Spanish Police - New Radar Tactic (1 Viewer)

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
Well new to us anyway.
Driving past Alicante Airport on the N338 up the hill before the junction with the A70 we spotted two Police motorcycles parked up with the officers casually watching the traffic. However one bike had the seat raised against the handlebars with a speed camera just visible monitoring the traffic. The speed limit on this stretch is 80kph just in case anyone is visiting this part of Spain.

Under the recent changes in legislation in Spain the Police do not have to stop you, just record the traffic violation and send you a fine wherever you are in Europe. ::bigsmile:riving2::Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sending you a fine by post is One thing.....getting payment is another :roflmto:

Actually i read somewhere the various EU countries gov departments are now working together and our gov will chase the fine on the Spanish govs behalf.....so theres no escape.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
sending you a fine by post is One thing.....getting payment is another :roflmto:

Actually i read somewhere the various EU countries gov departments are now working together and our gov will chase the fine on the Spanish govs behalf.....[HI]so theres no escape.
[/HI]

I don't see why there should be .... generally speed limits are there for a reason. I know it is possible and easy to make a mistake (been there, done that but not been caught) but speed kills.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[/HI]

I don't see why there should be .... generally speed limits are there for a reason. I know it is possible and easy to make a mistake (been there, done that but not been caught) but speed kills.

not saying speeding is acceptable but just because the offence was committed in Spain doesnt mean it will go away in the UK.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It wasn't a personal attack John - hope you didn't read it that way. :Sad:

Hope the fine collection is reciprocated and EU speedsters caught here are also forced to pay up.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Will they be endorseable I wonder, and if so by who, Spain or the UK.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
[/HI]

Not that I condone conscious speeding, as all speed can kill depends where the contact takes place.......but 32mph in a 30mph restriction warrants points on your licence plus a fine:Doh: are the foreign lorry drivers still getting away with speeding fines:Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Hope the fine collection is reciprocated and EU speedsters caught here are also forced to pay up.

no problem, i never took it as an attack. :thumb:

It may be reciprical to the rest of Europe but you know Spain has its own set of rules which, in the whole, dont tally with the rest of us. :roflmto:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Thought this may be of interest which I received in Spain. I received this last month

Please read below regarding changes to the Traffic Laws in Spain.
All drivers in Spain are being advised to familiarize themselves with the new traffic laws that are set to take effect from tomorrow (Friday May 9).
Some of the new laws include:
If the Guardia Civil observe a motoring offence and note the vehicle registration number, this provides sufficient evidence to prosecute. There is no need to stop the vehicle.
There will be a fine of €600 and a loss of six points for a ‘very serious’ speeding offence.
There is a loss of six points and a fine of €500 for lesser speeding offences.
Speeding fines can apply for exceeding the limit by just 1kph.
On some motorways the speed limit is being increased from 120kph to 130kph.
However, in some towns the speed limit is being reduced from 30kph to 20kph.
If a radar inhibitor/speed camera detector of any sort is installed in the car, the fine is anything up to €6,000 and the loss of six points.
A fine of €1,800 will be levied if the car has been involved in a serious or very serious offence and the national police authority (DGP) is not notified of who was driving the car. There will be no loss of points for this.
If the vehicle weighs less than 3,500 kilos and has no valid insurance the fine will be €1,500, no loss of points but the vehicle will be immobilised for one month. If the vehicle is parked and has no insurance then the fine is €800.
If the driver doubles the legal alcohol limit, is a frequent offender or refuses to take the breath test then there is a loss of six points and a fine of €1,000.
There will also be a loss of four points for a driver who is over the alcohol limit but without doubling it. The same applies for driving under the influence of drugs.
A loss of four points will be applied if the driver is not correctly licensed for the vehicle.
Drivers have higher duties under the new laws to ensure the safety of cyclists of all ages.
Cyclists under the age of 16 must wear a helmet.
The Guardia Civil has the right to seize any vehicle carrying children without legally compliant child seats.
The specific rules as to where children must sit in the vehicle (according to age/ height) must be observed. Failure to comply may result in heavy fines.
An EU Directive will be implemented so that driving offences committed in one EU country are reported to the EU country of registration of the vehicle in question.
Strict rules are being implemented for the Spanish registration of foreign registered vehicles kept in Spain.

Geoff Salter
President & Membership Secretary
VECINOS COOPERANDO Y COLABORANDO DE ESPANA

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Will they be endorseable I wonder, and if so by who, Spain or the UK.

endorsements dont generate income...fines do.

I would say Spain, but they have a different points system to ours.

