Spanish route advice please (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Its time to head home! Near Marbella and setting off in the next day or so on homeward trip. We have enough time to spend at least 4 nights in Spain before we do the French section of our drive. Normally we head straight North, Granada,Jean, Madrid, Burgos and into France that way. This time I am looking at a change of route. There are 2 possibilities I am considering. Firstly up to Granada but then along the A92-N to Murcia then up in the direction of Valencia before doing the Terkel,Zaragoza,Pamplona way. Also looking at a route that looks longer and goes the other way i.e. Sevilla, Merida,Carceres, Salamanca,Valladolid and then Burgos into France.
Any comments please on these 2 routes, is the A92 very mountainous? etc.
We don't mind toll roads or motorways, will do some of the more minor roads but prefer dual carriageway at least. Travelling in a largish motorhome. Any other route suggestions gratefully received, just thought we'd have a change.

Deleted User
The route via Seville is actually 100km shorter according to Google maps and would be my preferred route.

I have traveled all of this route several times and is a nice easy toll free drive, dual carriageway from Seville and plenty of interesting places to stop en route if you have the time.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The Burgos , Valladolid , Salamanca , Merida is the route we will be using in a couple of weeks. Suggested by a friend who has done the trip several times. He did say that the roads are very good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
These places worth seeing might influence you:

The Alhambra.
The Mosque in Cordoba.
Avila.
Toledo.
Aranjuez.

Reactions: f6c

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We agree with Brian - Aranjeuz is worth a couple of days stop over and would change Burgos for Haro. Only a short walk to the town in both cases.

Aranjuez is where the Spanish nobility used to live, lovely park between Acsi site and town. Haro is the capital of the Rioja wine region (if I remember correctly).

Reactions: f6c
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We can recommend the " Sevilla, Merida,Carceres, Salamanca,Valladolid and then Burgos into France." route. It is mostly free motorway but with the caveat that Burgos is at quite an altitude and may well have snow at this time of year but we have travelled that way three times in February without incident.
There is a nice Aire on a marina just off the motorway at Seville. There are good ACSI sites (as well as Aires) at Salamanca and Caceres . There is also a city centre Aire at Vitoria Gastiez. We have used all of these and can recommend them.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the replies. We have actually stopped at Aranjeuz on our travels up and down. The more I hear the more I am liking the Sevilla route. Tim to look for sites next. Have been changing my mind that often as kept having doubts about all sorts on each route, I feel a lot better now I've had all your help.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'll just throw this into the mix.
The Valencia route gets to 3500Ft + after about 100kms and when we were on that route a month ago (following the weather that killed off the Cauli's , Courgettes and Lettuce) there was a foot of snow at the side of the road.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Seville route is ok and a good aire at Caceres and Burgos also Palencia we have done the trip several times

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
If you go the Valencia/Teruel way the town of Albarracin is well worth a visit, described as the most beautiful town in Spain the walls were built by the Arabs and the houses climb up the steep hillsides beside narrow walkways. Very quaint place. Teruel has 'the lovers' tomb' in the main church. Zaragoza is a busy city but the old part is worth a wander round for the architecture.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back