussing whether cyclists put drivers in danger or the other way around. The use of Google was not to replace real life experience but to provide supporting evidence - I couldn't find any to support the view that had been stated - quite the opposite.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We were not referring to cyclists putting themselves in danger (which I have seen many times) but discussing whether cyclists put drivers in danger or the other way around. The use of Google was not to replace real life experience but to provide supporting evidence - I couldn't find any to support the view that had been stated - quite the opposite.

Of course they do... They undertake. They contravene red lights. They cycle on pavements and one way streets the wrong way. They don't have lights or Hi vis clothing. All of these actions have an adverse effect on other road users and put them in [HI]danger[/HI].
I do appreciate that not all cyclists do the Irresponsible things mentioned above.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back