From what i understand drink driving doesnt always result in a ban depending on how drunk you are.....but a bloody big fine instead.

Spain needs to increase its national income before it goes bankrupt and has to be bailed out by Brussels (the rest of us :Angry:), so heavy fines will be the order of the day.

Another reason why they have really clamped down on motoring offences which at one time would have been overlooked...ie: A frames.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Like all the wagons on the A75!

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp

Actually i read somewhere the various EU countries gov departments are now working together and our gov will chase the fine on the Spanish govs behalf.....so theres no escape.

It does not work the other way, UK offences are still not being chased in most cases because overseas goverments cannot be bothered to do it

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

Well new to us anyway.
Driving past Alicante Airport on the N338 up the hill before the junction with the A70 we spotted two Police motorcycles parked up with the officers casually watching the traffic. However one bike had the seat raised against the handlebars with a speed camera just visible monitoring the traffic. The speed limit on this stretch is 80kph just in case anyone is visiting this part of Spain.

Under the recent changes in legislation in Spain the Police do not have to stop you, just record the traffic violation and send you a fine wherever you are in Europe. ::bigsmile:riving2::Eeek:
just don't speed as in Rome do wat the thingies do........:ROFLMAO:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I'm surprised at the casual acceptance of the idea of police honesty here. Don't speed and you won't have a problem. Really?

Not stopping you at the time of alleged speeding means that information about the condition of the radar gun used can be hidden. So if you later receive a fine you have no chance of contesting it. And that's assuming that the police in question are themselves honest - if they are given targets and quotas then they have every incentive to lie and so long as the fines keep rolling in they will not be held to account. Why else would such rules, which limit or deny the motorist proper justice, be introduced.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is a bit like some places in Saudi Arabia where nobody (except the locals) ever speeded past a broken down car - frequently a cop car with a radar gun. Even then it often didn't matter if you speeded or not... it would either cost an official fine or an unofficial one :winky: of course, the locals always got away with it.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Cost me a 100 euros not so long ago as they say I approached a toll at 120km I don't think I was doing that but no point arguing and no points on my licence luckily.

S'pose if my Spanish was better might have aurged a bit but was in a hurry anyway:RollEyes:

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Cost me a 100 euros not so long ago as they say I approached a toll at 120km I don't think I was doing that but no point arguing and no points on my licence luckily.

S'pose if my Spanish was better might have aurged a bit but was in a hurry anyway:RollEyes:

Hard to argue even if you know you are right. :Sad:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thank god it's Spain and not France!
Got back today and the score was roughly cameras 8 Vlad 0 :Doh:
Cameras just seemed to go off at random different speeds,the cars in front did not seem to set them off .Its been suggested that size may be a factor,although not a blessing in this case:Blush:

Vlad

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm surprised at the casual acceptance of the idea of police honesty here. Don't speed and you won't have a problem. Really?

I agree I am naive..... too trusting by far I am told.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Not stopping you at the time of alleged speeding means that information about the condition of the radar gun used can be hidden. So if you later receive a fine you have no chance of contesting it. And that's assuming that the police in question are themselves honest - if they are given targets and quotas then they have every incentive to lie and so long as the fines keep rolling in they will not be held to account. Why else would such rules, which limit or deny the motorist proper justice, be introduced.

You may well be right, BUT, I just thought that I would point out that the police in the UK do not have to stop you for speeding either, they can just take your number and report you for speeding, they have been able to do this for a very long time!

You may wonder how I can be so sure, well I drove a car past the police station in Walthamstow 53 years ago (yes I am that bloody old) a copper was walking out of the police station as I drove past, he estimated my speed at 40 mph in a 30 zone. Cut a short story long, I had to go to court, I pleaded not guilty saying that, because I was passing the police station I was of course sticking to the speed limit. So on being found guilty, I paid the fine and left.:Angry:

So its not "New" in in the UK and if the truth be known in Spain either.

I have lived on and off in Spain for 11 years, and whilst the police can be a pain sometimes, I can assure you it is not as bad as it sounds.:Smile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I was flashed in France recently in a 110 zone. I was doing under 70 mph. Fortunately I noticed a grey metalic BMW in the outside lane. I just hope they are in the frame and not me :Eeek:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
You don't need to worry about the Spanish authorities chasing you yet.

The following was posted on another forum by a lawyer:

Drivers are going to have to become familiar with a new directive. But not just yet. Sorry if I drift into legalese. There has been stuff posted on here about the new notification directive, BUT the EU Court of Justice has struck it down.

The directive applies to these offences speeding, non-use of a seat-belt, failing to stop at a red traffic light, drink-driving, driving under the influence of drugs, failing to wear a crash helmet, use of a forbidden lane and illegally using a mobile telephone, and allows automatic access to the UK vehicle registration data.

This is potentially of importance to the UK drivers who venture abroad.

The road traffic offences directive was annulled,on the ground that its legal basis was wrong.

However, the directive has been maintained in force (unlike the data retention directive) for a year to allow it to be re-introduced on the correct legal basis.

The history is this. The European Commission introduced the directive in the first place on the legal basis of Article 91 of the TFEU (road safety). The Council, eventually supported by a reluctant parliament - which wanted to bring the matter to an end after three years of negotiation - passed it on the basis of Article 87 TFEU (police co-operation). The Commission then took the matter to court.

You may wonder what difference this makes, to the UK.

Well, the UK has an opt-out from Article 87 (police co-operation), and so the directive has not so far applied to the UK. You will not be surprised to learn that the UK intervened in the case - along with a few others, it must be said - to argue that Article 87 was the correct legal basis after all. But now that Article 87 has been shown to be wrong, and the directive is going to be re-introduced on the correct basis (presumably Article 91 – road safety, from which the UK does not have an opt-out), anyone committing cross-border traffic offences is eventually going to have to watch out.

So what does the annulled directive do? It sets up a procedure for the exchange of information between member states in relation to eight road traffic offences (speeding, non-use of a seat-belt, failing to stop at a red traffic light, drink-driving, driving under the influence of drugs, failing to wear a crash helmet, use of a forbidden lane and illegally using a mobile telephone). The member states can access each other’s national data on vehicle registration in order to determine the person liable for the offence.

However, it is not as far-reaching as the Commission originally wanted. In particular, the current directive has no provisions on what should be done if the offender simply decides to ignore orders for payment. ie Fines cannot be enforced cross border nor penalty points, disqualifications or endorsements. But a new proposal could change that. When the member states altered the legal basis during the adoption process, they threw out a section dealing with legal proceedings for infractions and possible sanctions.

As a result, the current directive does not guarantee sanctions, but only mutual access to vehicle registration data.

It is unlikely that the Commission will introduce controversial new measures now to address this gap in the new directive, since it would probably not then pass in the 12 months allowed. But we can expect such measures in the future, now that the legal basis has been settled. And those new measures will apply equally to UK drivers elsewhere in the EU, and to EU drivers in the UK.

Apparently 5% of drivers on EU roads are from another member state, other than their home state but they account for 15% of traffic offences.

Mike

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
You may well be right, BUT, I just thought that I would point out that the police in the UK do not have to stop you for speeding either, they can just take your number and report you for speeding, they have been able to do this for a very long time!

You may wonder how I can be so sure, well I drove a car past the police station in Walthamstow 53 years ago (yes I am that bloody old) a copper was walking out of the police station as I drove past, he estimated my speed at 40 mph in a 30 zone. Cut a short story long, I had to go to court, I pleaded not guilty saying that, because I was passing the police station I was of course sticking to the speed limit. So on being found guilty, I paid the fine and left.:Angry:

So its not "New" in in the UK and if the truth be known in Spain either.

I have lived on and off in Spain for 11 years, and whilst the police can be a pain sometimes, I can assure you it is not as bad as it sounds.:Smile:

I never said anything about country specifics. It is becoming increasingly clear just how bent many police are in the UK. I don't think there's a country in the world where the police can be trusted. Human nature dictates that power corrupts, marry that with performance requirements and it's a recipe for abuse. But 53 years ago they didn't have radar guns to use so their word was more readily accepted in court - and in that era every policeman was regarded as an unimpeachable Dixon of Dock Green type.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I never said anything about country specifics. It is becoming increasingly clear just how bent many police are in the UK. I don't think there's a country in the world where the police can be trusted. Human nature dictates that power corrupts, marry that with performance requirements and it's a recipe for abuse. But 53 years ago they didn't have radar guns to use so their word was more readily accepted in court - and in that era every policeman was regarded as an unimpeachable Dixon of Dock Green type.

Ah! Dixon of Dock Green, NOW yur talking:thumb:

Have to say though, with the new suggested regs for speeding in the UK maybe Spain aint so bad.:Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I never said anything about country specifics. [HI]It is becoming increasingly clear just how bent many police are in the UK.[/HI] I don't think there's a country in the world where the police can be trusted. Human nature dictates that power corrupts, marry that with performance requirements and it's a recipe for abuse. But 53 years ago they didn't have radar guns to use so their word was more readily accepted in court - and in that era every policeman was regarded as an unimpeachable Dixon of Dock Green type.

Really?

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back